Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is Houllier/K Mac i will trust our board to have come up with the best option for the club. They were the ones who interviewed everyone afterall!

It could be a perfect match actually with K mac taking some of the work load off Houllier which would be better for him with his health concerns & Houllier bringing a wealth of experience & knowhow to the table & doing the manager stuff which KM has clearly indicated he does not like. KM will have more knowledge of the playing staff than anybody else alive & both enjoy the development of youth systems etc. I am sure they can work out an agreeable system of working between them they are grown men afterall!

Of course this will most likely all change tomorrow mind with someone else throwing his hat in :lol:

Did anyone else see how Sky Sports understands that only McDonald and Houllier are the only people in the frame for the job.

I cannot find it online anywhere but they reported about 6ish tonight...

Yeah I heard that too, then they showed Sven getting out of a car presumably about to go for another interview elsewhere :)

I am wondering if the job has been sold to Houllier as part of a team in a DOF format or is he expecting to come in and be the boss.

If the former is true and he is OK with that then he must feel that it can work

Unless he is getting a good pay packet?

I'm really not sure how a Houllier and K Mac pairing will work. Do they even know each other any more than in passing and the odd pleasantry? do they share the same footballing philosophy - like to play the same style of football etc. If as I suspect they don't know each other will they be able to be frank with each other and tell the other one they are wrong and most importantly will each of them be able to trust the other.

I would suggest it is a massive risk to just throw two people together and hope they click and it works.

I'm also not convinced what makes a man who as far as I know as never coached above reserve team level at club level suddenly good enough to be the first team coach of a top 6 Premiership side never mind considered good enough to be manager.

If this is indeed the way the club is going then I wish these two the best of luck as I think they are going to need it.

Yeah I heard that too, then they showed Sven getting out of a car presumably about to go for another interview elsewhere Smile

Didn't I read somewhere that HIS interview became "animated"...

THAT''s what we need a bit of passion for the job!!!

"SHOW ME THE MONEY LERNER!!!"

mrburnsrealbymataleonerq.jpg

is it just me but I just cant imagine Sven getting animated.

I'm having more trouble imagining a scenario where a job interview NEEDED to get animated in the first place. And by whom.

Houllier will head up 3-man Aston Villa dream team

Published 23:00 03/09/10 By John Percy

Gerard Houllier is set to be unveiled as the head of a new Aston Villa boot room on Monday - part of a major gamble by Randy Lerrner.

The 62-year-old Frenchman is prepared to take on the role of Director of Football as part of a new three-man strategy to be unveiled by Villa’s American owner.

Houllier will head up the operation to assist new head coach Kevin MacDonald and Steve Staunton, who will join the Villa Park staff as assistant coach.

Lerner has taken a major risk in adopting the continental strategy favoured on the continent, but which has hardly been attempted in England.

He has gone against the warning of former boss Martin O’Neill - who claimed before his resignation that managers in the Premier League should be allowed to run `all football matters.’

Houllier has not been involved in management since he left Lyon in 2007 and also suffered heart problems during his six-years in charge of Liverpool and had to undergo a heart by-pass.

Villa are reluctant to expose the Frenchman to the intense pressure of Premier League management, but feel he could work alongside MacDonald.

Former Liverpool midfielder MacDonald, 49, is regarded as an excellent coach, but his lack of extensive managerial experience at the highest level has been exposed during his short stint as caretaker.

Villa have responded to advice given to them by former manager Graham Taylor, who met with chief executive Paul Faulkner in a brain-storming session last week.

The former England manager is convinced such a structure would work well and would leave MacDonald on the training ground where his strengths lie.

MacDonald has been interviewed for the post by Lerner and made it clear he would be happy to work in such a partnership with a more experienced figure.

His appointment, crucially, will also be welcomed by the Villa players - with many of the current squad left disillusioned by O’Neill’s final months in charge.

Staunton, 41, worked with MacDonald with the Republic of Ireland and will also be a popular appointment after spending seven years as a player with the club.

Villa insiders claimed last night the process is still `ongoing’ but it is understood they are set to announce their new set-up early next week.

Aston Villa have re-signed veteran goalkeeper Andy Marshall on a one-year deal

clicky