Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Unless the club making the offer goes public with it (cheap tactic imo) why would the player even know about it?

Offer is made

Rejected

I doubt Randy would try to unsettle his own player who he wants to stay but telling him that a club has tried to buy him but he said no.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the club making the offer goes public with it (cheap tactic imo) why would the player even know about it?

In the case of Liverpool, no doubt Gerrard will be busy tapping up Downing during England training/duty.

Offer is made

Rejected

I doubt Randy would try to unsettle his own player who he wants to stay but telling him that a club has tried to buy him but he said no.

The dilemma is Villa don't know what the player's agent knows.

If the club fail to inform the player of a serious offer, they risk unsettling him further if he finds out about it anyway.

In the case of Liverpool, no doubt Gerrard will be busy tapping up Downing during England training/duty.

If he was there, I'm sure he would be.

You're assuming that Downing wants to go to Liverpool.

TBF to Redman, I don't think he is assuming anything. He is merely saying that ANY club that might be interested in signing DJ could see the managerless position at Villa as an opportune time to make an approach.

FWIW I think he is wrong and doesn't really understand our club or our owner (but why should he as he's not a Villa fan). RL will definitely not sell at the minute and certainly not at the price that is being mooted.

As for Arsenal, I think DJ is just the type of player that they need, alongside a strong DCM and a strong CB. They haven't had proper width since the departure of our beloved Bobby. Walcott can provide it but he is inconsistent at best. Downing would be a great buy for them and could play either side. Not that I want him to go.

I'm assuming Liverpool are interested.

Quite possibly, but let's be honest Liverpool are now a top 6 team at best. No CL, plenty of superior teams in the Prem, even if he wanted to move on and the Chairman would sell him without a new Manager's say so (0% chance of that), I'd assume that he would want to make a genuine step up from Villa?

Quite possibly, but let's be honest Liverpool are now a top 6 team at best. No CL, plenty of superior teams in the Prem, even if he wanted to move on and the Chairman would sell him without a new Manager's say so (0% chance of that), I'd assume that he would want to make a genuine step up from Villa?

I suppose you could have made the same point about City chasing Milner last summer or Barry the year before.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Liverpool would be a considerable step up from Villa.

It hurts to say it but thats the cold hard truth.

Not on the basis of the last two seasons finishes mate.

Not really, Man City will win the league within the next 3 and CL within 5 seasons. Liverpool will not. Probably not in mine or your life time again.

What you wasting your time on VillaTalk for? Get yourself down the bookies mate.

Mate, you're arguing with yourself. Very little of anything you just posted has anything to do with me. You really are struggling here.

Forget Aston Villa and Liverpool. Think Club A and Club B. Be objective. Just try.

Club A has no manager and a player refusing to sign a new contract. Do you not understand how Club B could sense an opportunity there?

If there isn't one, then there isn't one. But there's only one way Club B will find out, isn't there?

Now just get your head around that very basic logic and leave me alone will you. :D

ahh sigh sadly you still can't hold true to your word can you.

Once again I'm perfectly capable of understanding your little club A club B concept.

I get your logic. What you don't seem to get is that if the player in question has 2 years remaining on his contract there is no immediate concern for the Club A and certainly no logical reason for them to accept an offer from Club B when no manager is place.

There is nothing wrong with Club B lodging a B and no reason for Club A not to tell Club B to piss off as I believe we would do to Liverpool in such an example.

As for leaving you alone, as long as you continue to post rubbish along these lines I will continue to challange you on it. If you don't like it stop replying to my posts or even better stop suggesting we might be tempted to sell a player when we have no manager in place. Simple really.

I suppose you could have made the same point about City chasing Milner last summer or Barry the year before.

Sorry matey, it has been clear for a number of seasons what trajectory Citeh were on and I don't blame Barry or Milner for going there. Liverpool are not even in the same league in terms of ambition, prospects, finance or ability.

Liverpool have more chance of making the CL than we do, end of.

I'd say we both have the same chance, NONE

Downing said he wants to play in the Champions League. He didnt say he wanted to play for a team that MIGHT get in it one day

Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City are going to take some shifting from the top 4. And Liverpool have shown nothing to suggest they have "it" anymore than we do in my humble opinion. Suarez looks good in fits and starts (crap against us), but you know he'll be poached by one of the bigger teams if he keeps improving. No different to our best players will be.

But convince me if you can.

Liverpool have more chance of making the CL than we do, end of.

Oh, didn't realise it was one of those 'end of' chats. I'll shut up then :winkold:

Seriously though, as much as we are not CL challengers I don't see the dippers getting close either, which was point about making a step up.

Â