Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Sven would take that job in a heartbeat under those circumstances. He has a decent club record to boot.

Nonsense. You have no way of knowing that regardless, but I disagree entirely anyway. I son't think there's anyway in the world he'd take that.

I think you are letting your desire for Jol and dislike of Houllier cloud your judgement of how things actually are.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staunton-hic has failed as a coach as well as manager. He was coach at Leeds and, I think, at Walsall. Didn't last long in either role.

It seems his only contact with his teams from the sideline is to put on an angry face and tell his defence to push up. That's it.

I loved him as a player for Villa and Ireland but he hasn't cut-it in a coaching or managerial capacity anywhere he's been. I think any role at Villa is too big for him.

Hic.

Sven would take that job in a heartbeat under those circumstances. He has a decent club record to boot.

Nonsense. You have no way of knowing that regardless, but I disagree entirely anyway. I son't think there's anyway in the world he'd take that.

I think you are letting your desire for Jol and dislike of Houllier cloud your judgement of how things actually are.

Sounds about right, so many have made up their own stories to fit their arguements that Houllier is rubbish just because he isn't the cnadidate that they wanted. i think he will be a breath of fresh air to the club and I can see us moving forward again. Probably not top 4 but certainly consolidating 6th if not pushing 5th.

Its an interesting point that, with all the talk of creating dynasties etc, Houllier is only signing a 2 year contract. Now he may get a little money in January but we all know it is notoriously difficult to spend money in January and get good value, So onto next summer. How much money would you give a manager to spend who was only going to be around another year? Do we think he'll sign an extension next year? If he might, who exactly is on trial here, the club or Houllier?

Think it could be 3 years some journos are saying Bicks.

Does it make that much difference, MON was on a rolling one year contract?

My dislike for Houllier cloud my judgement? I've been saying we should get Sven for a year weeks ago.

He'd jump at the chance to repair his rep in a season with us where if he did well he'd get an extension. He took over Ivory Coast for the World Cup. That was totally temporary.

I think it's far from nonsense.

I'm glad if Houllier is getting only 2 years. That means we can still go for a younger manager next summer without much pay off required to Houllier.

Some of this makes me laugh - talk about contradictions.

You have a load of people on here basically saying "Kevin McDonald is clearly a good coach, but is no way a manager - he should stick to what he does best"

Then, you have a lot of the same people saying "Staunton, gobshite, worst manager in Irish history, did you see his record as manager of Darlington".

Well excuse me, if, and it is IF it is Staunton - hell the hell do you know how good a coach he is !.

There are MANY MANY MANY No.2's, great No.2's who have tried their luck at management and couldn't hack it. From Peter Taylor in the 70's , TONY BARTON in the 80's to Brian Kidd in the 90's to (in England) Steve McClaren in the 2000's.

The guy was the best left back we have had in 30 yrs, he played for us for 10yrs, he loved the Villa and never wanted to leave (FACT, I / my wife ran into him daily in Walmley and chatted most days, even after he had left !).

For god sake lay off him and if it is him, get behind him. Personally, I cannot wait - I loved it when my heroes (Evans, Little etc..) were running the club - it felt like OUR club, and if Staunton brings that back - I for one am happy. If he fails, he fails, he may do - Peter Withe but at least give him the chance first

By the way, I didn't see John "Benson and Hedges" Robertson have the bottle to try his hand at management !

Good post.

But in your list of good assistants who were poor managers I'd sub out McClaren (he's a perfectly decent club manager) and sub in Sammy Lee ;)

To be fair to Staunton's record as Irish coach I blame the FAI more than him. Staunton had f-all experience when he was hired. The FAI thought he'd learn the ropes working alongside Bobby Robson. Bobby sadly got sick and instead of doing the intelligent thing and hiring another highly experienced manager to mentor Staunton the goons let him run things solo which lead to disaster.

What I'm hoping for is that it's a trial period for Houllier. That at the end of the season we can all reassess the season we had. That There can be an amicable split if it's not working out with say half the remaining contract being paid up. Then someone else can be approached.

Maybe the club realise that there isn't any way the can get a manager they really want at the beginning of a season like this, and Houllier has the potential to be either a success or failure.

Bloody hell mate, every single game is a trial period for a football manager, they can be fired just as quickly as they're hired!

What makes you think GH would leave a cushy number in his home country to come and manage Aston Villa on a 'trial period', he's earned the right to be treated with the respect of not being put on a probation period.

Sounds about right, so many have made up their own stories to fit their arguements that Houllier is rubbish just because he isn't the cnadidate that they wanted. i think he will be a breath of fresh air to the club and I can see us moving forward again. Probably not top 4 but certainly consolidating 6th if not pushing 5th.

What I can't stand on these forums is people making up things that others are supposed to have said. I have never said Houllier was rubbish, you are simply being lazy or outright lying.

I've said he's a good manager and the best of the ones available but I have worries about his abilities in the transfer market.

I've said for weeks we should get someone in who we can get rid of next summer if we can get a better manager. So my opinions on this have been consistent for weeks. Long before Houllier emerged as the fav.

My dislike for Houllier cloud my judgement? I've been saying we should get Sven for a year weeks ago.

He'd jump at the chance to repair his rep in a season with us where if he did well he'd get an extension. He took over Ivory Coast for the World Cup. That was totally temporary.

I'm glad if Houllier is getting only 2 years. That means we can still go for a younger manager next summer without much pay off required to Houllier.

Does Sven bank with you? You seem to have spoken to him.

Bloody hell mate, every single game is a trial period for a football manager, they can be fired just as quickly as they're hired!

What makes you think GH would leave a cushy number in his home country to come and manage Aston Villa on a 'trial period', he's earned the right to be treated with the respect of not being put on a probation period.

A 2 year contract is as good as a trial period in that we can sack him next summer if we simple have an average season as the payoff will be minimal. If a manager is on a longer expensive contract then it's harder to part ways. I think if it's a 2 year deal there is an element of that.

While if he does a good job and we are doing well next season we can extend his contract.

Well I'm glad you have a hotline to his brain. Personally, from my position as a mere mortal, I think Sven would tell us to get stuffed. If he was just interested in rebuilding a reputation he wouldn't have chosen the jobs he has done. The scenario you present would leave him well out of pocket if Villa didn't perform, and him out of a job. It would also make him look like someone who was desperate.

I can't think of a case where something like this has happened with a top Prem club? A respected manager signing for a year with an extension if they're a good boy? No chance. Find an example of it and I might belive you're not living in cloud cuckoo land.

Well I'm glad you have a hotline to his brain.

I am of course expressing my opinion on Sven. He was the first to say he was interested. So I believe he would accept a short enough contract. Say a 2 year one that can be bought out for 1mil next June say.

If he did a good job he could either get another year or leave with a payoff and an improved rep.

Anyway, enough of this I've expressed my opinion on the matter of Sven.

With Gérard Houllier's appointment set to be announced some time within the next few days, it seemed like a good idea to give him his own thread to discuss what we think he can bring to this club and how he can bring our team forward.

While at first I was a little sceptical when his name was first linked to the managerial vacancy, after some deliberation, research into his previous work and a look into some of the time he spends with the club off the pitch I've come round to the point where I think Houllier could be a really solid manager for us.

We've been crying out for a little experimentation in the transfer market for a good 4 years now and this is something he will definitely bring. Whilst not every signing will turn out how we hope, if he can unearth another Hyppia or Hamann then I for one will be bloody delighted. After being (seemingly) restricted to scouting within the UK this will be a welcome change.

Let's not forget the amount of trophies GH has won in his career. When he does take over I think I'm right in saying that he'll be one of the most previously successful managers in the history of AVFC and this can only be a good thing. Not only for the future of our team and our prospects of bringing home some much needed silverware, but in the eyes of other players as we may see a little more respect given to us.

It'll be a good idea to keep our thoughts in here, rather than trawl through 600+ pages to pick out opinions on our new boss.

Welcome to Villa Park, Gérard. If you treat us with respect, you'll be given it back tenfold.

UTV.

'I think he would jump at the chance' = opinion

'He would jump at the chance' = fact

Just thought i would let you know the difference.

It is clear that everyones thoughts are an opinion so stop being so anal. He would jump at the chance obviously means I believe he would jump at the chance. We don't have to go around starting every bloody post with in my opinion.

To be fair to Staunton's record as Irish coach I blame the FAI more than him. Staunton had f-all experience when he was hired. The FAI thought he'd learn the ropes working alongside Bobby Robson. Bobby sadly got sick and instead of doing the intelligent thing and hiring another highly experienced manager to mentor Staunton the goons let him run things solo which lead to disaster.

What I'm hoping for is that it's a trial period for Houllier. That at the end of the season we can all reassess the season we had. That There can be an amicable split if it's not working out with say half the remaining contract being paid up. Then someone else can be approached.

Maybe the club realise that there isn't any way the can get a manager they really want at the beginning of a season like this, and Houllier has the potential to be either a success or failure.