Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad he finally got it.

Finally got what?

The fact that we will have appointed an unemployed manager that is not as good as the ones who were employed but who we could not get due to compensation?

that isn't a bew opinion i have had

He isn't unemployed though is he? though he was with the french FA?

Check this guy out http://tinyurl.com/33benwc . He was successful in the past with a certain club, got sacked didn't last long in another job. Had three years out and then went on to win the biggest prize in football. Perhaps the Spanish FA got him on the cheap too because there was no compensation!

It means absolutley nothing that Houllier isn't at a club job. There are plenty of reasons as to probably why that is. Even the Messiah was out of work before he came here. Some people want to **** moan for the sake of it.

I can just hear it now...the Holte End in full voice against Bolton.......

Houllier's Claret n Blue Army, Houllier's Claret n Blue Army, Houllier's Claret n Blue Army......

Sounds a bit better than Curbishleys claret n blue army or Svens claret n blue army or Browns claret n blue army.....

I can just hear it now...the Holte End in full voice against Bolton.......

Houllier's Claret n Blue Army, Houllier's Claret n Blue Army, Houllier's Claret n Blue Army......

Sounds a bit better than Curbishleys claret n blue army or Svens claret n blue army or Browns claret n blue army.....

Yeah that's the main thing. Were you the advisor to the board? your criteria, is also dodgy ;-)

i hope Randy wasn't hopping for bums on seats style football with this one,what a shite appointment this is,some on here are happy with the appointment fair enough,but this will end bad forget top 6 or even 8 imo

Can you tell me next week's loot numbers please mate? PM me if you don't want anyone else to know.

Houllier will be the safe option for Randy. Comfy and nice, like a pair of old slippers. He will not ruffle any feathers at Villa Park and you never know, he might persuade his mate Gerrard to come to the Villa :winkold:.

He will also be a lot more knowledgable in the foriegn transfer market than O'Neill and not be afraid to take a chance on young foriegn players. We will have our own Wenger in that respect, although, maybe now is not the right time to have an direct insight into the french academies? Look at the present French side.

What does concern me is Houllier's health. Yes it's ok now. But over the past few years, has he been under the same type of pressure that he will experience managing a club in the Premiership?

This is my main worry, but if Houllier is named as our manager within the next couple of days, i will get behind him and the team and will look forward to the January transfer window like never before!

A post from a Liverpool fan I asked:

Ged was never the same for us after his heart attack. I think he also suffered when he came back later that season (2001-02) from his comments that Liverpool were "ten games from greatness" as we were battling for the league title and in the quarter finals of the Champions League. The decision that sticks with me from that season was taking Didi Hamann off in the second leg against Leverkusen. They were 2-1 up on the night, it was 2-2 on aggregate and we were going through. Didi got taken off, we lost all semblance of defensive shape and lost 4-2 on the night.

However, before that season, for the first three seasons of his reign, he did really well for us and he absolutely took the team forward. His signings were hit and miss, but there were more hits than people give him credit for; Dudek (for all his faults played utter blinders in two finals to win us trophies), Steve Finnan (although Rafa saw the best of him), Johnny Riise, Stephane Henchoz was a great bit of business on a free transfer, the partnership between him and Hyypia was outstanding. Then there's the obvious ones of Hyypia, Hamann and McAllister, and then inevitably poor decisions (letting an option on Anelka pass to sign El-Hadji Diouf instead being the most glaring **** up of them all).

Tactically he was a little one dimensional, but that was something that increased after the heart attack. He was definitely more flexible in his earlier years, but as his reign went on, the saying became that "if plan A fails, revert to plan A".

His man management was largely good, both Gerrard and Carragher give Houllier a lot of credit for where they've got to in their careers, partly because he took an interest in them as men as well as footballers.

He has his good points and his bad, they likely cancel each other out into an overall average manager, to be honest, but the memory I like to keep of him is the 2001 treble. It may be considered the 'Mickey Mouse treble' by United and Everton fans but it took a hell of a lot of winning and by **** I enjoyed it.

I think he'll do well for Villa in a finding stability kind of way, I don't think he'll take you much forward from where you are, though neither will he take you backwards, and I'd put my money on Villa winning a cup in the next three years. I certainly think he's a better option than people like Curbishley and I hope he does well.