Better Long Term Holding Midfielder Option- Petrov or NRC?

maqroll

Better Long Term Holding Midfielder Option- Petrov or NRC?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better Long Term Holding Midfielder Option- Petrov or NRC?

• Petrov
    • NRC

We won the league in a completely different era of football - the game has changed so much since then that it's not really the best idea to draw comparisons with our title winners back then.

I quite like NRC and can see what he offers the team but he just isn't as good as Petrov. All the good defensive central mids these days at the top level have good technical ability too (Makelele, Essien etc) and NRC's touch and passing ability aren't up to it.

We won the league in a completely different era of football - the game has changed so much since then that it's not really the best idea to draw comparisons with our title winners back then.

I quite like NRC and can see what he offers the team but he just isn't as good as Petrov. All the good defensive central mids these days at the top level have good technical ability too (Makelele, Essien etc) and NRC's touch and passing ability aren't up to it.

It isn't really NRC's passing that worries me, so much as his lack of a footballing brain. When he gets the ball his first thought is nearly always to burst forward 15 yards, head down, legs pumping until he runs straight into an opposition defender. Petrov is nowhere near as dynamic, but just retains possession and uses the ball far better than NRC ever will. Our whole game is based on lots of pace and energy, but with a lack of ingenuity. Replacing Petrov with NRC would just make things even worse. If we do replace Petrov, it needs to be for someone with a bit of extra skill and flair, not NRC.

It isn't really NRC's passing that worries me, so much as his lack of a footballing brain. When he gets the ball his first thought is nearly always to burst forward 15 yards, head down, legs pumping until he runs straight into an opposition defender. Petrov is nowhere near as dynamic, but just retains possession and uses the ball far better than NRC ever will. Our whole game is based on lots of pace and energy, but with a lack of ingenuity. Replacing Petrov with NRC would just make things even worse. If we do replace Petrov, it needs to be for someone with a bit of extra skill and flair, not NRC.

Why not play them together? NRC to do all the destructive work and Petrov to move the ball, which would free Milner (or his replacement) to get further forward and link with the striker(s).

I just hope MON gives NRC the chance he deserves.

I do agree with what Risso said about NRC replacing Petrov would make things worse, but wouldn't oppose to the idea of them playing together like kkr mentioned. As good as Jimmy was last season, I think he made Stan's job harder, he was forever vacating his position and wondering from wing to wing so Stan was left in the middle on his own, so maybe it'd be ideal to have someone alongside him to give him help and it'd allow Milner and others to run free.

I strongly believe people are perpetuating his lack of ability to justify or defend other decisions made by MON.

And you can believe that.

In my case it isn't true though, I just don't like the player at all. I was happy when we bought him, I thought he'd be useful for a while to come and grow as a player here. And he didn't. And he flaws gradually irked me to the point I decided he'd be the first to go in the midfield.

I strongly believe people are perpetuating his lack of ability to justify or defend other decisions made by MON.

In my case it isn't true though, I just don't like the player at all. I was happy when we bought him, I thought he'd be useful for a while to come and grow as a player here. And he didn't. And he flaws gradually irked me to the point I decided he'd be the first to go in the midfield.

I echo Chindies opinion. NRC is so frustrating to watch. Although everyone always points to the Liverpool game as an indication of his ability. Which in my opinion is totally false, yes he had a bosting game, but has had many worse games then good. He was a good prospect, obviously has never improved behind the scenes as MON would have hoped.

Quite frankly, Petrov is twice the player NRC, not only does he have the ability to break up play, he also has a football brain and can read the game. Petrov does so much to benefit the team, even if it's just going down and getting a free kick when we're under pressure, he does it so well and it gives us a breath of fresh air. NRC isn't capable of thinking that way IMO.

I would go along with most of that except Makelele when he was playing and Essien ain't just good they were/are amongst the worlds best at what they do.

.....its a bit like comparing ashley Young with Ronaldo.

I wouldn't replace Petrov with NRC I would play them together....Petrov does have the more footballing brain and he is a "pick pocket" rather than a ball winner.... but hey midfield is almost always villa fans point of debate.

I do agree with what Risso said about NRC replacing Petrov would make things worse, but wouldn't oppose to the idea of them playing together like kkr mentioned. As good as Jimmy was last season, I think he made Stan's job harder, he was forever vacating his position and wondering from wing to wing so Stan was left in the middle on his own, so maybe it'd be ideal to have someone alongside him to give him help and it'd allow Milner and others to run free.

...well spotted that man

spot on.

I don't doubt some of the adverse comments about Nigels individual skill have merit....its his effect on all the other performances in the team that impress me, as Barry says he gives us Balance....and allows the more gifted performers like Petrov the freedom to be released from the holding role.

I still find that a weak argument, especially when you consider the other variables which have plagued NRC's development at the club, which there is very many.

And you can't honestly say NRC hasn't been effective during his time at Villa, or equally, he has played in his natural position for a consistent period of time.

NRC has stated many times he has the appetite to learn his defensive duties and become master of that position. You need playing time to develop and augment your talents, he has had very little time to do so.

Although this response is quite late.. my opinion of NRC was that he personally thinks (from interviews and whatnot) he can do more than just hold. I actually went to the Bolton game and he was fantastic in that role, and I believe more suited to it in the more 'in yer face' games... which was highlighted to me when Petrov was shoe-horned back in against Burnley and we played diabolically in terms of getting stuck in and winning the ball back. Maybe if O'Neill was to rotate them both in terms of who we were actually playing it would prove successful - but then again, when will he ever drop Petrov? I feel this will be our downfall next season as his legs will really have gone.

I agree with Jonno that Petrov will soon lose his legs and that is a very worrying thing as he is MON's first name on the teamsheet. NRC is also not the longterm solution especially if he is sold. He won't figure at all next year if he refuses a move to run down his contract so he gets more of a pay packet next year. It is a worring position as Delph was brought as a more attacking player and so is Milner. Bannan is too lightweight and Osborne is awful. There is only one player for it... Salifou!!

If NRC is the long term solution then we're in big trouble.

Lets see where NRC ends up shall we, i'd be very surprised if he ever plays for a club better than us.

Whereas Stan would walk into Chelski or Manure in your mind??

Lets see where NRC ends up shall we, i'd be very surprised if he ever plays for a club better than us.

Well I didn't sat that. However petrov is captain of our teammand I doubt NRC will ever become captain or such a regular player for a team as good as or better than us

In the whole, Petrov can give more to the team.

However, when we are winning and the opposing team is putting us under pressure, especially in the last minutes, NRC is the right option.

Put him in the last 20 minutes (when you are winning of course) so Petrov can rest a bit, and we have more muscles in the pitch.

As simple as that.

Well I didn't sat that. However petrov is captain of our teammand I doubt NRC will ever become captain or such a regular player for a team as good as or better than us

I thought your point was that NRC would never play at a better standard. My point was neither would Stan. Your response was to then argue that Stan is our captain????

This proves nothing except for where MON's preference lies. We all know MON's preference and the debate is, I suppose, whether MON is right or wrong in our eyes.