Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Please god not Staunton ffs,the fella is a compleat gobshite.

Why are the irish the one's who are kicking off the most?

About what?.Staunton?,if so it's because we seen how bad he is at management.if it's over the appointment of gh,I have only seen me and one other that don't like gh getting the job..
On Staunton, I don't think he ever recovered from Ireland's 2-5 thrashing by Cyprus in the Euro 2008 qualifiers and a narrow 2-1 win over San Marino with the winning goal only coming in extra time. Also a 1-1 draw against Cyprus in Ireland. Seem to recall the press got on his back very quickly as well & he didn't handle it too well.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please god not Staunton ffs,the fella is a compleat gobshite.

Why are the irish the one's who are kicking off the most?

Because he was the worst manager in Irish football history and resulted in many of the most shambolic performances ever witnessed by an Irish team.

we should appoint a manager until May (Sven, Curbs or Southgate would jump at the chance) and spend the year trying to get Jol lined up for then. Jol wanted to joining Fulham so he'd be interested in coming here.

We should not accept the best of whats available, we should wait until we get the right manager and Jol has done a good job at Spurs, Hamburg and Ajax.

That was what I think we should do.

That's very risky, Jol only entertained Fulham in order to get some transfer funds out of the Ajax board, we could spend a year courting him with one of the three clowns you mentioned buggering up the club only for Jol to either be not interested or accept a better job offer come May. What we need most of all is the stability that comes with the appointment of a proper manager else we'd end up with all our good players putting in transfer requests come January 1st.

You haven't looked very hard at all.

In my discussion with BOF I said we should appoint a manager until May (Sven, Curbs or Southgate would jump at the chance) and spend the year trying to get Jol lined up for then. Jol wanted to joining Fulham so he'd be interested in coming here.

We should not accept the best of whats available, we should wait until we get the right manager and Jol has done a good job at Spurs, Hamburg and Ajax.

Cheers. Me = Smiley_blind.gif

I just wanted to better understand your perspective on things. I do now.

My mate text me earlier to say that he has been told from a contact in France that Houllier has signed a two year deal and will be unveiled tomorrow.

How true this is I don't know so PLEASE don't shoot the messenger. Not sure my mate's contact is ITK or anything and can't be arsed to ask to be honest. Guess we will soon see tomorrow.

If it is to be GH, which it appears more than likely right now, I will give him my full support and give him the time to settle in and do his thing. We all have to remember that these are MON's signings and may not be to GH's liking so we have to give him time to make his mark on the team and I really hope that the fans, especially those who seem totally against him before it's even been announced, give him a fair chance.

Are you sure you havent just read newsnow?? or any other credible news source ?

Not at all mate. I got the text around 5pm tonight whilst I was still at work. I asked my mate how he knew and he just replied with "from my contact in France". I did see on central news that it is likely to be announced tomorrow but it mentioned nothing about a 2 year deal.

For the record, i am not trying to sound in the know or anything. I am merely saying what I received via text from a mate earlier today.

He's having you on mate. The exact same story was on SSN at about 4:30 :lol:

It was reported in L'equipe the French newspaper.

we should appoint a manager until May (Sven, Curbs or Southgate would jump at the chance) and spend the year trying to get Jol lined up for then. Jol wanted to joining Fulham so he'd be interested in coming here.

That's very risky, Jol only entertained Fulham in order to get some transfer funds out of the Ajax board, we could spend a year courting him with one of the three clowns you mentioned buggering up the club only for Jol to either be not interested or accept a better job offer come May. What we need most of all is the stability that comes with the appointment of a proper manager else we'd end up with all our good players putting in transfer requests come January 1st.

I think it would be easy to find out if he wanted to come to Villa. By all accounts he wanted to go to Fulham and Ajax simply refused. Also we could see if Moyes or Hughes were interested in coming. A full year gives us plenty of time to get one of them. I want someone who can be here for 4/5 years at least and make their mark, someone who is ambituous and young.

We could appoint Sven who has done good work at club level for the year. Make out it's permanent and let him get on with the job. No instability, no players leaving as no big signings happen in January.

Where has it been said that he resigned from Sky, then?

Oh, it was one of those 'rumour' things the other day when the talk of him being Houllier's number two began.

I have no idea whether he was supposed to have actually done it or not - I just got the idea in my head of the others taking the piss out of him as usual (with Merse wetting himself in the background).

I think it would be easy to find out if he wanted to come to Villa. By all accounts he wanted to go to Fulham and Ajax simply refused. Also we could see if Moyes or Hughes were interested in coming. A full year gives us plenty of time to get one of them. I want someone who can be here for 4/5 years at least and make their mark, someone who is ambituous and young.

We could appoint Sven who has done good work at club level for the year. Make out it's permanent and let him get on with the job. No instability, no players leaving as no big signings happen in January.

I can see where you are coming from but it is a very risky move.

Players have to respect their manager. If a temp comes in who they don't get on with or like they can either rock the boat, engineering a move away, or simply not play to their full potential.

We're doing the next best thing. We're hiring a full time manager who will probably only last a season or two. He will sign a few prospects and keep the club stable. It's not what everyone wants to hear but it is the best solution to the problems we are facing in the short term.

Are people STILL banging on about jol. Nice chap, decent manager

but whats he done in his career to warrant such acclaim

Totally agree...Houllier's trophy cabinet is bulging compared to Jol's, but seemingly many wanted Jol and Houllier is about 50/50....

Would you have accepted Houllier in that temporary role? After all if he's only getting a 2 year contract as reported it'd cost us feck all to sack him at the end of the season should a better candidate come along.

He was successful at Spurs, Hamburg and is doing well at Ajax. So basically he's a successful manager. Trophies are not simply the measure of how good a manager is. For me league placement is the real proof of the pudding, cup runs require luck, a full league season requires consistency.

Would you have accepted Houllier in that temporary role? After all if he's only getting a 2 year contract as reported it'd cost us feck all to sack him at the end of the season should a better candidate come along.

He would be the best option for the temporary role in my opinion. He's a good manager who's only major flaw in my eyes are his transfer record. So a season as manager with no activity in January would be the best option. Then Jol, Moyes or Hughes to take over in May.

But I'm sure Houllier will get the full 2 years and be given money to spend next summer.

I can see where you are coming from but it is a very risky move.

Players have to respect their manager. If a temp comes in who they don't get on with or like they can either rock the boat, engineering a move away, or simply not play to their full potential.

We're doing the next best thing. We're hiring a full time manager who will probably only last a season or two. He will sign a few prospects and keep the club stable. It's not what everyone wants to hear but it is the best solution to the problems we are facing in the short term.

We could have got a manager in on a "2 year contract" but who knows it's a 1 year with an option for another. A manager who can accept that and try earn that extension. But we line up Jol, Moyes etc.. for next May.

So we have a permanent manager, players will have to respect and then t can be sorted out in May if he does an excellent job we keep him, if it's average or poor we get in the man we want.

He was successful at Spurs, Hamburg and is doing well at Ajax. So basically he's a successful manager. Trophies are not simply the measure of how good a manager is. For me league placement is the real proof of the pudding, cup runs require luck, a full league season requires consistency.

So would you rather we finished 5th this season without a cup, or 10th with winning a cup? I know which I would prefer...

My mate text me earlier to say that he has been told from a contact in France that Houllier has signed a two year deal and will be unveiled tomorrow.

How true this is I don't know so PLEASE don't shoot the messenger. Not sure my mate's contact is ITK or anything and can't be arsed to ask to be honest. Guess we will soon see tomorrow.

If it is to be GH, which it appears more than likely right now, I will give him my full support and give him the time to settle in and do his thing. We all have to remember that these are MON's signings and may not be to GH's liking so we have to give him time to make his mark on the team and I really hope that the fans, especially those who seem totally against him before it's even been announced, give him a fair chance.

Are you sure you havent just read newsnow?? or any other credible news source ?

Not at all mate. I got the text around 5pm tonight whilst I was still at work. I asked my mate how he knew and he just replied with "from my contact in France". I did see on central news that it is likely to be announced tomorrow but it mentioned nothing about a 2 year deal.

For the record, i am not trying to sound in the know or anything. I am merely saying what I received via text from a mate earlier today.

He's having you on mate. The exact same story was on SSN at about 4:30 :lol:

It was reported in L'equipe the French newspaper.

Could well be so mate, hence the reason I couldn't be arsed to ask him who his contact is!