Barry Bannan

villianusa

I am sure that Bannan got subbed for trying to be Barry big bollox again. 5 mins before he went we had kept possession for quite some when Bannan, with options, decided to try to turn a Reading player (ala Clarke last week) and lost the ball in a critical area. Lambert went absolutely spare and Bannan spent the next 1 minute apologising to his team mates and to the bench.

I noticed this. Bannan was key to the good spell of possession we had, then he went and ruined it by doing something silly.

Immaturity. Needs more experience. He'll get there. He was held back by MON so his game is still retarded for his age, which at 23 and 3 months is still pretty young.

Bannan really doesn't do that many "Hollywood" balls at all. Todays performance was no different to any other. He sat deep, picked out a pass and moved into space to retrieve it again. The whole opinion that he does hollywood passes all game is just complete bollocks imo. Yeah, he may try 1 or 2 in a match, but if any other player did it they wouldnt get half the stick he does. I think Villa fans are very unfair on Bannan, he's an easy target yet I dont know why.

• Like 1

Bannan really doesn't do that many "Hollywood" balls at all. Todays performance was no different to any other. He sat deep, picked out a pass and moved into space to retrieve it again. The whole opinion that he does hollywood passes all game is just complete bollocks imo. Yeah, he may try 1 or 2 in a match, but if any other player did it they wouldnt get half the stick he does. I think Villa fans are very unfair on Bannan, he's an easy target yet I dont know why.

He attracts more criticism to his game than others because he isn't as good as others. He has very little to his game... he is small, he is weak so he can't defend, he hasn't got a great shot and he doesn't get many assists despite all the crosses he attempts. Given the lack of all these things it makes his long ball passes stand out in his game... and more often than not they go astray.

Hasn't he played in every game we've won this season?

Yeah but apparently because he doesn't score enough goals and get enough direct assists, and because he got nicked for drink-driving once - he gets it in the neck from quite a few on here.

• Like 1

Yeah but apparently because he doesn't score enough goals and get enough direct assists, and because he got nicked for drink-driving once - he gets it in the neck from quite a few on here.

Are you saying he does score enough goals or that he does get enough assists? Simple questions, yes or no?

awful, just awful

We've picked up allot more points when he's on than when he isn't. Opposite to Bennett. What does that say about Bannan.

Lets not let facts get in the way of a good whinge. Better just to let him tire himself out then resume normal conversation. 

Don't you also defend Bennet quite a lot?

Yet facts show we don't win with him on the pitch?

And considering your defence of Lambert it looks like you pick and choose when to be a strong believer in facts.

Don't rate him at all but didnt do much wrong yesterday blaming him for missing the goal when gabby scored would be a little unfair. Was amazed when lambert picked him ahead of Nzogbia

awful, just awful

We've picked up allot more points when he's on than when he isn't. Opposite to Bennett. What does that say about Bannan.

Lets not let facts get in the way of a good whinge. Better just to let him tire himself out then resume normal conversation. 

Don't you also defend Bennet quite a lot?

Yet facts show we don't win with him on the pitch?

And considering your defence of Lambert it looks like you pick and choose when to be a strong believer in facts.

Nope, I've criticised Bennett on many, many occasions. I do think he played well against Man City though.

I've not been too vocal in my support of Lambert or too critical because I try to be balanced and I did say that I would give him, at the very minimum, a season. 

It must be easier just criticising everything and whinging though.

Are you saying he does score enough goals or that he does get enough assists? Simple questions, yes or no?

It's not really his role in the team to do so, so yes. 

theres isnt really much consistency on here from members of their opinions of players

it makes no odds if a player has one good 45 minutes, or even one good game, its their performance throughout the season that has determined where we are now to where we finish

as for stats, i dont believe they are anywhere linked to bannans time on the pitch, but then again, as most of you know, stats can be twisted and turned to enhance your opinion when it suits ;-)

theres isnt really much consistency on here from members of their opinions of players

it makes no odds if a player has one good 45 minutes, or even one good game, its their performance throughout the season that has determined where we are now to where we finish

as for stats, i dont believe they are anywhere linked to bannans time on the pitch, but then again, as most of you know, stats can be twisted and turned to enhance your opinion when it suits ;-)

Yeah but you can say that about any argument.. facts are generally used to reinforce an argument and stats are the closest things to facts that we really have in football.

It must be easier just criticising everything and whinging though.

No I'd imagine its much easier to ignore what an abysmal season it's been and moan at fans who express their unhappiness about it.

Yeah but you can say that about any argument.. facts are generally used to reinforce an argument and stats are the closest things to facts that we really have in football.

So you'd agree that Lambert is doing an utterly horrendous job then?

The facts certainly show that.

• Like 1

Thought he was decent yesterday. I've said it before, even when he was playing badly he does seem to provide a platform for the team to push forward. He is a lot more forward thinking than Westwood and we seem to benefit from that offensively. It also helped that he didn't even try a single hollywood pass as I'm sure PL drilled it into him that he should cut that shit out or he'd be dropped again.

It's not really his role in the team to do so, so yes. 

Oh really? And you know that how exactly? Are you in direct contact with Lambert?

Personally I don't think his contribution to the team is good enough, you obviously feel differently but I think it is a perfectly justified criticism of him yet you try and dismiss this as being unjust. You also bring up drink driving as if this is the reason why people are critical of him yet I don't recall seeing it mentioned in this thread for quite some time. In fact the only people that mention it oddly are those of you trying to defend him, you use it again as a way to try and discredit those who are critical of him even though they don't mention it.

Bannan is in my view a distinctly average player who makes constant mistakes to give away the ball. The plus points in his game aren't sufficient to make up for the negatives and so personally I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. That has nothing to do with drink driving.

As for the stat he has played in every game we've won that really is rather meaningless, it is on a par with the "Spurs can't win with Bale in the team" nonsense.

• Like 4

Bannan was better than normal yesterday but he still didnt play anywhere near as well as Westwood. 

He, as Trent says, is an average player at best and yesterday showed that. A few nice passes here and there and decent link up, to losing the ball on several occasions, winning the odd tackle and more poor shooting. Richard made the comment that it would be unfair to blame him for missing when Gab scored but I think it is fair to criticise him for it. He did well to get into the position but he should have put it away.