Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I'd take Coppell. But he says he's retiring from management.

So now that MON has left we should just give up all sense of pride and just grab any random dude that can walk and talk?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Coppell. But he says he's retiring from management.

So now that MON has left we should just give up all sense of pride and just grab any random dude that can walk and talk?

Even that is questionable!

We're hiring Steven Hawking?

What's van Gaal doing these days? To me, him or Hiddink would be fantastic appointments. Will never happen of course, but still. I think we will get a guy few or none of us have mentioned on this thread. No idea who, just got a feeling that Lerner & Co are searching outside the range of standard shite candidates. Curbishley? Really, are you having a laff?

I understand the reservations about Klinsmann, but the impact an arrival like might have could be immense, both from the point of view of the calibre of player we could attract and the overall image of the club. His club experience might be limited, but failing to win the title at Bayern doesn't automatically mean he'd be doomed to failure at VP. Different clubs, different expectations. His impact at international level with Germany was very positive, and the benefits are still being felt now. Loew was also his choice as assistant, so it's quite likely he'd be able to pick talented backroom staff to fill in any knowledge gaps he might have.

For years I've felt we've lacked that player who could give us that 'lift off' moment, similar to what Gullit gave Chelsea. I had hoped MON might be brave enough and enough of a pull to attract such a player. But he largely played it safe, with journeymen pros such as Harewood, Heskey, Sidwell and the like.

Klinsmann -or somebody similar- might be bold enough to take the next step.

I'd go along with this. I like his style of fast-paced attacking football, he's a big name in the football world, and (from what I've seen) a likeable, charismatic character who could attract some good players to Villa.

No guarantee of success, of course, but then that goes for all the other candidates. I just think with Klinsmann it could be an exciting ride, however it turns out.

Please not Sven, anyway. I'd much rather we carried on with MacDonald for a while and see what happens.

For all the talk of a big name manager, I'm not sure that that would be the best for the club. Obviously the manager will need to work on a tight budget and therefore it would be best to have someone used to working like.

I think Martinez could be good shout and he also gets his teams playing attractive football. I also think that Nigel Clough would be a good shout.

Whoever it is we all love the Villa and will just have to support the boards decision and hope it is best for the club.

Please not Coppell

Of course if won't be Coppell. Without being even close to ITK, I will bed my wife (yeah, that is a reference to all you other pantsies out there wanting to bed donkeys and what have you not) if the grand plan was to get MON away, have Coppell resign from BC and appoint him. They have not come up with a shortlist yet. I am pretty sure we will have to wait at least a week before this is settled, perhaps several weeks. It takes time to identify suitable candidates, then find out whether they are interested, and possible buy the right guy out from his current club. Not that different from player transfers I would gather.

All these top managers being mentioned on here, I think people ought to get real and realise what is happening at the club

If you mean regarding the cost cutting, and managing within our means, then I think we're in the same boat as 18 of the other 20 Premiership teams. Only Man City and Chelsea have any money it seems.

All these top managers being mentioned on here, I think people ought to get real and realise what is happening at the club

I mentioned van Gaal and Hiddink. I also said it will never happen. It will be someone that makes us all go "aahh, did not think of him" or "who?".

I've a funny feeling we'll appoint somebody that we've not been linked with.

Is Laursen doing his coaching badges? Sounds ridiculous but after this week nothing would surprise me!

I'm warming to Klinsmann now

So, on this page alone we have Klinsman, Van Gaal ...and Coppell!!

One of these I would not be happy with!

Let me guess..... you don't want Klinsmann, you haven't forgiven him for his headbutt attack on Bosnich's knee all those years ago?

Yes we cannot spend billions like City, unless the fairies make it appear out of nowhere.