Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two are desperate for the job. It's so obvious. On Monday night Sven expressed interest. The job had been open literally 5 hours.

At about 12am, just after Bradley stated he was desperate to work in Europe. :lol:

but i believe sven has also said that there has been no contact with the club, so there's no need to read anything other than that he wants to coach the villa... i want to coach the villa, but unfortunately i don't have sufficient reputation for that to be newsworthy...

While my first choice would be Jol, I don't think Curbishley would be as bad as some are making out. He did a brilliant job at Charlton, and at West Ham he pulled of a minor miracle to save them from relegation, then gave them a top 10 finish. Sure, he's never managed a club of Villa's size, but there aren't really any negatives in his management record.

However the idea of Southgate or Bradley taking over fills me with horror.

Sven is a media junkie, it wasn't long after Rafa left Liverpool he was busy declaring himself a lifelong Liverpool fan with aspirations of managing them. There's been no contact with him and I imagine it will remain that way.

Definite no to Bradley from me.

The ranking of the US side is bloated by results in the CONCACAF against some pretty poor sides.

They have improved over the years, and have got some eye-catching results (largely in non competitive games, it must be said). He might be one to watch if he chances his arm in Europe with a smaller side, with lower expectations.

But nothing in his record indicates he should be managing one the bigger sides in England yet.

I'd rather go for Martinez than him, someone who has worked his way up the domestic leagues in England and got a limited side like Wigan to play a more expansive game.

But then I'd rather go for Jol or Klinsmann than any of the above.

Jol has managed both in this country and in Europe to a high standard and would be a relatively risk-free appointment. He also got Tottenham to finish 5th - something MON never managed. And by rights they should have finished 4th that year.

I understand the reservations about Klinsmann, but the impact an arrival like might have could be immense, both from the point of view of the calibre of player we could attract and the overall image of the club. His club experience might be limited, but failing to win the title at Bayern doesn't automatically mean he'd be doomed to failure at VP. Different clubs, different expectations. His impact at international level with Germany was very positive, and the benefits are still being felt now. Loew was also his choice as assistant, so it's quite likely he'd be able to pick talented backroom staff to fill in any knowledge gaps he might have.

For years I've felt we've lacked that player who could give us that 'lift off' moment, similar to what Gullit gave Chelsea. I had hoped MON might be brave enough and enough of a pull to attract such a player. But he largely played it safe, with journeymen pros such as Harewood, Heskey, Sidwell and the like.

Klinsmann -or somebody similar- might be bold enough to take the next step.

the next appointment of manager, imho, must show enough ambition to retain the likes of ash, gabby etc... without which, we are going backwards at a rate of knots...

Retaining Gabby will be difficult considering the rash of clubs beating down the door to sign him.

Those two are desperate for the job. It's so obvious. On Monday night Sven expressed interest. The job had been open literally 5 hours.

There seems to be this misconception that the only 'names' interested in the job are those who are desperate.

Aston Villa is a huge club in the most popular and richest league in the world. There are plenty of people out there that haven't even been thought of who will be vying for the job.

There seems to be this misconception that the only 'names' interested in the job are those who are desperate.

Aston Villa is a huge club in the most popular and richest league in the world. There are plenty of people out there that haven't even been thought of who will be vying for the job.

Again 110% correct sir.

I remember when BFR joined us as I had just moved to a job in Sheffield at the time. There was no way he was leaving Wednesday, he even said so at a fans meeting and on TV, within a couple of days he was being paraded as Villa boss. There was a good fanzine cartoon that went something like

BFR "There is no way I will leave Wednesday they are a great club"

Villa "Here is a million pounds"

BFR "Yeah it is a long way from Barnt Green to Sheffield"

We are a big club with excellent players and a good infrastructure. We still have a lot more positives than negatives, all the things that certain managers despite their public denials of interest would want.

I'd rather go for Martinez than him, someone who has worked his way up the domestic leagues in England and got a limited side like Wigan to play a more expansive game.

But then I'd rather go for Jol or Klinsmann than any of the above.

Jol has managed both in this country and in Europe to a high standard and would be a relatively risk-free appointment. He also got Tottenham to finish 5th - something MON never managed. And by rights they should have finished 4th that year.

..I don't suppose that has anything to do with the fact that he's never actually managed Tottenham.?? :lol:

Sven is odds on according to Betfred loads of money was punted last night according to the guy who goes on talksport.

Agreed Mr.Smalljob ..............

Any of these come in then I can't see I can go down VP till they are gone, which wouldnt be long.

Bob Bradley

Gareth Southgate

Alan Curbishley

Sven

The perfect fit would be Moyes,but that isnt going to happen, so for me its got to be Jol.

If we can't get either of those, rather take a chance with someone like Simon Grayson .

If still no then its got to be a dream team of

Maradonna, Mcgrath and Merson.

All as player managers.