Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Jason Mcateer is talking a load of shite there tbh. He knows nothing about MON. He wasn't hands on at all, he hardly ever took training. I think it could also be said last year we were more worried about not losing as opposed to trying to win all our games.

Problem is though Beasley 14 McCateer has played under Houllier & he reckons the players are in for a shock! Looks like we're gonna be ultra defensive from now on & I can,t say I'm overly inspired by this impending appointment.

I'm with Maradonna however in so much that I will TOTALLY support who ever eventually sits in the hot seat.

This thread is absolutely massive now & without trawling through each individual page I wonder who was first here to call Houllier correctly?

Take a bow son, take a bow!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not my first, or even second choice, but he must have impressed the board, and it seems he has alot of contact and knows the European, especially french leage inside out. I'll support him though, I was hoping we would be getting a younger, more high profile manager, but think about it, typical Villa , not astounding, not terrible, right in the upper middle region. :winkold:

I'm happy with Houllier, although I'm concerned about the structure that he will be asked to work in. IMO he needs to be the main man - hopefully he can work with KMac

GH doesnt come without a few negatives but then I can't think of many managers who don't

I won't be too worried about how we play so long as we are near the top of the table - realistically if he can get us in the top 8 this season and then make a push for top 6 (or even top 4 !!) next season I would be estatic.

I really struggle to understand what some people posting here were expecting - to be honest we need to pull together and get behind the club now

UTV

With Houllier looking set to become the new manager, does anyone think that we could see the return of Milan Baros to Villa Park? Houllier seems to be a fan of Baros having signed him for Liverpool and Lyon, so this wouldnt surprise me if it was to happen in January.

What does anyone else think?

Jason Mcateer is talking a load of shite there tbh. He knows nothing about MON. He wasn't hands on at all, he hardly ever took training. I think it could also be said last year we were more worried about not losing as opposed to trying to win all our games.
Were you at Bodymoor for all the training sessions last year?

More worried about not losing? We got more points than in previous years, finished 6th in the league and won at Anfield and Mould Trafford. Yep that strikes me as more worried about losing than trying to win

With Houllier looking set to become the new manager, does anyone think that we could see the return of Milan Baros to Villa Park? Houllier seems to be a fan of Baros having signed him for Liverpool and Lyon, so this wouldnt surprise me if it was to happen in January.

To be honest I wouldn't mind that as long as Baros' heart was in it this time. On his day he can be a very good goalscorer, but that doesn't come too often. I think I would prefer Baros to Heskey, but a combination of the 2 is quite scary... for us.

Not a chance IMO

1) Doubt Houllier would sign him again - he didn't succeed for him at Lyon

2) Coaching staff would all advise against

3) Baros would need some convincing to set foot in VP again

Not going to happen - don't worry

When we signed Baros a load of scousers told me he can't dribble or go past players but only runs head down accross the pitch, he can't head the ball & he doesn't score goals. Alas they were right on all scores.

I hope to God he does not return to Villa Park because I can still remember his last game for us against Watford when he played absolutely shite & missed 3 sitters. We won 2-0 eventually, but only after Baros was hauled off to cat calls allround.

Would be a bad move by Houllier to even think about bringing hime back here & I suggest GH would have a very short stay in B6 if he goes down that route.

gutted if true

I thought signing Harewood was a bad day for the club

then I thought Heskey was a new all time low point for the club

seems we are about to go lower still

may as well kept Doug in charge tbh

gutted if true

Who did you want as manager?

Houllier is better than some we have been linked with but not as good as others. In many cases those better than him are already in employment

Over time I have found myself disagreeing with more and more of your posts, Richard. However, I don't think anyone can argue a great deal with that summary. I might suggest that it is actually "In the large majority of cases" but it doesn't really matter a great deal.

IMO Houllier is a good appointment (assuming he will be confirmed as manager in the next 48hrs). We haven't signed the new Mourinho, but equally we haven't signed the new (or, thank god, current) Phil Brown. We will not be relegated this season, nor will we win the league. There's a fairly good chance that Houllier will be able to maintain MON's league record over the last 3 years. There's also a reasonably good chance he'll be able to maintain or improve on MON's cup record. We appear to have spent some time considering our options, and given all the factors at play (principally the timing), I am fairly happy with how the board have dealt with this issue. There are some lessons to be learnt (more football knowledge on the board being a standout lesson), but I have seen nothing over the last 4 years to suggest that Randy et al will not take these lessons on board.

The sooner that posters accept that Richard's post is an accurate reflection of the situation we found ourselves in, and the decision we have made, the sooner this thread will be vaguely readable again. At the moment, ~90% of the posts in this thread are hysterical over-reactions, adding nothing to the debate.

gutted if true

There's no easy answer to this question. I'm as underwhelmed as anyone but then I concede that apart from Jol, Hughes or Moyes, I wouldn't have been happy with too many others. A man who hasn't managed in the ever changing world of the Premiership, a man who hasn't managed for 3 years? We can't do better than that? I hope so. I'll support him if this is true though.

gutted if true

i would like to know this too.

Houllier is better than some we have been linked with but not as good as others. In many cases those better than him are already in employment

Over time I have found myself disagreeing with more and more of your posts, Richard. However, I don't think anyone can argue a great deal with that summary. I might suggest that it is actually "In the large majority of cases" but it doesn't really matter a great deal.

IMO Houllier is a good appointment (assuming he will be confirmed as manager in the next 48hrs). We haven't signed the new Mourinho, but equally we haven't signed the new (or, thank god, current) Phil Brown. We will not be relegated this season, nor will we win the league. There's a fairly good chance that Houllier will be able to maintain MON's league record over the last 3 years. There's also a reasonably good chance he'll be able to maintain or improve on MON's cup record. We appear to have spent some time considering our options, and given all the factors at play (principally the timing), I am fairly happy with how the board have dealt with this issue. There are some lessons to be learnt (more football knowledge on the board being a standout lesson), but I have seen nothing over the last 4 years to suggest that Randy et al will not take these lessons on board.

The sooner that posters accept that Richard's post is an accurate reflection of the situation we found ourselves in, and the decision we have made, the sooner this thread will be vaguely readable again. At the moment, ~90% of the posts in this thread are hysterical over-reactions, adding nothing to the debate.

I think you will find that what Richard has said some of us have been saying for days now...I'm glad he finally got it.

Agree with 90% of this but don't agree that 90% are hysterical over reactions just Villa fan's very anxious & concerned that the heirarchy appoint the right man for Aston Villa.

Richard's analysis is succinct & spot on. (Hopefully 90% of you out there don't disagree with this post either :lol:

gutted if true

There's no easy answer to this question. I'm as underwhelmed as anyone but then I concede that apart from Jol, Hughes or Moyes, I wouldn't have been happy with too many others. A man who hasn't managed in the ever changing world of the Premiership, a man who hasn't managed for 3 years? We can't do better than that? I hope so. I'll support him if this is true though.

Who would you prefer - GH not my dream appointment (I would have liked Moyes or Jol but both already employed) but a good solid manager who has experience at the very highest level.