Eric Lichaj

Rob182

Herd is completely understandable though. Herd was a serious liability every time he played. Lichaj has been strong defensively barring a couple of games. I don't understand why he is being ignored. 

??????????

Herd isn't a liability when played as a midfielder. Bizarre comment.

Herd is completely understandable though. Herd was a serious liability every time he played. Lichaj has been strong defensively barring a couple of games. I don't understand why he is being ignored. 

??????????

Herd isn't a liability when played as a midfielder. Bizarre comment.

He has not played that position this season. He has played only in the defense and been poor every time. 

There's one or two that seem to be out of the picture at the moment, herd is another

Herd is only just back from injury.

With regard to Lichaj In all fairness Bennett is always likely to be ahead of him. Lambert signed him and clearly sees something in him and I guess is hoping the more experience he gains at this level the better he will become. I happen to agree with him.

Lichaj will be 25 this year and I don't see him improving. Love his attitude and his workrate but don't see him as quite good enough for this level. Handy squad player though.

• Like 1

Reality is Lichaj, Herd, Ireland and Albrighton all need to move out this summer .

I'd say let albrighton move out on loan to a championship side.

he needs to play games, he has the talent to be a good player for us, more than the other three, but he lacks the experience and is not going to get it with us.

I'd think he'll be granted a permanent move to the Championship in the summer.

He's not being picked so I think it's certain he'll be sold in the summer. Whoever gets him will get at minimum a solid player.

If I was a bottom-half table Premier League manager or a newly promoted side (e.g. Cardiff) I would seriously think about an offer. 

Lichaj helped us to 4 league victories (Swansea, Sunderland, Reading, Liverpool) and was in the team for the Cup runs. He's not not in the team because he's a liability but because he's not the style of player that Lambert wants.

Lambert wants speedy and athletic wingbacks in the Kyle Walker mould, like Bennett and Lowton. Bennett has been a liability and still got picked over dependable Lichaj because he has the style Lambert wants.

Lichaj will be solid in a lower-half Premiership side that doesn't yet have flying wing-backs as a priority.

I might be partial to Lichaj as a fellow American (although don't get me wrong -- he's not good enough for our national team), but I think he's a lot more solid defensively than Bennett and should be getting some games during the final run-in. I understand Lambert wants his full-backs to push on, but that's the reason our defense is so flimsy this season, frankly. Defense needs to be shored up. I think Bennett has a lot more potential than Lichaj in the long run, but he's not there yet and won't be any time soon.

I don't think Lichaj has done much wrong to be honest.

I don't rate Herd at all.

I don't think he's done much wrong either - he just doesn't offer enough, particularly going forward. He's OK defensively and poor pushing on. I'd be happy to keep him as a squaddie but for the sake of his own career he needs to leave and I'll be amazed if that doesn't mean dropping down a division. Herd I'd keep for his versatility.

I might be partial to Lichaj as a fellow American (although don't get me wrong -- he's not good enough for our national team), but I think he's a lot more solid defensively than Bennett and should be getting some games during the final run-in. I understand Lambert wants his full-backs to push on, but that's the reason our defense is so flimsy this season, frankly. Defense needs to be shored up. I think Bennett has a lot more potential than Lichaj in the long run, but he's not there yet and won't be any time soon.

Surely Baker plays there? He's better defensively and going forward than Lichaj. We'll likely need Eric at RB if Lowton gets booked against Liverpool, but otherwise I can't see him getting any games.

Surely Baker plays there? He's better defensively and going forward than Lichaj. We'll likely need Eric at RB if Lowton gets booked against Liverpool, but otherwise I can't see him getting any games.

Yeah you're right, I was thinking of Baker as both injured and also knackered & in need of a rest, but I forgot we've got the international break coming up -- he should be ready to go for the Liverpool match, and at this stage of the season, the less tinkering the better probably. I'd like Lichaj to at least make the bench ahead of Bennett, though. :)

Reality is Lichaj, Herd, Ireland and Albrighton all need to move out this summer .

I'd agree with this, we can probably get rid of Lichaj and Albrighton quite easily.

Herd might leave on a free imo although who knows a championship club might be in for him.

Ireland will be the tough one.. really cannot see any club taking a chance on him. (He will probably leave on a free next summer)

Edited by dudevillaisnice

• 3 weeks later...

What's happened to the Lichaj vs Bennett fighting for the LB position?

Bennett has been poor defensively for a number of games on the trot, yet his played every game start to finish. 

I wouldn't say that is true. Bennett has improved apart from the one mistake vs QPR, although it wasn't hard.

But yes it's strange how outcast Lichaj has been, given Bennett's form over the season as a whole.

I like Lichaj he is an honest player. but I think it indicates how far down the pecking order he is and can see him being moved on in summer maybe to Championship club

His contract is up as far as I know. You would imagine he'll get a job handy enough at Championship level, just hope it's not with us.

Â