Match Thread

andykeenan

We were pretty poor but it was just a friendly so I wouldn't get too worried about it. The only worry is if we have to rely on the likes of Sidwell, Shorey, L.Young and Curtis Davies whe the season starts properly.

It seems MON is trying to get rid of them, let's just hope he can.

What were Carew and Aimar doing?

And to the people criticising Delfouneso, he was playing against David Luiz and Luisao who are top class international CB's. They took it very seriously. What exactly were Villa fans or MON expecting?

We could do with Delph in pre season.

Martin O'Neill Benfica Verdict

By Paul Brown in Portugal

Martin O'Neill admitted Villa were beaten by the better side - and stressed Benfica's fitness levels were something to aspire to.

O'Neill insisted you often learn more from a defeat rather than a victory and stressed Villa still have work to do as they prepare for the start of the 2010-11 campaign.

The Eagles have had a more comprehensive pre-season and O'Neill thought that extra sharpness showed over the 90 minutes.

But the Villa boss hopes more intense training as well as the prestigious friendly clash with Valencia this week will stand the team in good stead before West Ham on August 14.

He said: "It was a proper test. It will bring us on immensely. I have learnt more from this game than I did from the match the night before.

"Despite the fact we were well beaten in the game, I am delighted to have had the match. The game showed the kind of fitness levels that Benfica are playing at and what we have to achieve.

Advertisement

"The game was very, very important. We played against a side who always keep the ball, they played some little one-twos, and you're chasing the game for good periods of the match. Maybe not now, but eventually it should stand us in good stead.

"We went last season and won the Peace Cup with a group of young players. People got carried away because we beat the likes of Juventus.

"It's a different quality here with Benfica. It's been a real good lesson - should be anyway - particularly for the young players and now we have to get concentrated on a fortnight of work to get ready for the opening day of the season.

"The match was about learning a few things and getting that fitness, match fitness, which you need for the start of the season."

The manager also felt the clashes with Feyenoord and Benfica and the upcoming Valencia game will whet the players' appetites for the Europa League this season - especially the younger stars like Marc Albrighton.

He added: "These are the games for players who do not have a great deal of European experience.

"If I was any one of our young kids, I would want to be participating in that.

"For instance, Marc should be going to the video and having a little look. Against Feyenoord he was able to go past two or three players and then suddenly a couple of Benfica players were quick, closing him down, closing that space and making you think. That is as good a lesson as any."

On the injury front, O'Neill revealed Carlos Cuellar and Ashley Young were concerns after being withdrawn during the exciting game.

Cuellar sustained a hamstring injury early on while Young injured his knee.

Both will be assessed later today [Monday].

Stiliyan Petrov suffered concussion late on while James Milner failed to recover from the bad back which kept him out of the Feyenoord clash.

avfc

We were pretty poor but it was just a friendly so I wouldn't get too worried about it. The only worry is if we have to rely on the likes of Sidwell, Shorey, L.Young and Curtis Davies whe the season starts properly.

these guys ahvent played much you cant expect miracles straight away.

ina way im glad we got spanked as mon will see how the fitness levels are not there yet and see where the problems arise.

against florentina we looked great and teh peace cup then we flopped against wigan

we need players though, mon better strengthen this week