Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who then Fran do you want to see at the club? You keep banging on about how bad GH is but really, who else could we get that's better?
if you read back on the last page,i said why dont we try a younger up and coming manager like Lambert.or even if it is for the short term i think Sven would do a better job atleast the football would be better than GH will have us playing..

I fully expect, that whoever gets the job, will be back out of it come May and we'll be looking again.

I would very, very disappointed if that were the case. But I can't see it happening personally, barring an absolute disaster of a season, which with the players at our disposal is unlikely.

Even if we finish 10th this season, I'd be surprised and upset to see the manager sacked. If you're going to give someone a big job, with big boots to fill, at least give them some time in order to mould the squad into something they are happy with.

Whatever happens, if we finish in the top 6 this season, the manager will have earned my respect.

I have my reservations about all the candidates, but I think it's premature to be making judgements before the next manager has been appointed.

My feeling now is that Houllier will be manager, not DOF, and that's a situation that is acceptable to me..

Houllier isn't a spectacular manager in my opinion, but he's a fairly safe pair of hands. He is experienced and knows English football well. He won't get us relegated, but I doubt he'll push us on either.

It's not Houllier speaking though, it's his current employers, so there is no reason for Villa to judge him and get their knickers in a twist about it, not all things can be kept out of the limelight, there is always a leak from somewhere.

Its not his employers, its a French football Journo, who says Houllier has talked to him "on the record" and then basically blabbed to whoever he could hawk the story to, so he gets maximum exposure for his "scoop"

Unwise, if you ask me

My mistake. Well if that's the case then, yes, most definitely unwise!

It's not Houllier speaking though, it's his current employers, so there is no reason for Villa to judge him and get their knickers in a twist about it, not all things can be kept out of the limelight, there is always a leak from somewhere.

Its not his employers, its a French football Journo, who says Houllier has talked to him "on the record" and then basically blabbed to whoever he could hawk the story to, so he gets maximum exposure for his "scoop"

Unwise, if you ask me

My mistake. Well if that's the case then, yes, most definitely unwise!

i hope its enough for Randy to tell him to do one..

There are no guarantees that any Manager will have us playing in any particular way or achieve success, the team simply has to play to the strengths of the players available to select from and whoever comes in will only have the same players currently at the club until January at least.

There will be no magic formula or change of style than we have atm,come on folks get real, there will be no quick fix or changes it will take a fair amount of time.

i hope this deal falls flat on its face,i really do, its one of the worst appointments i could have hopped for..i hatted him at Liverpool and i still do,i'm sure a few others did to.

Ok, So who do you want realistically?

see above..

I fully expect, that whoever gets the job, will be back out of it come May and we'll be looking again.

Aye, if it is Houllier then I think he'll be here to sort out our contacts within the game and improve the scouting system and stabalise the club. Then next summer we will get a younger manager to build around for a few more years.

Who knows.

There are no guarantees that any Manager will have us playing in any particular way or achieve success, the team simply has to play to the strengths of the players available to select from and whoever comes in will only have the same players currently at the club until January at least.

There will be no magic formula or change of style than we have atm,come on folks get real, there will be no quick fix or changes it will take a fair amount of time.

Houllier is a football academic\purist - but will inherit a team, who perform best when fired up 100% - and run through brick walls for you. When than nver say die approach isn't there these players give performances like the one at Newcastle.

Despite all wots said - I still don't think it will be houllier.

I would very, very disappointed if that were the case. But I can't see it happening personally, barring an absolute disaster of a season, which with the players at our disposal is unlikely.

Even if we finish 10th this season, I'd be surprised and upset to see the manager sacked. If you're going to give someone a big job, with big boots to fill, at least give them some time in order to mould the squad into something they are happy with.

Whatever happens, if we finish in the top 6 this season, the manager will have earned my respect.

I have my reservations about all the candidates, but I think it's premature to be making judgements before the next manager has been appointed.

My feeling now is that Houllier will be manager, not DOF, and that's a situation that is acceptable to me..

Houllier isn't a spectacular manager in my opinion, but he's a fairly safe pair of hands. He is experienced and knows English football well. He won't get us relegated, but I doubt he'll push us on either.

It would change in an instant if Jol or Moyes came onto the market.

Best of a bad bunch i'll go for as well.

Could do really well or could be all a bit average.

I dont understand the worse appointment possible comments, who else could we get baring in mind all the best managers are actually employed and the small matter of them wanting to come too.

Hope its just an outright manager none of the this dof stuff.

Who then Fran do you want to see at the club? You keep banging on about how bad GH is but really, who else could we get that's better?
if you read back on the last page,i said why dont we try a younger up and coming manager like Lambert.or even if it is for the short term i think Sven would do a better job atleast the football would be better than GH will have us playing..

at this stage i'd rather us take our time at getting someone in,than bringing in the likes of GH,he's not what we need for the long term at this club,if Randy really has champions league ambitions then i think he's going the wrong way about it..

Not Sure if SRS?

You really think someone like Lambert would have a better chance of taking us to champs league than GH for example?

At Liverpool he played dire football but at Lyon some of the football was scintillating like a 3-0 win over Madrid after which Cannavaro said Carew was toughest player he ever played against.

He is one of most respected men in European football and he has something to prove in England plus in his words that 2005 Champions League team minus Alonso and Garcia was his team

Theres still hope if you don`t want Houlier,

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7505644

Sorry about no short link. and sorry just noticed where its from

I think there are some legs in this. Remember Moyes, McDonald and Curbishley have all been heavily backed to favouritism in the betting market, with the press then spouting off that their appointment is imminent.

I have no doubts GH has been interviewed, and is being considered, but i also doubt very much that ths is a done deal, otherwise it would have been announced by now.

I think (and maybe hope!) we may well have a surprise in store...

Carew will be very happy with Houllier (well, of course he would not say if he hated the idea...).

From Dagbladet:

I had him as a manager in Lyon and was vert happy with him. But I am not spending much time thinking about this, and I have also been very satisfied with Kevin, who took the manager post after O'Neill.

Carew is actually very complimentary to MacDonald

We know him well, he has worked in the club for 15-16 years as a player developer, and he is a very good coach. He can handle people, and he is good at developing the player's skills.

As a manager, he is very close to the players, and that is a bit untypical, but it works well for us. And the trainings are very good as his job always has been to develop football players

Clicky for the Scandinavians