Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I really don't get this its the best we could do attitude as the better managers were all employed.

Sure it would be tougher to get a manager that is employed by another club but IF the club really wanted a manager employed by another club have they done all they can to get him? have they offered a shit load of compensation? have they made it known to that manager, even by underhand methods if necessary, that they will pay them a kings ransom? made it known that they have high ambitions etc.

I hope that the club have done all they can but I sense given some of the Generals comments that they have been wary of upsetting anyone and have played it nicey nice.

Ron Saunders was manager of Man City we went for him we got him, Graham Taylor was manager at Watford we went for him we got him ( both Sunders and Taylor stepped down a division to come to Villa ) Ron Atkinson was at Sheff Wednesday we went for him we got him.

We've bought some excellent managers from other clubs before and I believe had we have gone all out and used any tactics necessary we could have secured another.

So yes other better managers than Houllier were all employed that still shouldn't stop you doing whatever it takes to get them and it seems highly unlikely that we have. Shame that.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who then Fran do you want to see at the club? You keep banging on about how bad GH is but really, who else could we get that's better?
if you read back on the last page,i said why dont we try a younger up and coming manager like Lambert.or even if it is for the short term i think Sven would do a better job atleast the football would be better than GH will have us playing..

at this stage i'd rather us take our time at getting someone in,than bringing in the likes of GH,he's not what we need for the long term at this club,if Randy really has champions league ambitions then i think he's going the wrong way about it..

Not Sure if SRS?

You really think someone like Lambert would have a better chance of taking us to champs league than GH for example?

yes,long term i could see someone like Lambert getting us there alright,i cant see GH been here long enough to get us there.maybe Randys ambitions have changed though and he see's getting someone like GH will just keep us moving along as a mid table team..been honest it seems like a cheap option appointment to me also,but the cheap option has been the story of our year..

“It seems that it’s not a done deal there are other candidates for the job and I don’t think there will be a decision taken in the next 24 to 48 hours as we thought originally. It’s going to take a little bit longer than that so we might have to wait until Thursday or Friday before we know who is the new Aston Villa manager.

So Hitzfeld it is then :D

I really don't get this its the best we could do attitude as the better managers were all employed.

Sure it would be tougher to get a manager that is employed by another club but IF the club really wanted a manager employed by another club have they done all they can to get him? have they offered a shit load of compensation? have they made it known to that manager, even by underhand methods if necessary, that they will pay them a kings ransom? made it known that they have high ambitions etc.

I hope that the club have done all they can but I sense given some of the Generals comments that they have been wary of upsetting anyone and have played it nicey nice.

Ron Saunders was manager of Man City we went for him we got him, Graham Taylor was manager at Watford we went for him we got him ( both Sunders and Taylor stepped down a division to come to Villa ) Ron Atkinson was at Sheff Wednesday we went for him we got him.

We've bought some excellent managers from other clubs before and I believe had we have gone all out and used any tactics necessary we could have secured another.

So yes other better managers than Houllier were all employed that still shouldn't stop you doing whatever it takes to get them and it seems highly unlikely that we have. Shame that.

Agree 100% - well almost.

I thought Ron Saunders was out of work - but I was only 11 when this happened.

GT actually applied for the villa job. Doug couldn't beleive his luck ! - I think we were set appoint Dave Bassett.

But you general point 'weve tried for Moyes' - yes but how much ? - I could be 100% wrong - but the vibes I get are that we haven't tried that hard.

Carew will be very happy with Houllier (well, of course he would not say if he hated the idea...).

From Dagbladet:

I had him as a manager in Lyon and was vert happy with him. But I am not spending much time thinking about this, and I have also been very satisfied with Kevin, who took the manager post after O'Neill.

Yep, unlike others I don't think Carew's days are automatically numbered even if Houllier is appointed manager.

Remember it was Houllier who brought Carew to Lyon in the first place and before that he also tried to bring Carew to Liverpool at one point, so on the contrary I actually think Houllier quite fancies Carew.

When Carew was swapped for Baros it was their owner Aulas who went public saying they didn't need Carew anymore, whereas Houllier remained silent. Aulas said he felt they didn't need both Fred and Carew and said that Carew was lazy or something along those lines in order to justify the swap.

*sigh* yet again villa fans going on about moyes... still not getting over the fairy tale...

GH won 6 cups with pool, then went to lyon and won the league back to back.

This is a (potentially) grand appointment, when was the last time we had a manager who has won actual honors?

MON's scottish day out DOES NOT count.

Kev needs to get back to the reserves.

Jols record

Tottenham Hotspur England 5 November 2004 25 October 2007 148 67 38 43 45.27

Hamburger SV Germany 1 July 2008 30 June 2009 53 32 6 15 60.38

AFC Ajax Netherlands 1 July 2009 Present 51 39 7 5 76.47

If Randy has approached other clubs for permission to speak to their manager why hasn't it been in the media. When Liverpool wanted Hodgson it was on Sky and in the papers as was Fulham's fruitless pursuit of Jol. I believe we haven't approached any clubs about their manager and it is down to compensation having to be paid. It's all very well sorting out the finances regarding the wage bill, but this is the most important person on the payroll and we should not be taking the cheap option.

Yes, Randy has invested £100 million over the past 4 years. Being the businessman that he is, he obviously thinks that it would be best to save a couple of million on appointing a manager.

Come off it.

I'm so fed up of hearing how the reason why we haven't got Jol or Moyes is because Randy's going for the "cheap option". Complete BS.

Carew will be very happy with Houllier (well, of course he would not say if he hated the idea...).

From Dagbladet:

I had him as a manager in Lyon and was vert happy with him. But I am not spending much time thinking about this, and I have also been very satisfied with Kevin, who took the manager post after O'Neill.

Yep, unlike others I don't think Carew's days are automatically numbered even if Houllier is appointed manager.

Remember it was Houllier who brought Carew to Lyon in the first place and before that he also tried to bring Carew to Liverpool at one point, so on the contrary I actually think Houllier quite fancies Carew.

When Carew was swapped for Baros it was their owner Aulas who went public saying they didn't need Carew anymore, whereas Houllier remained silent. Aulas said he felt they didn't need both Fred and Carew and said that Carew was lazy or something along those lines in order to justify the swap.

That's true. But not sure your explanation will be accepted as the truth by the Villatalkers who has not followed Carew closely for 12 years. In their eyes O'Neill didn't even want Carew. He was conned into swapping him against Baros!

If Randy has approached other clubs for permission to speak to their manager why hasn't it been in the media. When Liverpool wanted Hodgson it was on Sky and in the papers as was Fulham's fruitless pursuit of Jol. I believe we haven't approached any clubs about their manager and it is down to compensation having to be paid. It's all very well sorting out the finances regarding the wage bill, but this is the most important person on the payroll and we should not be taking the cheap option.

Because Randy works by stealth - thats why no one in the media knows who's been interviewed for the job :winkold:

The generals slip speaks volumes

Think the media linked Moyes pretty strongly and I'm sure I've seen it in the papers that we asked about his availablitiy and got a flat no as an answer. No-one knows to what extent we pursued Moyes or any other managers in employment. Saying, oh well, we probably didn't try hard enough knowing us, is just pure speculation and nay-saying, for all we know they may have worked their arses off trying to convince Moyes to come.

Fact is this... the sort of managers all the negative people in here are banding about are generally with teams that are on par or are just simply better than us, or atleast in better situations. Saying we should pay out for the most important man, well I agree... but if you have no cash to do that then what choice do you have? We don't know the financial status of Villa, yeah we got 18 million or so for Milner but running a football club costs more money than most of us can dream of.

Cups are cups mate.

If you think the Charity Shield and the European Super Cup are actual honours you are mistaken. One is a one legged pre-season exhibition game the other is a two legged exhibition game that rarely attracts even a TV camera

GH won 6 cups with pool, then went to lyon and won the league back to back.

4 Cups and two exhibition games and then went to Lyon who had already won the league 4 times straight and won it again twice

a) yes of course, let's say the same thing. wow.

B) winning a league must be so easy, especially when the team did it the year before... avram grant.

c) what was the point in your post? was it just to belittle my opinion?