Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talkshite

TalkSPORT understands Gerard Houllier has held discussions with Aston Villa regarding their managerial vacancy.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner wants an experienced boss to take over following Martin O’Neill’s resignation last month and Mark Hughes, Alan Curbishley and David Moyes have all been linked with the job permanently.

French football correspondent Phillippe Auclair confirmed the current situation on Football First saying: “I spoke to Gerard this afternoon and on the record he confirmed that there had been contact with Aston Villa and himself at the club’s behest and that yes, they were interested in hiring him as a manager

“It seems that it’s not a done deal there are other candidates for the job and I don’t think there will be a decision taken in the next 24 to 48 hours as we thought originally. It’s going to take a little bit longer than that so we might have to wait until Thursday or Friday before we know who is the new Aston Villa manager.

Auclair added: “This offer comes at a time when he has had enough of the criticism he has been taking in France for his role or non-role in the debacle of the World Cup and he is basically looking to get away from this.”

“He loves English football he genuinely has a passion for English football it’s the football he feels closest to. He feels that he really belongs here and this is his proper football home rather than France.

Nothing much really I think there is going to be more discussion but I don’t think anything is going to happen before the middle of the week at the earliest.

Since O’Neill’s departure reserve-team manager Kevin MacDonald has been temporarily at the helm leading the team to two wins in three Premier League games.

Clicky

I'm very much looking forward to a new era, but in all honesty I don't think we'll see massive changes. I would imagine Macdonald would be working pretty closely with Houllier, Houllier isn't stupid, he'll have done his research and would only go to a job that he feels is right and is inheriting a decent squad that doesn't need massive tampering with. I have faith that the board have listened to the ideas Houllier has put forward and feel that they make the most sense out of the other managers available. I'm fairly optimistic, whether or not tactically we'll see better football and playing a more modern game, I don't know, i'd like to hope so. I'm finding all the negativity pretty strange though, I think it's a fairly asuste appointment considering the options.

i dont get everyones obsession with asking liverpool fans on their thoughts on Houllier. If nothing else this board is a shining example that fans of one club are capable of having completely opposing opinions.

Just posting a thought of someone who I'd consider reasonable. Maybe help us give a little insight into what to expect.

If everybody is sure about Houllier getting the job, you can still get 1.33 on being manager at Betfair, easy money if you have loads to bet with.

That's where my money went today. Got odds of 1.7 earlier in the day though :D. Emptied my betfair account on him, which to be fair, isn't that much, only 8 of the queens english.

“It seems that it’s not a done deal there are other candidates for the job and I don’t think there will be a decision taken in the next 24 to 48 hours as we thought originally.

It’s going to take a little bit longer than that so we might have to wait until Thursday or Friday before we know who is the new Aston Villa manager.

Interesting!! Is it just me or does anyone else reckon there could be a few more twists and turns before a new manager is appointed?

I fully expect, that whoever gets the job, will be back out of it come May and we'll be looking again.

Yeah same here.

The main thing I'm interested is how long GH gets a contract for/ At his age I really can't see him getting a 3-4 year deal so can see Randy paying up next summer unless he performs a miracle.

I think this could be our Ramos type appointment so hopefully like Spurs we'll strike gold with the managerial appointment after this one.

“It seems that it’s not a done deal there are other candidates for the job and I don’t think there will be a decision taken in the next 24 to 48 hours as we thought originally.

It’s going to take a little bit longer than that so we might have to wait until Thursday or Friday before we know who is the new Aston Villa manager.

Interesting!! Is it just me or does anyone else reckon there could be a few more twists and turns before a new manager is appointed?

Yeah those quotes have made me think that it isn't as cut and dried as SSN have made out. Will be interesting to see how it develops, but it has dragged on long enough now, without it eating up most of this week as well.

at this stage i'd rather us take our time at getting someone in,than bringing in the likes of GH,he's not what we need for the long term at this club,if Randy really has champions league ambitions then i think he's going the wrong way about it..

It's not Houllier speaking though, it's his current employers, so there is no reason for Villa to judge him and get their knickers in a twist about it, not all things can be kept out of the limelight, there is always a leak from somewhere.

Its not his employers, its a French football Journo, who says Houllier has talked to him "on the record" and then basically blabbed to whoever he could hawk the story to, so he gets maximum exposure for his "scoop"

Unwise, if you ask me