Match Thread

andykeenan

No way should Friedel be letting a free-kick go in on that side of the goal. I absolutely hate it.

If a player is good enough to get the ball up and over the wall and into the corner then you take your hat off to them but don't give them the **** easy option of placing it in the corner where the keeper should be covering.

I mean, I wonder what's harder. Smashing a shot into the corner where the wall isn't, with no one to block it or trying to curl it over the top of the wall and then get the ball to curl back down and into the top corner.

I understand your point, honestly. But did you see how well he struck it?

Does the season start sooner in Portugal? They look a lot sharper than us.

I think they started last weekend, IIRC when Citeh lost to Sporting in America, there first league game was the following weekend.

Benfica have been good, so were Bohemians, and Basingstoke. We've been very poor so far in six pre-season games and we've got one more left after this one - I think we should be concerned.

I wonder how many more they'll have to get before the papers and SSN feel the need to make something of this, if it's six we can look forward to all sorts of crap in the morning.

You can't play 4-4-2 against a technically superior team who are playing 4-3-3. Especially when Steve Sidwell is one of your CM's. We have no pattern of play and are unable to keep posession, which is fundamental. This could end up 6-0 or something silly.

No way should Friedel be letting a free-kick go in on that side of the goal. I absolutely hate it.

If a player is good enough to get the ball up and over the wall and into the corner then you take your hat off to them but don't give them the **** easy option of placing it in the corner where the keeper should be covering.

I mean, I wonder what's harder. Smashing a shot into the corner where the wall isn't, with no one to block it or trying to curl it over the top of the wall and then get the ball to curl back down and into the top corner.

I understand your point, honestly. But did you see how well he struck it?

Yes but it went to the side of him. If the ball goes past him before he even has time to react, okay, but the ball was not even close to his reach. If he was able to cover that save, he could of saved it.

well, it is pretty concerning that the style of play and ball retention has not changed at all. lump it up to the target man, he holds it up and feeds it wide. winger bangs in a cross and hopes someone gets on the end.

exactly the same as the last 2 seasons, and if it doesnt improve then this coming season is going to be the same as before. top 6, maybe a cup final but ultimately falling short of champs league.

cant fault the effort, but until we start passing the ball and moving, we will remain a limited team

Hahaha they are so much better than us its funny.

The amount of work that is needed on this team to be ready for the first team is unbelievable...let alone to make it champions league contenders.

Think I'll just go to bed.

What the hell?! Have you even looked at the team we have out there?!

Friedel, Dunne, Petrov and Young are the only first team regulars on the pitch. Some people need to get a grip...

THIS!!!!

FFS peeps its a "FRIENDLY" here is a definition

An exhibition game (also known as an exhibition match, exhibition, demonstration, demo, exhibit or friendly) is a sporting event in which there is no competitive value of any significant kind to any competitor (such as tournament or season rankings, or prize money) regardless of the outcome of the competition

define as much as you want. we have no movement, no passing, no technical ability and no game plan. are we supposed to be this bad 14 days before PL kick off just because it is a friendly?

We know it's a f**king friendly!! Are we not allowed to be concerned at our team's level of sharpness? Or should we be happy and laughing at a 3-0 half time hiding like some of you?

This is our 2nd match in 24 hours in very hot and humid conditions. Most of us would struggle to get to the bar and back balancing a full round in these conditions and Benfica have had a crafty day off don't forget. UTV.

They only played 45mins against a bunch of kids. I agree with Brumerican.

We know it's a f**king friendly!! Are we not allowed to be concerned at our team's level of sharpness? Or should we be happy and laughing at a 3-0 half time hiding like some of you?

I'm not laughing, nor am I overly concerned. This is a shadow of the team that will play against Wet Spam in a couple of weeks.

This is a run out and an exercise in fitness.

I think we're looking for excuses.

The bottom line is Benfica pass better, they move better and are taking it very seriously!

We are simply not good enough to turn up away to the Portugese champions with players like Shorey, Sidwell and Heskey and expect to win!

No doubt we'll get an appearance from the ghost Stewart Downing in the second half (assuming he wasn't playing first half of course!)

Friedel letting in goals wearing that kit is not a pretty site!