Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Where has it been said that he resigned from Sky, then?

Was mentioned in the Express and Star
The Frenchman is eager to renew his partnership with Thompson, who was his trusted assistant at Anfield and took charge of first-team affairs when Houllier underwent heart surgery in 2001.

Thompson, now a TV pundit, is reportedly already in the process of cutting his ties with Sky Sports, in preparation for his new job.

But TBF I think they were just reflecting rumours on less reliable internet sites.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate text me earlier to say that he has been told from a contact in France that Houllier has signed a two year deal and will be unveiled tomorrow.

How true this is I don't know so PLEASE don't shoot the messenger. Not sure my mate's contact is ITK or anything and can't be arsed to ask to be honest. Guess we will soon see tomorrow.

If it is to be GH, which it appears more than likely right now, I will give him my full support and give him the time to settle in and do his thing. We all have to remember that these are MON's signings and may not be to GH's liking so we have to give him time to make his mark on the team and I really hope that the fans, especially those who seem totally against him before it's even been announced, give him a fair chance.

But there's **** all wrong with his transfer policy. Granted, cheyrou and diao are turkeys but kewell was being chased by man utd and arsenal and diouf

diouf was one of the stars of the 2002 world cup. Every manager has purchased the odd duffer. Look at the shit our previous manager wasted money on.

Not just Cheyrou and Diao though. What about Ferri, Kippe, Song, Traore, Camara, Meijer, Diomede, Arphexad, Vignal, Sjölund, Biscan, Baros, Le Tallec, Sinama Pongolle and Luzi Bernardi? :winkold:

Every manager out there has their fair share of poor signigns, but that's quite an extensive list.

6 years at pool, Monny had 4 years at villa so lets take 2/3rds and say he bought 12 not good enough in a 4 year for a good liverpool side. Lets look at Monny (who i supported, and still thank for reviving us before i get slammed) and list his failures for a side that werent at liverpools level under Houllier:

Maloney, Routledge, Salifou, Davies, Knight, Carson, Harewood, Sidwell, Shorey, Heskey, Guzan, Downing, Beye.

All managers buy players who dont live up to expectations for one reason or another.

But there's **** all wrong with his transfer policy. Granted, cheyrou and diao are turkeys but kewell was being chased by man utd and arsenal and diouf

diouf was one of the stars of the 2002 world cup. Every manager has purchased the odd duffer. Look at the shit our previous manager wasted money on.

Not just Cheyrou and Diao though. What about Ferri, Kippe, Song, Traore, Camara, Meijer, Diomede, Arphexad, Vignal, Sjölund, Biscan, Baros, Le Tallec, Sinama Pongolle and Luzi Bernardi? :winkold:

Every manager out there has their fair share of poor signigns, but that's quite an extensive list.

6 years at pool, Monny had 4 years at villa so lets take 2/3rds and say he bought 12 not good enough in a 4 year for a good liverpool side. Lets look at Monny (who i supported, and still thank for reviving us before i get slammed) and list his failures for a side that werent at liverpools level under Houllier:

Maloney, Routledge, Salifou, Davies, Knight, Carson, Harewood, Sidwell, Shorey, Heskey, Guzan, Downing, Beye.

All managers buy players who dont live up to expectations for one reason or another.

Houllier didn't buy as many players per season as MON did, he never needed to because he took over an excellent team. Houllier spent £131m on players, in 2010 terms that would be £245m, bought one brilliant player, a few useful ones and an awful lot of rubbish and took Liverpool from 3rd to 4th.

My mate text me earlier to say that he has been told from a contact in France that Houllier has signed a two year deal and will be unveiled tomorrow.

How true this is I don't know so PLEASE don't shoot the messenger. Not sure my mate's contact is ITK or anything and can't be arsed to ask to be honest. Guess we will soon see tomorrow.

If it is to be GH, which it appears more than likely right now, I will give him my full support and give him the time to settle in and do his thing. We all have to remember that these are MON's signings and may not be to GH's liking so we have to give him time to make his mark on the team and I really hope that the fans, especially those who seem totally against him before it's even been announced, give him a fair chance.

......you can take it as reliable GH is the man

Are you sure you havent just read newsnow?? or any other credible news source ?

Houllier didn't buy as many players per season as MON did, he never needed to because he took over an excellent team. Houllier spent £131m on players, in 2010 terms that would be £245m, bought one brilliant player, a few useful ones and an awful lot of rubbish and took Liverpool from 3rd to 4th.

How do you work out the figures? An excellent team that did finish third but was on the wane and finished 7th the next (with Houllier/Evans for 1/2 a year).

Our team wasnt great but we had some decent players, who he shipped out i.e. Cahill for little and replaced for little better for alot more money.

Im not trying to downgrade the work of MoN but just to say he won alot, bought some decent players and obviously knows what he is doing most of the time.

Yes, but I think you're being a bit too harsh on some of those players there. I wouldn't put eg Knight, Sidwell and Downing in a 'total failures' list, like the signigns I've listed for Houllier.

I'd compare those three to Houllier's 'average ones' like Heggem, Westerveld, Smicer, Barmby, Ziege, Xavier, Diarra...

The list I gave was a 'total flops' list. :winkold:

Please god not Staunton ffs,the fella is a compleat gobshite.

Why are the irish the one's who are kicking off the most?

About what?.Staunton?,if so it's because we seen how bad he is at management.if it's over the appointment of gh,I have only seen me and one other that don't like gh getting the job..

What would the appointment of Steve Staunton in any capacity say about this club and our ambitions?

It's more Staunton isn't getting it and is gutted not to be involved sorry for misleading people . This bit hasn't come from Villa but I hear Stan is gutted thought he was nailed on .

Well according to Mystery Man of yesterday Staunton wasn't getting it.

Yes, but I think you're being a bit too harsh on some of those players. I wouldn't put eg Knight, Sidwell and Downing in a 'total failures' list, like the signigns I've listed for Houllier.

I'd compare those three to Houllier's 'average ones' like Heggem, Westerveld, Smicer, Barmby, Ziege, Xavier, Diarra...

The list I gave was a 'total flops' list. :winkold:

Fair enough. I see your point! :D

How do you work out the figures? An excellent team that did finish third but was on the wane and finished 7th the next (with Houllier/Evans for 1/2 a year).

Our team wasnt great but we had some decent players, who he shipped out i.e. Cahill for little and replaced for little better for alot more money.

Im not trying to downgrade the work of MoN but just to say he won alot, bought some decent players and obviously knows what he is doing most of the time.

Wouldn't say the team was on the wane at all having Owen and Carragher just broken through and Gerrard just about to as well.

The football inflation adjusts transfers values so they are comparative across years. I just nicked the Houllier adjusted value from a blog so I don't know what system was used but one system is adjusting the values as a percentage of the current transfer record.

What would the appointment of Steve Staunton in any capacity say about this club and our ambitions?

It's more Staunton isn't getting it and is gutted not to be involved sorry for misleading people . This bit hasn't come from Villa but I hear Stan is gutted thought he was nailed on .

Well according to Mystery Man of yesterday Staunton wasn't getting it.

I presume Thompson changing his mind might have something to do with it.

Are you sure you havent just read newsnow?? or any other credible news source ?

Not at all mate. I got the text around 5pm tonight whilst I was still at work. I asked my mate how he knew and he just replied with "from my contact in France". I did see on central news that it is likely to be announced tomorrow but it mentioned nothing about a 2 year deal.

For the record, i am not trying to sound in the know or anything. I am merely saying what I received via text from a mate earlier today.

Please not Staunton. I can't have him, not after what he did as manager of Ireland. We'll never forgive him for that.

If you were Randy who would YOU be hiring then? Over the course of today I've only seen you criticise what the club have done (and apologies if I've missed an important post to the contrary) so I'd be interested to know what you'd have done in the Randy's shoes.

No Irish person will forget how useless Staunton was. Hammered 5-2 by Cyprus. Steven Ireland won't be best pleased either. As for management I've posted 100 times what I think we should do.

Apologies for missing those 100 posts then. That said I've looked through back to page 378 and not found any of them. I've seen you say what we SHOULD'NT do, but sadly I've missed the ones that say what you'd be doing in Randy's shoes.

Any chance you can do me a favour and tell me where I can find them?

You haven't looked very hard at all.

In my discussion with BOF I said we should appoint a manager until May (Sven, Curbs or Southgate would jump at the chance) and spend the year trying to get Jol lined up for then. Jol wanted to joining Fulham so he'd be interested in coming here.

We should not accept the best of whats available, we should wait until we get the right manager and Jol has done a good job at Spurs, Hamburg and Ajax.

That was what I think we should do.