Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Well let's hope it was true about his resignation so we don't have to hear from him at all.

Here's the story on Sky Sports if no-one's posted it by the way (can't see it) here

Sky Sports News understands that Phil Thompson will not take up a role as assistant to potential Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier.

Former Liverpool boss Houllier is set to take over at Villa Park as the club's new manager following Martin O'Neill's departure this summer.

Thompson worked with the Frenchman at Anfield, and it had been suggested the pair could be reunited at Premier League side Villa.

However, it is understood that Thompson will not be joining Houllier, who is currently France's technical director, at Villa Park.

The latest reports in France suggest that Houllier has agreed a two-year contract with Villa.

Houllier left Liverpool in 2004 after a six-year spell in charge, and then coached Lyon from 2005-07.

It is claimed he is set to meet French federation president Fernand Duchaussoy on Wednesday to discuss taking over at Villa.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If "Sky Sources" can't be ITK about whether one of their (?former) employees is going to Villa or not, we can't have much confidence in them, can we?

I had assumed Phil Thompson would be part of the deal because he worked so well with Houllier before in quite stressful circumstances, and will be more in touch with the English football scene.

If not Thompson, who?

We need a rapid strengthening of the managerial and coaching staff because we also lost our two first team coaches and our goalkeeping coach as well as MON.

According to a source, Thompson isn't coming. More later.

Hurry back...i will wait at work for an update as i dont want to leave incase i miss your update!

Just back haha. Basically, Thompson had an emergency meeting with Sky blokes yesterday and they basically convinced him to stay on the easy money they give him rather than come to us, which he has agreed to.

Not sure if they've given him a wage rise, but unless there's another change of heart (apparently he was intent on coming here originally), he's not coming to Villa.

really very glad that big nosed prat isnt coming.

i would have found it hard to accept him involved with the club when he has such contempt for it

im ok with houlier coming. experienced and should know what hes doing.

he deserves a chance at least.

leonard cohen/ alexandra burke 'halelujah'

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard hooooooullier

if that makes sense to anyone!

Surprised no one has really mentioned what was on SSN a second ago.

They said that whilst Houllier WOULD be going to Villa, Phil Thompson would NOT be coming.

So he resigned from Sky for nothing?

Do you think it was all some sort of practical joke played on him? Stelling ringing him up and putting on a fake french accent, perhaps, "Oh, Phil, would you like to come back in to management with me at Villa? Okay you are in but you need to resign from Sky first."

*ring ring, ring ring*

Football7-1.jpg

'Allo, Philipe darling.'

_44370856_philthompson270.jpg

'Eh, eh, eh, cuddles! Great to 'ear from yous 'la.'

Football7-1.jpg

'Phillipe, eet iz magifique to ear from you too. Darling, I juz vanted to know eef you would be ze new Astarn Vellah assistarnt manager, wiv me, your precious Gerrard?'

_44370856_philthompson270.jpg

'I'm absolutely maaaaade up.. I would love to fella'

Football7-1.jpg

'Okay darling, okay. You muss now tell doze orrible pee-pol from ze Sky zat you aahh leaving zem now'

020508PhilThompson_841875.jpg

'Eh, but petal. I'm in a relationship now like. With Mathew Le Tissier.'

Football7-1.jpg

'You muss queet now or I will tell ze world you ahh a poofter'.

PhilThompson_621147.jpg

'Eh, come on pal, that is bang out of order that is'.

houllier.jpg

'Buff'

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard hooooooullier

Like it.

Although to mention Alexandra Burke and not Jeff Buckley in reference to that song is just a little bit criminal!

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard houllier

gerard hooooooullier

Like it.

Although to mention Alexandra Burke and not Jeff Buckley in reference to that song is just a little bit criminal!

I was thinking the same thing.

Please not Staunton. I can't have him, not after what he did as manager of Ireland. We'll never forgive him for that.

If you were Randy who would YOU be hiring then? Over the course of today I've only seen you criticise what the club have done (and apologies if I've missed an important post to the contrary) so I'd be interested to know what you'd have done in the Randy's shoes.

According to a source, Thompson isn't coming. More later.

Hurry back...i will wait at work for an update as i dont want to leave incase i miss your update!

Just back haha. Basically, Thompson had an emergency meeting with Sky blokes yesterday and they basically convinced him to stay on the easy money they give him rather than come to us, which he has agreed to.

Not sure if they've given him a wage rise, but unless there's another change of heart (apparently he was intent on coming here originally), he's not coming to Villa.

Gillette Soccer Saturday should make interesting viewing this week!

Please not Staunton. I can't have him, not after what he did as manager of Ireland. We'll never forgive him for that.

Steve **** Staunton?!

What an impressive coaching pedigree he has....

Ireland - failed

Leeds - failed

Darlington - failed

Can anybody point to anything that he's got going for him? OK he played for Villa, but is that really enough to get him on the coaching payroll?