Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the price is right (20-25 million) am all for selling him if he wants out.

Who will we get though? Players outside Villa won't be impressed seeing us sell our top players year after year.

Bit gutted, hope we tell Liverpool to Jog on and keep him for another year & sell then if he still wants out.

I really hope the board stand firm with Downing and if sell, only sell him to a club playing in the Champions League. Still try and get £20m+ for him if so as well. It getting harder and more expensive to replace players like him and Young.

I'm not convinced Liverpool will be the force all their dilusional fans think they will be next season. 5th-8th in my opinion.

Funny how Liverpool fans where trying to say Henderson wasn't £20mil as Ngog was included in the fee but it turns out he wasn't

I can not belive they think they can pay £35mil for Carrol ,£20mil for Henderson they low ball us on Downing.

The Carroll and Henderson figures were agreed transfer fees, not opening offers which for all we know could have been as low as £20m and £10m, respectively.

Liverpool have every right to offer £15m for Downing. Villa have as much right to say 'thanks, but no thanks' or, as is commonly used, 'jog on'.

If someone offered me less than my car was worth (when I didn't really want to sell it for another year anyway), I'd laugh it off or ignore it, not get upset about it.

Apart from Cahill (for completely different reasons - he was young and the manager didn't rate him, even if we did), the board has been firm and struck a good deal for all the players we have sold. Barry, Milner (I was really pleased with Ireland at the time) and Young. I think we are in a strong position to hold out for a good price, Downing will be 27 this month and 29 the summer after his contract runs out. For a winger, that will be pretty old. We could easily hold out for 25m.

We don't need to sell for less though. He needs to maintain his form to make the England squad for the Euros, so he won't start to play poorly for us. He is barely in the national team now. It is much easier to force a club to sell when the player has one year left on their contract.

**** them then. Let them keep him and lose him for free when his contract expires.

He doesn't want to be there, and he really isn't worth anything like £15m anyway, so **** going over that.

hahaha the villans are upset with our offer for Downing

So, let me ge this straight. Way, way back in the annals of time, Rafa Benitez tried to buy Gareth Barry. Gareth Barry wanted to move to Liverpool. Everything was going swimmingly until Villa decided that because it was Liverpool and not Tranmere they could arbitrarily hike up the fee to nearly double what Liverpool were willing to offer and were insulted when Liverpool refused to pay it. This was followed by some seriously bitchy carry on by both sides and ended with Gareth Barry going to Man City for less than Liverpool were willing to pay the year before. This, apparently, was Liverpool's fault and not in the least bit hubris.

And here we are in 2011, a player in the final year of his contract who has been seen posing with a Liverpool scarf (faked, clearly), an offer of £15m has gone in and how do Villa respond? By suggesting £20 million is closer to the mark. Now, I was disappointed when I heard the amounts of money being bandied about for Downing, it seemed a lot of money for a player in his final year and within whom no other side had so far expressed an interest. However, at this point its gone beyond mind-boggling. Are Villa just going to piss their owners money away to spite Liverpool for a second time? No doubt when Downing heads off to Man City next year for £8 million, that will be Liverpool's fault for unsettling their player as well.

Well the 'villans' can go **** themselves. Seriously deluded bunch of whoppers, probably think he's worth more than £20m when he's hardly worth half that. Then again, the last time I looked they were talking about Villa having the same champions league hopes as Liverpool, so perhaps we're talking £30m+ for Downing instead.

Seriously, a right bunch of idiots.

Villa are one of the stingiest clubs ever, complaining about £15m for Downing? What has the world came to? Nzogbia would be less even though it seems as though that ship has sailed.

Have they started a petition yet?

Villa, Spurs, West Ham fans are just on another cloud. Same cloud as that joker Oyston

They won't get an offer from anyone else in my opinion, so the best thing to do would be to sit tight, now that it's public, and wait for Downing to push from his side.

Does he have the same agent as Gerrard? I'm sure i've heard that somewhere. If so i think this will be all part of the plan.

we will sell downing for £17-20m . There is no way we will keep hold of him for another year. We need the money we are a selling club

where is all that from TRS-T? a lot of that needs to be set straight.

This one especially, so much idiocy and incorrect statements.

So, let me ge this straight. Way, way back in the annals of time, Rafa Benitez tried to buy Gareth Barry. Gareth Barry wanted to move to Liverpool. Everything was going swimmingly until Villa decided that because it was Liverpool and not Tranmere they could arbitrarily hike up the fee to nearly double what Liverpool were willing to offer and were insulted when Liverpool refused to pay it. This was followed by some seriously bitchy carry on by both sides and ended with Gareth Barry going to Man City for less than Liverpool were willing to pay the year before. This, apparently, was Liverpool's fault and not in the least bit hubris.

And here we are in 2011, a player in the final year of his contract who has been seen posing with a Liverpool scarf (faked, clearly), an offer of £15m has gone in and how do Villa respond? By suggesting £20 million is closer to the mark. Now, I was disappointed when I heard the amounts of money being bandied about for Downing, it seemed a lot of money for a player in his final year and within whom no other side had so far expressed an interest. However, at this point its gone beyond mind-boggling. Are Villa just going to piss their owners money away to spite Liverpool for a second time? No doubt when Downing heads off to Man City next year for £8 million, that will be Liverpool's fault for unsettling their player as well.

two years left you stupid scouse ****. two.

Gareth Barry went for less than Liverpool were willing to pay because Liverpool were only willing to pay it when there was 2 years left on his contract, not one.

And if they want to talk about pissing money away, how about £55m on two entirely average, young and unproven English players?

Pay what we want or **** off.

**** them then. Let them keep him and lose him for free when his contract expires.

He doesn't want to be there, and he really isn't worth anything like £15m anyway, so **** going over that.

hahaha the villans are upset with our offer for Downing

Well the 'villans' can go **** themselves. Seriously deluded bunch of whoppers, probably think he's worth more than £20m when he's hardly worth half that. Then again, the last time I looked they were talking about Villa having the same champions league hopes as Liverpool, so perhaps we're talking £30m+ for Downing instead.

Seriously, a right bunch of idiots.

Villa are one of the stingiest clubs ever, complaining about £15m for Downing? What has the world came to? Nzogbia would be less even though it seems as though that ship has sailed.

Have they started a petition yet?

Villa, Spurs, West Ham fans are just on another cloud. Same cloud as that joker Oyston

They won't get an offer from anyone else in my opinion, so the best thing to do would be to sit tight, now that it's public, and wait for Downing to push from his side.

Does he have the same agent as Gerrard? I'm sure i've heard that somewhere. If so i think this will be all part of the plan.

Just proves scousers are idiots, lovin the scouser math that downing will goto man city for 8 mill after they compared it to barry after city paid us 6 million more a year later than they offered the year before, **** retard. n 'the plan'...yeah right now Gerard is sitting in a darkened room stroking a white cat on the arm of his chair 'hmmmm yes soon my evil plan will come to fruition, 1st I planted the seed of fakin a pic of downing with a liverpool scarf n once the photo of him with a perm n a tash while wearing a shellsuit clutching wheel trims goes out he's all ours' mwuhahahaha..........**** divs.

Yet again the idiots fail to grasp one simple thing. We don't want to sell him, therefore we will not offer them a cut-rate deal and will only sell him if the amount offered outweighs the cost of losing him.

When I see posts like that from clearings in the woods living off the dole, it almost makes me want to go back to the old days of the terraces y'know when you could stand to watch a game. ;)

£20mil and we'll sell you clearings in the woods - you paid that for 'potential' in Henderson.

£20mil and we'll sell you clearings in the woods - you paid that for 'potential' in Henderson.

And 35m for a slow lump of a striker therefore AM first prediction of 50m is fair and accurate and that is what we should tell them!!

In fact I would add another 5m and take 200 quid of 25,000 season tickets this year to make up for the tosh they will have to watch? So that's 55m you bunch of dole dwelling inbred twunts.

I would love for the club to say 'No Stewart, you're our player, we don't want or need to sell you, you will play out the contract that you're paid very handsomely for'.

These excuses of 'I want to be in a team that wins things and be succesful in my career' just piss me off! Well don't we all Stew! Perhaps if you were a better player you'd have won things already! Stop moaning, be happy with what you've got (which let's face it is more than most of us will earn in two lifetimes). You're good, but you ain't that good so deal with it!

Anyway, my God man you play for the mighty VILLA! I'd cut off my lefty just for the crowd to chant my name in one game! Forget about the money, you're sorted for life, do something that will make everyone happy. Nobody likes someone who craps on those around them for personal gain. Be original, be one of the few footballers who say 'f**k it, I'm going to stay and play for the club who've given me this chance and I'm going to be loved by the fans because of it'. Do that and I'll make you a medal you can look at when you're retired!

*suddenly wakes up, smells the coffee and realises that Downing will go for £19m and our great club will move on, as always*

UP THE VILLA

Â