Match Thread

andykeenan

I think as a fan you want to see a level of effort and attitude during pre-season friendlies. It's safe to say that we haven't seen that (although some players on the pitch now are playing better). I don't expect wins, but I don't expect embarrassment. The statement "it's only pre-season" doesn't hold any weight to me. If you aren't preparing yourself for success in the season in games like this, why even play friendlies? Fitness? Fitness doesn't matter when you are blindly running behind your opponents, watching them score. Ideally the players should be learning to play with each other, and playing better with every game. If they lose, there should be some effort, and they should have the control to keep their spikes down. I'm not going to say the season is lost, because it isn't. But this shouldn't be overlooked, there are a lot of simple breakdowns that shouldn't be happening this late in summer. I think MON can get the players working again, but "fitness" is one of many problems right now.