Barry Bannan

villianusa

none of us know how many games they would have got under MoN

According to Bannan himself he was told to move on as he was told he would never make it in the premier league because of his size so I doubt he would've got any game time at all.

Yep. There was also the suggestion last summer prior to MONs departure that he was looking to offload Bannan permanently, I think it's fair to say he wasn't a MON style player and wouldn't be in our team right now if MON was still here.

MON’s a prat in many ways, but frankly you have a strange way of making him out to be one. How old was Bannan when he made his first team debut; 18? And then he was ‘dropped’? He was better than say Barry and Petrov? or Milner and Young? I don’t think Bannan would have expected to have been in front of them. Was it MON’s fault that Delph got injured, which seems to have limited his first team appearances? Or maybe Delph isn’t quite as good as some would make out?

I thought that Delph could have had a lot more appearances under MON than he did. There were quite a few games before he got injured that he could have played in (or had more sub appearances, instead of the standard Sidwell-substitution that we had to endure), there were also games where MON took him off when he was one of our better players.

I remember him playing against Man Utd and Blackburn and, at the time, many people said he was our current MOTM but MON chose to take him off.

MON was good for some youngers (Young/ Gabby/ Milner etc) but, in my memory, there were a LOT of occasions when he could have brought on Albrighton/ Bannan/ Delph instead of Sidwell/ Heskey etc. Obviously this was a year previous to Houllier's arrival so they won't have been as good as they were last season, but still, you'd think they would have been good enough for a few cameos every now and then.

MON was good for some youngers (Young/ Gabby/ Milner etc) but, in my memory, there were a LOT of occasions when he could have brought on Albrighton/ Bannan/ Delph

Take for example Albrighton; he played him in a FA cup against Brighton. Albrighton played brilliantly, but then got injured and didn’t come back to March; you can’t play someone when they are out can you?

MON was good for some youngers (Young/ Gabby/ Milner etc) but, in my memory, there were a LOT of occasions when he could have brought on Albrighton/ Bannan/ Delph instead of Sidwell/ Heskey etc. Obviously this was a year previous to Houllier's arrival so they won't have been as good as they were last season, but still, you'd think they would have been good enough for a few cameos every now and then.

Hmmm...MON good with Young, Gabby, Milner?

So that's not such a bad track record, is it?

And the case against is he didn't bring on Bannan and Albrighton enough two seasons ago when they were still learning their trade?

Even last season they played when we had lots of injuries and were dropped as soon as the more experienced players got fit because, as you may have noticed, results were pretty poor.

It does no harm to make a young player have to battle to get into the senior squad. Bannan has shown he has the talent and application to do so (his approach reminds me a bit of Gabby 2 or 3 seasons ago). Albrighton may be faltering and others like Delfouneso seem to be fading a bit.

Whatever, it's a bit foolish to criticise MON for his approach to young players when he created a squad partly based around talented young English stars who were very exciting to watch - so much so that two of them were snapped up by top 4 clubs.

I'm hardly a MON fan but you can't blame him for not playing Bannan as I don't think he was ready.

Houllier played him last year, but only because he had to. He showed promise but was not quite there yet.

McLeish is playing him now because he is now ready - and proving it by his form on the pitch.

It does no harm to make a young player have to battle to get into the senior squad. Bannan has shown he has the talent and application to do so (his approach reminds me a bit of Gabby 2 or 3 seasons ago). Albrighton may be faltering and others like Delfouneso seem to be fading a bit.

What i dont understand is why MoN was more than willing to throw the lot of them in at the deep end in Moscow - a game that our most seasoned old timers would have found intimidating/tough. What was he expecting? To me it was a way of MoN being able to write alot of these youngsters off as not good enough and he was hoping that performance would justify it. A way of saying to Randy 'look, ive put the kids in a big game, they couldnt handle it, so im gonna need 20 million more of your yankee dollar to buy a shitload of mediocre squad players to replace them'

Perhaps a little exagerrated but i wouldnt be surprised.

Round and round it goes. People making the same points over and over.

Indeed!

Why does nearly every player thread on VT heavily feature how good or crap MON/GH/AM was/is?

:bang:

...yep, same points going round and round. over and over again.

:P

On Bannan, I wasn't as impressed as some by his performances under GH. He had a lot of work to do IMO. He still does to be a top player, but is improving rapidly with every game. His confidence is seemingly sky high, which is great for such a young lad.

That interview a couple of pages back was a good read, too.

MON was good for some youngers (Young/ Gabby/ Milner etc) but, in my memory, there were a LOT of occasions when he could have brought on Albrighton/ Bannan/ Delph

Take for example Albrighton; he played him in a FA cup against Brighton. Albrighton played brilliantly, but then got injured and didn’t come back to March; you can’t play someone when they are out can you?

I'll admit that's a fair example, but surely you can't disagree with the amount of times in games that we were winning, losing or drawing and we saw the same tried and tested substitution Sidwell or Heskey coming on in the late stages.

I was a MON fan, but it felt like he wanted to chose the 'obvious' or 'easy' option in most of his games. Even if we were winning, he rarely took a chance on one of the youngsters.

Hmmm...MON good with Young, Gabby, Milner?

So that's not such a bad track record, is it?

Whatever, it's a bit foolish to criticise MON for his approach to young players when he created a squad partly based around talented young English stars who were very exciting to watch - so much so that two of them were snapped up by top 4 clubs.

Gabby, I will give him, but Young & Milner weren't exactly 18 year olds, fresh out the academy, when he arrived. They had already gained experience in the Premier League before they came to Villa.

I only cited their names to prove that I wasn't being completely 'anti-MON'. As I've said, I was a MON fan. But he rarely took risks and I'm sure many people who frequently watched us, during his time in charge, would agree that we knew which substitutions were coming.

The fact that 2 of our 'young stars', as you call them, were snapped up by top 4 clubs would surely mean that there was enough experience/ talent in the side to let a few younger youngsters have a run out more frequently than they did?

Rumours persist that he was forcibly stunted at growth to prevent him growing to a bulkier size, as it just wouldn't have been fair on the rest of the world's footballers.

He also doesn't like haggis; he prefers to rip the heart straight out of a sheep with his bare hands and devour it whole.

His Irn-Bru is actually made from smelted iron.

He can only be killed by decapitation, and carries a Toledo Salamanca in his kitbag.

I agree with people saying this is just going round in circles. I think my full quote did deal with the point about giving very young inexperienced players game time.

But we might just conclude we don't agree and return this thread to what it is meant to be about - Barry Bannan

Rumours persist that he was forcibly stunted at growth to prevent him growing to a bulkier size, as it just wouldn't have been fair on the rest of the world's footballers.

He also doesn't like haggis; he prefers to rip the heart straight out of a sheep with his bare hands and devour it whole.

His Irn-Bru is actually made from smelted iron.

He can only be killed by decapitation, and carries a Toledo Salamanca in his kitbag.

He's made in Scotland. FROM GIRDERS!

I'm hardly a MON fan but you can't blame him for not playing Bannan as I don't think he was ready.

thats true. But MON did want to sell him before he left and if was still in charge he would have dispensed with him to Blackpool