Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people will be genuinely disappointed if Houllier (or whoever manages us) does well.

Isn't this always the case with Villa fans. We have some pathetic fans who would actually want to see us fail so that they can say 'Told you so!'.

So what really, its still an exhibition game.

Are you really comparing the european super cup to our yearly away trip to walsall?

No, thats a pre-season friendly, in fact thats usual a pre-season reserve friendly

But it's still an exhibition game. Stop being so pedantic.

Are you really comparing the european super cup to our yearly away trip to walsall?

No, thats a pre-season friendly, in fact thats usual a pre-season reserve friendly

Exhibiton then Bicks eh? Match has no meaning. Nothing to win. Just like the Euro Super Cup. D'oh!

GH won 6 cups with pool, then went to lyon and won the league back to back.

4 Cups and two exhibition games and then went to Lyon who had already won the league 4 times straight and won it again twice

How much would he had won at liverpool had he not inherited Gerrard and Owen ?

That said he seems a good judge of clubs who can win things - I just can't see it being houllier - I reckon the speculation is because he was the last one interviewed. -

Hope fully we will have a new name tommorrow

So if he came here and won something with us, GAB and Ash being instrumental, is the next line of excuse "would he have won anything had he not inherited them"? Baffling reasons some people are using for the hate, If you're not for the appointment, so be it, but the arguments have got to have more weight than that IMO.

No disrespect but Gerrard and Owen in there prime - are in a different league to GAB & Ash - who aren't regular internationals (yet)

My point was he had relative success because he in inherited 2 players - that would walk into the first 11 of any premier league team - he isn't inherting that sort of quality at villa. and if you look a few pages back his signings at liverpool make awful reading.

GH won 6 cups with pool, then went to lyon and won the league back to back.

4 Cups and two exhibition games and then went to Lyon who had already won the league 4 times straight and won it again twice

How much would he had won at liverpool had he not inherited Gerrard and Owen ?

That said he seems a good judge of clubs who can win things - I just can't see it being houllier - I reckon the speculation is because he was the last one interviewed. -

Hope fully we will have a new name tommorrow

So if he came here and won something with us, GAB and Ash being instrumental, is the next line of excuse "would he have won anything had he not inherited them"? Baffling reasons some people are using for the hate, If you're not for the appointment, so be it, but the arguments have got to have more weight than that IMO.

I suggest you read the last 100 or so pages then instead of picking on one post if you're going to make comments like that, I've given plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons why I think Houllier isn't as good as his reputation. Also interesting is that you pick on a post that actually wasn't anything other than correcting facts. My point about Lyon already winning the title four times in a row before Houllier was because the way the other posted sounded like he'd just gone there and won the league out of the blue, he clearly hadn't, they also won it the year after he left too

Cups are cups mate.

If you think the Charity Shield and the European Super Cup are actual honours you are mistaken. One is a one legged pre-season exhibition game the other is a two legged exhibition game that rarely attracts even a TV camera

Eh?

Euro super cup is a one off match and attracts cameras easily. Been on the BBC for past few years and was on Sky this time round.

I was trying to see where he was coming from with that one myself.

Oh well, I'll disregard it from our plethora of European titles then.

played infront of a capacity crowd after the draw for the champs league and broadcast worldwide. By the way Atletico celebrated it, didn't look exhibition to me.

Yes just like we celebrated the Peace cup, except we played more than one game to win it

It is an exhibition game, the amount of people who watch it and the amount of countries that three men and a dog watch it in and how many people were at the game alters nothing its an exhibition game. When we won it, I was there at VP it was still an exhibition game, it is not a major honour, nor is the charity shield, they are one off games used to promote football - exhibition matches

we didnt have to win a european cup in order to play in the peace cup though!

i agree its an exhibition game but to be fair to him GH at least achieved something in just getting to play in it

rather than saying yeah but the charity shield isnt really a proper competition why arent we saying he won the fa cup/uefa cup? cos its easier to write something off

if houllier is announced as manager or dof we've gone backwards. be prepared to watch john gregory style huff and puff. Ashley Young will be sold in the summer, this is the beginning of the end.

Says the kid who didn't even know England are playing in another country on Tuesday.

Exhibiton then Bicks eh? Match has no meaning. Nothing to win. Just like the Euro Super Cup. D'oh!

Clearly you don't understand the point I'm making, so I'll just give up. If you want to claim the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield as some sort of major honour in football, carry on

if houllier is announced as manager or dof we've gone backwards. be prepared to watch john gregory style huff and puff. Ashley Young will be sold in the summer, this is the beginning of the end.
Yep.

Excuse me while I go and burn all my Villa shirts and order a Chelsea one.

IIRC, Houllier had another job after Plop. Lot's of people have been saying you are only as good as your last job. Ok, Lyon had won the league for 4 years previous but as someone pointed out, Avram Grant had pretty much the same squad as Mourinho yet couldn't win the league. People are also going on about his signings at Plop. What about his signings at Lyon. Some of those were impressive and were wither sold for huge profit (Diarra) or contributed well. I have changed my mind plenty of times about who I want to be manager but I am willing to give this guy a chance. He is well respected in the game and is just as big of not bigger name than MON. Give him a **** chance!

C4rvillan, some people have just made up their minds not to give Houllier a chance.....Which they would maybe do with most of the names we've been linked with.

They can argue his bad points till the cows come home, but at the end of the day if Lerner wants him as manager then that's the manager we will have.

...wasn't anything other than correcting facts... because the way the other posted sounded...

Ahem... What?

Correcting facts is a double negative...

The way a post sounded?

What does this sound like? na na-na na, na-na naa naaa naaah wooooo!