Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite scary! Surely that must mean that they know something?

I'm getting horrible thoughts now, Steven Ireland arriving tomorrow, to meet up with his old manager.......Sven! :shock:

I was thinking it funny how the Ireland deal still seems to be going through, hmmmm.

Sven would be a terrible appointment.

Well, we're in a terrible situation.

Sven has a pretty decent record managing football clubs tbh.

Most of us would probably have Jol or Hiddink, but we're not going to get 'em as far as I can see.

Sven has a point to prove. He is an intelligent bloke, and probably the best of the ones who are actually a possibility.

The prospect of getting Martin Jol (and Ireland) is the only thing keeping my spirits up at the moment.

Don't think Sven would be AS bad as some people seem to think, but the other names mentioned would be a massive step in the wrong direction. Curbishley? Southgate? How embarrassing would that be?

Really hope we're singing 'Martin Jol's claret and blue army!' against Newcastle.

This is actually my preferred solution

Aston Villa refuse to be rushed in search for Martin O'Neill's successor

Caretaker coach may be in charge for extended period

• Chief executive to meet Ashley Young's representatives

* Stuart James

* The Guardian, Thursday 12 August 2010

Aston Villa are considering giving Kevin MacDonald an extended spell in charge to buy themselves some time to find a successor to Martin O'Neill.

Villa have been inundated with applications since O'Neill quit as manager on Monday but the club are determined not to be rushed into a decision and are now prepared to let MacDonald remain in post for a couple of weeks, possibly even longer.

MacDonald, the reserve-team manager, was given the job on a caretaker basis on Monday, when O'Neill handed in his resignation and caught everyone at Villa by surprise. Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, flew into England the following morning to meet Paul Faulkner, the club's chief executive, to begin drawing up a shortlist and assessing the merits of those interested. However they have since come to the conclusion that the process could take some time.

That decision is also a reflection of the absence of any outstanding candidates to choose from. Sven-Goran Eriksson has been installed as the new favourite but there has been no contact from Villa and sources close to the Swede have played down his chances. Mark Hughes and Martin Jol would both have been strong contenders but they look to be out of reach, leaving Villa with limited options.

Lerner and Faulkner have faith in MacDonald to do the job in the meantime, with the former Republic of Ireland assistant certain to be in charge for Saturday's game against West Ham United and possibly both legs of the Europa League tie against Rapid Vienna and the Premier League match away at Newcastle in between. MacDonald is regarded as an excellent coach and is well respected by the players.

Stuart James usually has a good inside track on Villa Park matters, so this is a serious article.

I hope he's right. Every time I look at the list of available managers my heart sinks.

As far as I'm concerned Jol isn't available - he's just recommitted to Ajax after being courted by Fulham. I don't think he's the sort of guy to go back on that commitment and, if he was, would we really want him?

Sven fills me with horror - his recent managerial track record is pretty disastrous -and most of the other suggestions are for mid-table managers.

If Kevin MacDonald is up for it, I would let him have a go, at least until January.

Mind you, his body language didn't look too confident in the interview I was watching on the shiny new OS.

If there is nobody worth taking, that Randy believes aren't good enough for the club in the long run then why rush it? MacDonald is capable enough of handling these bunch of players until a candidate comes along.

Sven fills me with horror - his recent managerial track record is pretty disastrous -and most of the other suggestions are for mid-table managers.

I've not followed Sven all that closely, but wasn't Man City the last club he managed? I don't think you can draw conclusions from international management of minor football countries, even though his record recently has indeed been bad.

I'm guessing you'd rather have Sven than, say Bob Bradley, though.

Not one manager excites me at the minute which is a real shame.

Now I'm going to through a name out here and don't give me stick but I think he's done a good job and did beat us last game of the season.........Big Sam anyone??????????

That link isn't working Jas.

http://tiny.cc/s6cc7

Sorry mate, try the above. I tried to be clever about it. :lol:

Was just watching the Red Bulls game and Bradley was in the crowd. The commentators said they had it on good authority Bradley had resigned and the well respected US Media (the site I have linked) have got the inside scoop.

They went on to state that he is attracting interest from Aston Villa and DC United.

Really hope he hasn't resigned to come here.