Barry Bannan

villianusa

maybe he doesnt want 1st team football at Blackburn which is a mess of a club. maybe he waiting to see if other offers

Which is fine. But then that's why I was disagreeing with

Shouldn't the fans abuse be distributed at certain players that don't want to move from the club cause they are happy playing in the reserves whilst picking up Hollywood wages?

Because at the moment Bannan is sitting in the reserves picking up pretty big wages for a player of his ability.

Praisedmambo just did his usual act of jumping on a negative post and being wrong.

They probably think it's greedy because they think there's no place there for him to fight for.  That Bannan's number; the highest amongst the bomb squad; should tell him enough even if the signings of Tonev & Bacuna didn't already, that his time at the club is at an end whether he stays and fights or not.  Basically that him staying is tantamount to sitting around the place picking up a wage.  That's my reading of their accusation of greed.  I can sympathise with it because; while I don't call it greedy myself (we did give him a contract afterall); I do happen to think he won't even get near the bench next season short of some seriously unforeseen (and temporary) circumstances rather than out of any effort on his part.

They probably think it's greedy because they think there's no place there for him to fight for.  That Bannan's number; the highest amongst the bomb squad; should tell him enough even if the signings of Tonev & Bacuna didn't already, that his time at the club is at an end whether he stays and fights or not.  Basically that him staying is tantamount to sitting around the place picking up a wage.  That's my reading of their accusation of greed.  I can sympathise with it because; while I don't call it greedy myself (we did give him a contract afterall); I do happen to think he won't even get near the bench next season short of some seriously unforeseen (and temporary) circumstances rather than out of any effort on his part.

Or, to play Devil's Advocate, honouring his contract until another party comes along to take it over. I've seen the "I have/I would take a pay cut" posts here but I know one thing, I'd only do it to go to a better company or one as good, not one that I thought could go tits up just after I joined.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see him in our shirt again because he isn't good enough but I don't view him with the same contempt I do Ireland.

He's a turd player that will be getting nowhere near the first team

Lambert knows this illustrated by the fact he was given such a high squad number

He needs to accept that he will never see first team action again and for the good of his career find a club at a lower level more suited to his abilities

Unless he's happy being part of the bomb squad which would not surprise me

I too don't blame him for not wanting to join Blackburn unless whatever cards he was looking at were stacked in his favour. Hope someone he is happy with comes on for him as I hope he has no future here. I assume playing is very important to him as his Scotland place could be at stake although assuming he can still swing his foot and make contact with a ball that should be enough to keep his name as first down on the sheet

Con's silence is deafening.

Maybe, just maybe, the bloody obvious has finally sunk in. None of the worlds top 10 clubs have come in for him and in fact the only club that has is one which survived relegation to League 1 on the last day of last season and pulled out of a deal to sign him because of an agent fee which in all likelihood wasn't more than £50k - £100k. Doesn't say much about how even this lowly team rate Bannan.

Con, if only you had listened to me 8 months ago you would have saved yourself all this embarrassment.

Despise the `Bum Squad` as much as you want to & most people do, but the bottom line in reality is that non of them have actually contractually done anything wrong either. All parties agreed the contracts & signed them accordingly.

I still feel that McGinger Nut & Houllier are getting off very lightly here because many posters are over looking the fact that they either signed these players or endorsed their new contracts.

I may be wrong but I do feel that most fans are just venting their spleen because they believe the current inability to move these malingerers * on (if that is the correct terminology?) is holding up the further investment & development of our team.

* NB - To clarify I do not class DB in this category (Malingerers) as I rate him highly as a proven goal scorer but obviously now just want him gone for the re-investment of any subsequent transfer funds generated.

Edited by villa-revolution

Despise the `Bum Squad` as much as you want to & most people do, but the bottom line in reality is that non of them have actually contractually done anything wrong either. All parties agreed the contracts & signed them accordingly.

I still feel that McGinger Nut & Houllier are getting off very lightly here because many posters are over looking the fact that they either signed these players or endorsed their new contracts.

I may be wrong but I do feel that most fans are just venting their spleen because they believe the current inability to move these malingerers * on (if that is the correct terminology?) is holding up the further investment & development of our team.

* NB - To clarify I do not class DB in this category (Malingerers) as I rate him highly as a proven goal scorer but obviously now just want him gone for the re-investment of any subsequent transfer funds generated.

I agree entirely that the damage done by Houllier and McLeish to the club was massive. They spent shitloads of money on players who can't now get anywhere near the first team and bought without any sense of how the players coming in would serve the long term development of the squad. I don't think any of the current "bomb squad" are malingerers. They were given contracts by the club for a specific length of time and wage. Anybody who doesn't understand why they are holding out to preserve their contract values probably hasn't ever been in a job or had financial commitments. 

Malingerer? Isnt he a Sri Lankan cricketer? :)

Malingerer? Isnt he a Sri Lankan cricketer? :)

ha ha Yes- Apparently he is on a 25yr contract  at  £100K p/w organised by McShit when he once opened the batting in a charity cricket match whilst holidaying on the Island.

The Sri Lankan Cricket Board have appealed for the introduction of DRS to try & shift him but Malinger keeps bowling no balls & recently turned down a move to Blackburn because his agent couldn't agree the fee. ;)  :)

I agree entirely that the damage done by Houllier and McLeish to the club was massive. They spent shitloads of money on players who can't now get anywhere near the first team and bought without any sense of how the players coming in would serve the long term development of the squad. I don't think any of the current "bomb squad" are malingerers. They were given contracts by the club for a specific length of time and wage. Anybody who doesn't understand why they are holding out to preserve their contract values probably hasn't ever been in a job or had financial commitments. 

An interesting view.

VR suggests that Houllier is getting off lightly, but then makes an exception of Darren Bent, Houllier's major signing. The only other signing of note for GH was Makoun, who clearly didn't want to hang around after GH left.

McLeish's bizarre signing was Hutton. Of the others, I don't think that too many were complaining about the arrival of Given, and Charlie looked okay at times last season, but if Lambert doesn't like someone, he certainly doesn't like them.

As those two went some way to clearing out the dross signed by the manager prior to GH, on the strength of this discussion, PL is clearly a failure in that department.

Con's silence is deafening.

Maybe, just maybe, the bloody obvious has finally sunk in. None of the worlds top 10 clubs have come in for him and in fact the only club that has is one which survived relegation to League 1 on the last day of last season and pulled out of a deal to sign him because of an agent fee which in all likelihood wasn't more than £50k - £100k. Doesn't say much about how even this lowly team rate Bannan.

Con, if only you had listened to me 8 months ago you would have saved yourself all this embarrassment.

Please don't tempt fate.

Ever so slightly off topic but who really gives a shit he got done for drink driving.

I would imagine that the vast majority of people on this board have driven a vehicle whilst being over the government imposed legal limit.

Get over it, if he'd killed someone whilst drink driving then yes, throw the book at him but climb down off the high horses guys.....

This seems to suggest you think drink driving is fine as long as nobody gets killed?

Where have i said that?

Nothing has changed. England haven't played Scotland yet.

I've come to think the fact we are selling Bannan just underlines how good Gardner, Carruthers and Grealish must be. We can't keep Bannan and give those three opportunities this year.

I've come to think the fact we are selling Bannan just underlines how good Gardner, Carruthers and Grealish must be. We can't keep Bannan and give those three opportunities this year.

All Hail the return of Con

For one moment there I thought you were missing in action & had fallen on your own heat maps & hoof charts.

How did you manage to avoid those 4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire? ;) (There were many pitfalls to negotiate)

So, it's England v Scotland eh that decides it is it Mr Con?

Have you been practicing Trolling the Scottish message boards in preparation & does that explain your recent absence here on VT?

Congratulations to you Con as you are now Trolling at International level.

ps -  How come you couldn't agree your Agents fee for `Wee Barry?` ;):)  (Explanation please!)

I think the subtle difference is not that "we can't keep" it's the fact that Lambert "doesn't want to keep".  I'm not sure it matters how good or not good the kids are, Lambert has still gone out and brought other midfielders and this surely shows he has no faith in Bannan even as an alternative to his signings or change in tactics during games.