Barry Bannan

villianusa

Yesterdays performance wont change my opinion that he's a subpar footballer who shouldn't be anywhere near a premiership side

He's miles behind Westwood and Delph players who have consistently shown after being given a run of games that they are decent players

As soon as Delph has served his suspension hopefully he goes back in the side with Bannan warming the bench where he belongs till his contract runs out

Hahaha. Why has Delph become a new midfield Messiah for some. I just don't see it. Is it because he has played well in games we've lost?!?

Bannan has played in 5 of our League wins( he missed West Ham game), Delph in 2

I really don't like Delph. The only thing we've got going for us atm is getting the ball forward quickly and Delph is another sideways/backwards passer and god love him when he trys to dribble.

Would never have guessed!

Good post well made!

In a game against the weakest side in the premier league he was still unable to influence the game as players in his role should. Lambert actually got something right in bollocking him and taking him off when he did because he was in danger of playing the billy big bollox ball once too often straight to Reading players when we needed controlled midfield play.

Should be sold soon

I get it. From now on "Billy Big Bollox" shall replace "hollywood ball" as the new quickest and easiest phrase with which I can trash Bannan.

It makes sense.

Bannan no longer hits hollywood balls that consistently miss their targets. Can't trash him for what he isn't doing.

He actually has the highest percentage crossing accuracy in the Premier League (among players with a large sample of crosses) and his long ball accuracy has improved. Don't want to give anyone the opportunity to remind us of those stats!

Another inconvenient fact is, when Bannan plays we keep winning - 5/6 wins with Bannan playing an active role in the victory.

So how can I trash Bannan now his play is not only improved, he is quite possibly also important for the team? "Hollywood Ball" Bannan no longer cuts it.

Every time he tries something and fails, makes a mistake, I will call him Billy Big Bollox! Tries a shot from distance and clears the crossbar? Billy Big Bollox at it again!

It's funny because Bannan's small, and we're calling him big, because he thinks he's a Big Player trying to do stuff, like help us win.

• Like 2

I get it. From now on "Billy Big Bollox" shall replace "hollywood ball" as the new quickest and easiest phrase with which I can trash Bannan.

Another inconvenient fact is, when Bannan plays we keep winning - 5/6 wins with Bannan playing an active role in the victory.

You say it's inconvenient that when Bannan plays we keep winning, which absolute tripe. When was the last time a team that kept winning was involved in a relegation fight? Don't waste your time searching the internet for the answer... I'll tell you. Never in the history of world football has a team that keeps winning been relegated.

Since we are on the topic of stating the bleeding bloody obvious, but do you think that if Bannan plays nearly every game he will involved in nearly every victory? I don't think this is a very strong argument for you... it's stands to reason.

Even more nonsense comes when you state he plays an active role in the victory. The highest percentage crossing, yet 1 assist all season with no goals. Remind me again how that is an active role from what is meant to be our creative player? I can understand those stats if it were our goalie, but it isn't... in fact our most potent striker relishes balls into the box being the strong monster that he is... yet 1 assist... I think what you are trying to allude to is that you would prefer Bannan's crosses over Bale's. You're nucking futs. 

There comes a point when you have to come to realisation that you are only defending your points through stubbornness. I think you crossed that point many weeks ago but continue with this nonsense.

Hasn't Lowton also played in every league win, we've had this season? And every draw? And every loss?

Yes. He's on 9 yellow cards though, so we may be without him soon on a suspension.

Bannan did not play in all the games in the first half of the season.

Up until the Southampton game (22 matches) he started 14 matches.

Bannan's record

5 Wins

Swansea, Sunderland, Reading, Liverpool, Reading

7 Losses 

Everton, Southampton, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Wigan, Newcastle

4 Draws

Newcastle, Arsenal, QPR, Stoke

These are the results in the games he started. If we start Bannan, 31% time we win.

Aston Villa Club record

6 Wins

14 Losses

9 Draws

Club has won 20.7% of games this season, with and without Bannan.

If we had started Bannan in more matches, and we won 31% of the time - like Bannan has done - we would have 9 wins, and be mid-table with West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke and Fulham.

• Like 1

Delph slows the game down, does reckless tackles, and plays in 2 league wins out of 16 starts yet is flavour of the month. 

I can't remember a player at Villa that people love to hate as Bannan for no apparent reason. We are performing shit as a team overall yet he's been involved in most of our successes.

I can't remember a player at Villa that people love to hate as Bannan for no apparent reason.

Lee Hendrie

Ulysses De La Cruz.

Jlloyd Samuel

Peter Whittingham

...and the list goes on.

Hasn't Lowton also played in every league win, we've had this season? And every draw? And every loss?

Yes. He's on 9 yellow cards though, so we may be without him soon on a suspension.

Bannan did not play in all the games in the first half of the season.

Up until the Southampton game (22 matches) he started 14 matches.

Bannan's record

5 Wins

Swansea, Sunderland, Reading, Liverpool, Reading

7 Losses 

Everton, Southampton, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Wigan, Newcastle

4 Draws

Newcastle, Arsenal, QPR, Stoke

These are the results in the games he started. If we start Bannan, 31% time we win.

Aston Villa Club record

6 Wins

14 Losses

9 Draws

Club has won 20.7% of games this season, with and without Bannan.

If we had started Bannan in more matches, and we won 31% of the time - like Bannan has done - we would have 9 wins, and be mid-table with West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke and Fulham.

That's a incredibly narrow-minded (i.e. flawed) argument though, isn't it?  For example, by the same logic you could say that in all league games Craig Gardner got on the pitch in 09/10, we won and as such if we'd played him in every game we'd have walked the league.

You'd be completely ignoring the fact that he played all of 5 minutes in 1 game, just as you're negating all common sense with this "we start Bannan, we win 31% of the time".

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1