Barry Bannan

villianusa

just simply not good enough for us, it's as simple as that

This baffles me.. again what makes you say this? Even today when the whole team was shit, Bannan was the bright spark and stood out for me.

he's just not premier league quality, he was awful today, as was the whole midfield

Bannan was the only player who actually made an impact for us, he was all over the pitch and practically taking on the whole city team such were his lack of options at times.

He made some poor decisions but that was generally due to lack of support.

I genuinly don't know what some people saw.

he's the same age as delph and is nowhere near as good as him

different player

bannan is more than useful, at least he likes to have a look round before passing the ball, better than petrov and NRC IMO, doesnt play enough

best player in a villa shirt by miles tonight

then why is Bannan playing centre midfield and Delph shifted to full back.

Best player tonight in a sea of mediocrity

then why is Bannan playing centre midfield and Delph shifted to full back.

Best player tonight in a sea of mediocrity

Delph has more experience at LB. More physical.

Bannan is still a huge potential. I said earlier in the thread that I hoped his lack of height and size wouldn't effect his potential but that boy Silva is the same size....

Needed someone like Young to play off and to or NRC to let him play a little and actually make the passes Petrov couldn't.

Was stuck in a weird position and seemed to always have concerns over his defensive/positioning responsibilities.

Felt really sorry for him as he worked his socks off and tried to make the game run in an incisive fashion.

Hopefully he can play some more and we can allow him a little more time nearer the edge of the opposition box.

I think BB tried hard last night, perhaps a little more than others. At times he was all over the place and you certainly cannot fault his effort. However, a lot of his passes where wayward. In part this might be down to poor movement from others, but at times he was also a bit too clever for his own good (very similiar to Young for most of the season). Either way its too soon to tell if he is 'gonna make it'. He has a bunch of talent and will probably improve by playing more. I think he should be given a chance to show his worth alongside 'our best 11', e.g. with NRC behind him and Young infront. And preferrably against teams that are harder to break down, teams that don't enjoy possession.

I thought he was poor last night BUT that was primarily because he was playing with nothing around him - Bradley and Stan were both deep, Heskey was miles away and there was no proper width. Tough night.

Barry is a proper footballer IMO but you have to build your team around his style of play.

However, for me, he sits behind Makoun and Delph and the latter in particular, who can do what Barry does but also has drive and can carry the football and a bit more physicality. I think we are potentially overstocked with playmakers.

Bannan was superb last night,

His willingess to actually move out of his postional area (as it was occupied with an opposition player) was superb, he found passing lanes well, and when he got the ball he always knew what he was going to do with the ball before he got it (higher level of thinking).

He looked to keep possession simple when it was on and found more difficult balls when needed too, so his decision making was very good. His speed of play was excellent again, as he rarely got caught in possession. He runs with his head up always looking for the nice slip thru ball to the forwards.

Hes a terrier in hounding the defence, depsite some physical limitations. In addition to what I perceived to be an excellent work rate all over the pitch.

I like Bannan, I think hes a fantastic player, hes a footballer, hes not going to be a viera type player, but more of a scholes esque player (now im not comparing him to that level of ability, so dont get all excited!) in that hes going to want and get the ball (his teammates quite clearly trsut him with the ball. He can pull the strings from midfield, and be a wee midfield dynamo.

I think he can be a great asset in the way GED wants to play, of course hes not the finished article and believe that some time on loan at a prem club would help him develop, but I think weve got a gem on our hands here. He ticks all the boxes for me in a cultured, ball to feet, defense to offense link midfielder.