Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what really, its still an exhibition game.

Are you really comparing the european super cup to our yearly away trip to walsall?

No, thats a pre-season friendly, in fact thats usual a pre-season reserve friendly

Exhibiton then Bicks eh? Match has no meaning. Nothing to win. Just like the Euro Super Cup. D'oh!

Clearly you don't understand the point I'm making, so I'll just give up. If you want to claim the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield as some sort of major honour in football, carry on

Oh do teach us peasants the difference between an exhibition game, a pre-season friendly and a massive metal trophy you get to hold up in front of 50'000 people.

Are you really comparing the european super cup to our yearly away trip to walsall?

No, thats a pre-season friendly, in fact thats usual a pre-season reserve friendly

Exhibiton then Bicks eh? Match has no meaning. Nothing to win. Just like the Euro Super Cup. D'oh!

Clearly you don't understand the point I'm making, so I'll just give up. If you want to claim the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield as some sort of major honour in football, carry on

Oh do teach us peasants the difference between an exhibition game, a pre-season friendly and a massive metal trophy you get to hold up in front of 50'000 people.

The team who wins also gets 2.5mil Euros.

Runners up 2mil Euros

if houllier is announced as manager or dof we've gone backwards. be prepared to watch john gregory style huff and puff. Ashley Young will be sold in the summer, this is the beginning of the end.

The same John Gregory who had us top at christmas?

I'd take top at christmas regardless of the style of football. We could stick it up our shirts and run into the goal for all I care if it got us to the top of the table!

(note: I don't think Houllier will, I'm just making a point)

Moyes,

Football League Second Division

Champions – 1999–2000

LMA Manager of the Year

Winner – 2002–03, 2004–05, 2008–09[19]

FA Premier League Manager of the Month

Winner – September 2004, January 2006, February 2008, February 2009, January 2010, March 2010

North West Manager of the Year

Winner 2007–08

Clearly I can't!

Look an exhibition game is a game where two teams are INVITED to play to act as a an advert for the game. Of course it has a big shiny trophy and a big crowd, thats why its an exhibition game, its an advert for the game. What it isn't is a major honour so in my eyes its not something you boast about as a cup, its a little aside, its no real big deal.

See in 1982 we won the European Cup, something we'd fought hard all season for, progressed round by round, it was a major achievement. We also won the Super Cup in 1982 by beating Barcalona, it wasn't that much of a big deal, who gve a stuff tbh, we were European Champions, thats what mattered

I don't think the Euro Super Cup is a trophy really, of course it is, but it is one game. If you win the Europa League/Uefa Cup, Champions League, that is a trophy, you have won alot of matches and are crowned as champions but a cup that you win by only playing one match isn't a proper trophy in my opinion.

Some will argue that to challenge for it, you have to win the European cups so therefore you have played a lot of games. However, you do get a prize for winning one of the European Competitions, so therefore it is the end of that competition and start of another one.

They would still be listed on his C.V wouldn't they Bickster?

They might not matter to you, but he has won them and matter to him.

I don't think players stash Super cup winners medals out of eyes view because it is classed by some people as an exhibition game, my guess is they would take pride of place like all the others they've won.

Houllier did bring Benzema through didn't he?

Yeah he did, however just like Gerrard people will say he was class anyway. Houllier had a good contribution to both players. I also remember someone saying that the board control the transfers at Lyon, I don't know if that is the case but if it is it works both ways. For one, he didn't sell Carew himself and he didn't bring in excellent talent such as Toulalan and Kallstrom. Either way the guy has a pro or a con.

Meanwhile the guy now has great connections with the French FA and Blanc in particular, I am sure Houllier has in depth information about some of France's rising talents from his recent years doing work for the Clairefontaine academy. Of course we don't want him to bring a load of youngsters who could halt the progression of our home-grown but as Wenger has shown there is a lot of talent in France who can easily adapt to the English game. Although there is a big difference between Wenger and most managers when it comes to eyeing a player.

People have brought up the bad signings and are right to, there are some absolute shockers in there, however there's also some excellent signings.

Another minus point about Gerard is that at Lyon they were very successful before he came, well during his time there he helped them have their most impressive league campaigns (despite losing Essien). He later got sacked for poor Champions League performances (well there were massive arguments with the board that forced him to resign, but they practically made him). A common trend for Lyon is getting to the knockout round them being beaten by a better team, that was simply the case. He also lost more players such as Malouda (French player of the year), Abidal, Diarra and Tiago.

My worry is his age and health, under him we certainly wouldn't have stability he'd be anything but a stop gap, but saying that he could develop us as a club, leave and them we could probably find a greater option.

However he is not as bad as people make out, the people who say his style is boring, well I'd rather have results over the style of play. His style has brought success in the past and whenever he has left a club, it has been in decent shape.

I think some people will be genuinely disappointed if Houllier (or whoever manages us) does well.

Isn't this always the case with Villa fans. We have some pathetic fans who would actually want to see us fail so that they can say 'Told you so!'.

Are you seriously saying that you believe that because some fans on here are not overly ecstatic with the thought of Houllier being our next manager that they want Villa to lose / not win anything?

That becasue they perhaps feel the club did not extend itself in its push for a new manager they want Villa to get beat?

You seriously believe that?

I think some people will be genuinely disappointed if Houllier (or whoever manages us) does well.

Isn't this always the case with Villa fans. We have some pathetic fans who would actually want to see us fail so that they can say 'Told you so!'.

Are you seriously saying that you believe that because some fans on here are not overly ecstatic with the thought of Houllier being our next manager that they want Villa to lose / not win anything?

That becasue they perhaps feel the club did not extend itself in its push for a new manager they want Villa to get beat?

How do you know the club never extended itself to try and get better managers Richard?

How do you know other clubs wasn't asked if we could speak to "insert name here" and we was told point blank....No.

You don't, I don't....

How do you know the club never extended itself to try and get better managers Richard?

How do you know other clubs wasn't asked if we could speak to "insert name here" and we was told point blank....No.

You don't, I don't....

The answer to your question is in the bit in bold and further underlined. ie it is not me saying that I know, or that other fans know.

The answer to your question is in the bit in bold and further underlined.

You don't, I don't....

Richard, the "they" you talk about is YOU!