Barry Bannan

villianusa

Barry is good in possession but its his defensive work off the ball where he goes missing. In the premier league when you play with two forwards and two widemen you need a central midfield pair that know how to protect their back four. In home games it might make sense to start him against the technicially weaker teams, but I would prefer Pires to Bannan as Pires rarely gives the ball away Bannan still does that overplaying it thing that you can't afford to do when playing central midfield. Loan is the best thing for him, for now. Needs game time and we can't really afford to take risks now with team selection.

You the man Philosopher - spot on again

Hope he gets some starts for Leeds soon though

• 1 month later...

Leeds seem to be saying the same thing we are though, sweet delivery and left foot but doesn't offer much else.

Barry really needs to strengthen other aspects of his game, else I don't see him being good enough for us unfortunately. I hope he does he vision and passing ability is top draw.

I think he'll work best in a 3 man central midfield.

Not sure he's best as the advanced player e.g. in the hole but maybe as the inbetween one like Alonso to get the passing moves going and keep our wide players in the game?

I'm sort of thinking like the classic 3 man central midfield Liverpool had that wiped the floor with us 5-0 at Anfield a few seasons ago. Mascherano holding, Alonso dropping deep and picking up the ball and laying it on to Gerrard just off the striker.

Not sure he's best as the advanced player e.g. in the hole but maybe as the inbetween one like Alonso to get the passing moves going and keep our wide players in the game?

I'm sort of thinking like the classic 3 man central midfield Liverpool had that wiped the floor with us 5-0 at Anfield a few seasons ago. Mascherano holding, Alonso dropping deep and picking up the ball and laying it on to Gerrard just off the striker.

Yep The Alonso role is where I'd like him to play for us. His passing and drive is fantastic - I think he can become a huge player for us - but as the otehrs say - i think It'd need to be in a 451 with a lot of protection- but I think he's good enough to step up.

Think infront of two decent midfielders in a midfield 3 he'd do fine, especially if the 2 were decent defensively minded (with one a standout DM)

NRC-Makoun

--Bannan

wouldnt be too bad just a bit lightweight,

If we could find a way to accommodate Bannan and Makoun in the same midfield together, we would create a zillion chances. Both have excellent vision and do quick ball brilliantly. It's just a question of whether our DM is good enough so that we don't concede a zillion goals as well imo.

I like the idea of that, though I think you'd have to play NRC as a dedicated anchor man, or Petrov perhaps.

In fairness to Bannan, he has rarely, if ever, been given the chance to perform in a really solid midfield. Most of his games have come alongside Hogg, Clark, Bradley or Pires.

Barry might not be first team, but we shouldnt get rid of him. He's a quality player to bring in if need be. Fantastic squad player.

Just because he's not first team does not mean he should be shipped out.

Barry might not be first team, but we shouldnt get rid of him. He's a quality player to bring in if need be. Fantastic squad player.

Just because he's not first team does not mean he should be shipped out.

+1

I'd like to think we could rotate anyway, Bannan has a part to play at Villa and I hope we don't sell him..

Yep The Alonso role is where I'd like him to play for us. His passing and drive is fantastic - I think he can become a huge player for us - but as the otehrs say - i think It'd need to be in a 451 with a lot of protection- but I think he's good enough to step up.

I agree with this. The Alonso role ("playmaker") would suit Barry's game. Unfortunately, it is also the role that seems to suit Makoun and Delph?

I don't see Barry as an attacking CM'er. I think he would get lost in the hustle and bustle in that role. He needs time to get his head up and play football.

I could possibly see him playing wide left if we want a left midfielder as opposed to a "winger" in some games. Although this would require a change in playing style.