Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

If its Houllier, then like any manager he'll get my full support

It's hardly an inspiring choice though, and screams SHORT TERM due to his age. Which doesn't fit in with the building a dynasty line

But, hey ho. Onwards we go

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Houllier but I don't blame the board. Left in an akward position with not too many names, if I'm honest. There is no single candidate i'd actually like at the club. So I'm willing to give it a chance and be proved wrong. Well I say proved wrong, I still think we'll finish around top 8, but I don't think it's the right appointment because I think the club will give him money, I think he'll spend it fairly badly, although we'll still have a decent team, I think in 2/3 years time, we'll have a big squad, a lot of shite in the squad and probably struggle more in the league around 8th-9th....and be searching for a new manager.

I'm happy with the appointment of Houlier. He was one of the much better names mentioned. Could be really good for us. I don't get why this makes the board ambitionless?
Ok mate this is a fantastic apointment, gonna add about another 8,000 season ticket holders right? Dont mug yourself off, FFS i would rather take neil warnock or lambert than this clearing in the woods...

You'd rather have Neil Warnock? Get a grip mate!

Seconded. Neil Warnock is a muppet, even his wife picks up on his hypocrisy!

Besides, what has Warnock won? I think if you put his trophy cabinet side by side with Houlliers your jaw may drop.

A couple of things worry me, firstly Warnock & Friedel could just be paper talk trying to cause trouble but then this is the manager who saw fit to get rid of Carew for Baros ( I think ), but I'm just glad its not KMac or Southgate or Curbishley....UTV

I don't know about better... different and arguably more successful, but maybe not better.

The fact that he is arguably more successful means he is better. He's already won more silverware in this league than MON ever did, and we will play a lot better football now.

One things for sure, it will give a few of our passengers a good kick up the arse. Everyone will be playing for their future, which can only do us well in the short term. In the long term, we have January and no doubt Houllier will know what we need, everyone can see we need a new striker but perhaps one can be got from the continent that is better than some of the British based players MON was linked with.

However I reckon top 8 should be the target and see what we can do next season.

Looking forward to seeing old dildo nose down the Villa. Who'd betting he's the first coaching staff that Houllier appoints?! :lol:

Oh well, he's to the Gallic-Scouse invasion. Zut alors!

It's hardly an inspiring choice though, and screams SHORT TERM due to his age. Which doesn't fit in with the building a dynasty line

He's only 2 years older than MON!

I don't know about better... different and arguably more successful, but maybe not better.

The fact that he is arguably more successful means he is better. He's already won more silverware in this league than MON ever did, and we will play a lot better football now.

One things for sure, it will give a few of our passengers a good kick up the arse. Everyone will be playing for their future, which can only do us well in the short term. In the long term, we have January and no doubt Houllier will know what we need, everyone can see we need a new striker but perhaps one can be got from the continent that is better than some of the British based players MON was linked with.

However I reckon top 8 should be the target and see what we can do next season.

I see your point but he has been around longer and the Premier League was a lot different back then when he won things than it is now. But I will accept that Houllier has experience of being a winner and I like to think that since his last silverware, he has been keeping up to date with how the game has progressed, along with how the Premier League is different. I don't think his appointment is the grey cloud that a lot of people here seem to think it is.

Sounds as if its all over. The one thing that can be said in its favour is the fact that Houllier HAS a certain amount of experience at the top.....I mean, its not as if his managerial history includes glittering, trophy-littered clubs like Charlton and West Ham? And, at least, he is the SORT of candidate we ought to be aiming for.

Whether he can be said to have been a success is probably down to the individuals perception of him and I must admit to being slightly indifferent. He might come here and be a resounding disaster, in which case there'll be a lot of told-you-so's and a new manager 12months down the line. Or, on the other hand, it could just work and in a couple of years time time we're playing Real or Barca in the group stages!

The fact is we DON'T know......not yet!

David Moyes would be barmy to leave Everton for Villa. Some fans really need to open their eyes to reality.

Villa aren't a small club akin to the likes of Blackburn or Wigan - we're easily as big if not bigger than Everton, so why shouldn't we go out and get a manager from that club if we choose to?

We have to show some ambition in life.

Because he doesn't want to come, ffs.

That could well be true, but in reality you're guessing as much as I am.

It's not true from what I've been told...

However there is the question of morals, principles & deserting one's comrades........... not to mention the current employer's take on matters!!

Forget the morals David, just come!

You say that regularly? :winkold:

Its only sky sources, sky sources understood that Bob Bradley would be our next manager, sky sources understood that Carlton Cole was off to Liverpool last week.

I'll wait till a quote comes out direct from Villa Park before I get excited about collecting my 120 quid and feeling a touch underwhelmed by the appointment.

Houlier is decent. Probably one of the best available managers we could have got. Should do well.
This. Would have liked Mourinho though.

It's hard to attract managers to Birmingham, although it's the second city, it's just got a bad rep by almost everyone who don't live in it.

Even people who live in Birmingham often slate it, I have to say myself, I've heard my voice/accent on the radio and I wish I never.

I dont understand this talk of Warnock being unhappy. He would have been very young when Houllier was a Liverpool and just breaking into the first team squad so the loan to Coventry would have made sense to get him experience. Pretty sure it was Benitez that would have upset him. Friedel should be old enough and professional enough to get on with things so no worries there. As for Carew, as much as i like him it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were to move on. He has done a job for us but we probably need someone better now anyway.

Its only sky sources, sky sources understood that Bob Bradley would be our next manager, sky sources understood that Carlton Cole was off to Liverpool last week.

I'll wait till a quote comes out direct from Villa Park before I get excited about collecting my 120 quid and feeling a touch underwhelmed by the appointment.

Yellow ticker is a different matter. :)

He's only 2 years older than MON!

Martin O'Neill is 58. Gerard Houllier is 63. Thats 5 years.