Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MON is meant to be a pleasant, charming man; I always thought he talked absolute rot as most of the time in his role as manager and as a pundit for TV, guess we might see more of that now.

Anyway, it's not about who I like, it's about who's best for the job, who can get results to take this club forward. Its as black and white and clinical as that for me, I don't know why people get into the personality side. It's the same in politics, it drives me mad, guess it's the crazy world we live in.

Regards Sven, just reading up on him on wikipedia and came across this, which I totally forgot about..

"In 2006, he was recorded saying he would be willing to leave England to manage Aston Villa if England won the World Cup, after being duped into believing that a wealthy Arab would buy the club and wanted him as manager. The wealthy "Arab" was in fact the Mazher Mahmood, an undercover News of the World reporter."

Jeez, if only we had a wealthy arab coming in and sven could become our chequebook manager anyday of the week for me!

Sven reported to have been seen at brum airport today and out of the candidates for the job sven jol and bilic look the best with the stats

This would be the reason for his odds changing from 3/1 to evens in the last 24 hours then.

However, I would treat the spotting with a pinch of salt... I'm sure there are more conspicuous ways of concluding deals... if indeed there is a deal to conclude.

As long as we sign a Brazilian player, I don't care what happens next.

Sven likes a Brazilian.

Apparently.

Problem solved. I'm sure he could shave some off the wage budget too.

I got that mate, not sure if anyone else did though!

:wink:

As long as we sign a Brazilian player, I don't care what happens next.

Sven likes a Brazilian.

Apparently.

Problem solved. I'm sure he could shave some off the wage budget too.

I got that mate, not sure if anyone else did though!

:wink:

You got a Brazilian? Brave.

Sven is a management playboy. He is motionless on the touchline, and his laid back approach would quickly get on everyones wick. Does any of this matter ? - not directly - but it quickly builds as non committment to the cause.

All that said - with 2 days until the big kick we could do a lot worse. He has experience of managing big clubs, and managing in the PL - On paper only JOL comes close - and he will take some shifting.

Sven is a management playboy. He is motionless on the touchline, and his laid back approach would quickly get on everyones wick. Does any of this matter ? - not directly - but it quickly builds as non committment to the cause.

All that said - with 2 days until the big kick we could do a lot worse. He has experience of managing big clubs, and managing in the PL - On paper only JOL comes close - and he will take some shifting.

Personally I'm not too bothered about managers on the touchlines. Yes it was great to see O'Neill kicking every ball and celebrating like a jack-in-the-box, but the important thing is results.

If the players get the message, the team are playing well, and we're making progress, then our manager could be asleep in the dugout for all I care.

I would love Klinsmann to become manager. He is the antithesis of MON and I think his footballing philosophy is great. He likes fast flowing counter attacking football but in a more modern flowing and technical sense than MON. He is also the epitome of a modern forward thinking manager that brings a lot of new ideas to the table regarding coaching, training and player development. His philosophy is also to integrate the youth, reserve and senior teams by getting them to all play the same type of football so that the reserves become a natural feeder team for the senior team and will be able to easily fit in because they have been brought up playing the same style of football. I'm sure he would be the perfect manager to bring some of our youth through the ranks.

I think that is the kind of footballing philosophy we need at the club, Villa would begin to develop a certain style of football that we could call our own. I think he is also a manger that would fit well with most of the players we have at the club and be able to utilise them well and develop their tactical and technical sides to improve them and get the best out of them.

He got a lot of stick when he first became Germany's manager, he made some big style changes to the whole set up of the national team, but they eventually paid off and he was pretty much lauded a national hero after the previous world cup for his achievements there.

People mention Bayern as a negative point, but there he was given under a year, which didn't actually do too badly at all, and again he had made massive changes to the whole structure of the clubs footballing set up that had not been fully incorporated and come to fruition when he was sacked.

I think given the time he would get us playing fast paced, intelligent technical football that would be great to watch.

I think he is also the kind of progressive thinker that Randy would like, and would fit in well with the clubs structure. I'm sure he would also have some good scouting networks and be able to bring some very good players to the club.

A couple of good articles on him by the BBC.

Link 1

Link 2

Per the bookies its between sven 2.5/1 and bod bradley 5/1. I guess thats fits in with Randy saying he wants it sorted quickly, Hence Jol out at 12/1

Anyone remember that son 'John Ketley is a weather man' - I m kinda thinking

'bob bradley

Bob bradleeey

Bob Bradleeeeeeey

He a villaman'

I can almost hear it - coming from the holte end !

I would love Klinsmann to become manager. He is the antithesis of MON and I think his footballing philosophy is great. He likes fast flowing counter attacking football but in a more modern flowing and technical sense than MON. He is also the epitome of a modern forward thinking manager that brings a lot of new ideas to the table regarding coaching, training and player development. His philosophy is also to integrate the youth, reserve and senior teams by getting them to all play the same type of football so that the reserves become a natural feeder team for the senior team and will be able to easily fit in because they have been brought up playing the same style of football. I'm sure he would be the perfect manager to bring some of our youth through the ranks.

I think that is the kind of footballing philosophy we need at the club, Villa would begin to develop a certain style of football that we could call our own. I think he is also a manger that would fit well with most of the players we have at the club and be able to utilise them well and develop their tactical and technical sides to improve them and get the best out of them.

He got a lot of stick when he first became Germany's manager, he made some big style changes to the whole set up of the national team, but they eventually paid off and he was pretty much lauded a national hero after the previous world cup for his achievements there.

People mention Bayern as a negative point, but there he was given under a year, which didn't actually do too badly at all, and again he had made massive changes to the whole structure of the clubs footballing set up that had not been fully incorporated and come to fruition when he was sacked.

I think given the time he would get us playing fast paced, intelligent technical football that would be great to watch.

I think he is also the kind of progressive thinker that Randy would like, and would fit in well with the clubs structure. I'm sure he would also have some good scouting networks and be able to bring some very good players to the club.

Link 1

Link 2

I think he'd be great for us too. Good post.

Link 1

Link 2

Good post, and thanks for the links. With Klinsmann linked I am very wary, but I understand your points, at the end of the day I would prefer more experienced managers, however Klinsmann would be no disaster for me. Watching him during the World Cup as a pundit I found some of his views very interesting but there are question marks for me when he has only had one proper year of managing on his own. A very big risk for a club in our position, as we don't want to fall behind. However with his reputation he could certainly attract a few players.

If anything I see Klinsmann as the most likely option right now, I wouldn't be happy with his appointment but I would certainly give the guy a chance.