Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Ciaran has always come across to me as a hungry, technically competent player who doesn't ever doubt himself when it comes to getting in a handy position and getting on the scoresheet. What he has never come across to me as, is a player with any kind of innate sense of positional awareness or a centre half's knack for killing attacks. I'd rate him as a DM more than I do as a CB, but that's only because I think he's a total liability as CB.

Long story short, he would have to score a hell of a lot of game-saving goals to compensate for his defensive wobbliness IMO. Not a first team player. Weirdly, I think he could have carved out a niche for himself as a Zigic-style, championship-level centre forward if anyone would have seen fit to coach him in that direction. As it is, I don't think he's any kind of centre back.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just needs a run of games, imo.

Of all our centre backs, he is easily the most comfortable on the ball. This is important if we are to keep playing the way we did at Newcastle where we played out from the back more often than not and kept the long balls to a minimum.

I'm a fan of Clark, but I'm actually more confident when Baker is in central defence. Baker is more physically suited to being a centre-half. But I suppose weight/ strength is not everything.

I think/hope he can be a good CB. He is pretty smart positionally and good with the ball. Plus he has an eye for goal.

I would say he has almost everything EXCEPT for the "pretty smart positionally", certainly from a defensive perspective. For me, he is not good in this respect hence he keeps having to try and recover and ends up giving free kicks (and bookings) away. I am hoping that this can be taught him. Baker, again from the limited amount that I have seen of him as a CB, appears to me to be ahead of Clark in this respect. I also think he is a little lightweight, as Carroll exposed two seasons ago, and thus would need to work with a strong partner when coming up against the West Hams, Boltons etc. that play with a big no. 9.

I'm a fan of Clark, but I'm actually more confident when Baker is in central defence. Baker is more physically suited to being a centre-half. But I suppose weight/ strength is not everything.

I know what you mean. Baker is a no-nonsense centre back and they do give you more confidence because they tend to act first and ask questions later whereas the more cultured types can get caught out playing football from the back. I just want to see how good Clark could become. If let, he could be our Rio.

Am I the kerayziest lunatic in the world for thinking it would be worth trying him out as a striker?

He's obviously a talented player, but whether CB is his best position seems to still be open to debate, so...

Edit: Ah, I see 8pints has already stolen my thunder/kerayziest lunatic title (delete as appropriate).

Am I the kerayziest lunatic in the world for thinking it would be worth trying him out as a striker?

He's obviously a talented player, but whether CB is his best position seems to still be open to debate, so...

Edit: Ah, I see 8pints has already stolen my thunder/kerayziest lunatic title (delete as appropriate).

Not just you two.
Weirdly, I think he could have carved out a niche for himself as a Zigic-style, championship-level centre forward if anyone would have seen fit to coach him in that direction.
...although since I don't really rate him I didn't make the most favourable comparison.

I'm sure I read something a while back, saying that in Clark's career he has been played at centre back, left back, central midfield, striker and he once played in goal when there was no goalie available!

I think when he was younger he fancied himself as a striker (hence his versatility and ability on the ball!), but then got trained as a defender.

I'd personally hate to see us use him as a striker! He doesn't have the pace or strength to be a 'big striker', and he doesn't have the ability on the ball to go round a player/ make space to get a shot on goal.

Clark is best placed as a central defender > defensive midfielder > left back

IMO

Ciaran has always come across to me as a hungry, technically competent player who doesn't ever doubt himself when it comes to getting in a handy position and getting on the scoresheet. What he has never come across to me as, is a player with any kind of innate sense of positional awareness or a centre half's knack for killing attacks. I'd rate him as a DM more than I do as a CB, but that's only because I think he's a total liability as CB.

Long story short, he would have to score a hell of a lot of game-saving goals to compensate for his defensive wobbliness IMO. Not a first team player. Weirdly, I think he could have carved out a niche for himself as a Zigic-style, championship-level centre forward if anyone would have seen fit to coach him in that direction. As it is, I don't think he's any kind of centre back.

Couldn't agree more.

Not strong enough in the air for a CB and is most definate the weak link.

Many times on Sunday he was caught ball watching and leaving Vlaar to look for Demba Ba and Cisse.

He's a funny player Ciaran as he has undoubted skill and is comfortable on the ball and has that goal scoring knack but I'd rather see Baker play CB.

Agreed he is a funny player and it is a big season for him.

Has plenty of positive attributes - great on ball, and one of the better attacking defenders I've seen. Has a good goal scoring ratio.

But looked pretty awful if I'm honest against Everton.

Agree with BOF that hopefully with experience his mistakes will be fewer in number where as Dunne's will presumably just increase.

Baker too made plenty of errors when he came into the side last season.

It is a really steep learning curve for the both of them - and our season really rests on one of them rising to the challenge.

he can score goals.. he and Vlaar are a threat in set pieces.

Its his first full season as first choice it seems.. give him 10 or so games and let him settle. New partnership also. Give him time before we attack the kid. Looked good against Newcastle. They were all shit at Everton

Â