Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Like I said earlier in the thread, you could make similar arguments for why Milner and Barry weren't stepping up by moving to City.

Not the same at all. With the unlimited funds City could provide and how much they were spending it was obvious to everybody that City would get CL. After all we had already watched it happen with Chelski recently.

As I have said it would be a poor bet to place on Liverpool doing the same in the next few seasons.

Edit - It was also equally obvious that one of the 'old big four' would have to make way. That team has proven to be Liverpool.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ithink we have to accept that Liverpool are still are bigger attraction then the Villa. Whether it is justified is another matter, but they have many ex players who are now pundits on TV and Radio who keep plugging their name amongst the top teams in the premiership when they are currently not in that bracket. You only have to listen to Mickey Quinn on Talkscouse he is forever plugging them for a tilt at the title next season.

If Downing decides to go there it will strengthen them and weaken us, for how long depends on who we sign afterwards.

Like I said earlier in the thread, you could make similar arguments for why Milner and Barry weren't stepping up by moving to City.

Not the same at all. With the unlimited funds City could provide and how much they were spending it was obvious to everybody that City would get CL. After all we had already watched it happen with Chelski recently.

As I have said it would be a poor bet to place on Liverpool doing the same in the next few seasons.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Money will be spent.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Money will be spent.

I'm sure it will and it certainly needs to be judging by that final day display. Your two best players - Gerard and Carragher - have now seen their best days and the squad requires some serious restructuring. Outside of the CL and based in the NW your revenues will go backwards and it will be even harder to keep up with the current top 4.

NESV (I think that's your owners name) are business people and are looking for a return. I'm not sure how they are going to achieve this?

Abramovich, Mansour and even, to a lesser extent, Lerner are not looking at the model in this way. It is more of a hobby for those three.

The interesting thing for me is how/when these FIFA regulations bite. The ungeared sides with good academies - Arsenal are probably the prime model - should then move into pole position??

I wouldn't be so sure.

Money will be spent.

I'm sure it will but your back in the real world now with the rest of us. You will be able to buy whomever Utd/Chelsea/Man City allow you to buy. Man City and Chelsea can pay the selling club more and offer more wages and Man Utd will just show them the trophy cabinet, you can no longer compete with them for players without the attraction of Champions League.

They will also poach whomever they please from your squad and there will be diddly squat you can do about it.

Unfortunately once you slip out of the top 4 this is the reality of the Premiership.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Money will be spent.

I'm sure it will and it certainly needs to be judging by that final day display. Your two best players - Gerard and Carragher - have now seen their best days and the squad requires some serious restructuring. Outside of the CL and based in the NW your revenues will go backwards and it will be even harder to keep up with the current top 4.

NESV (I think that's your owners name) are business people and are looking for a return. I'm not sure how they are going to achieve this?

Abramovich, Mansour and even, to a lesser extent, Lerner are not looking at the model in this way. It is more of a hobby for those three.

The interesting thing for me is how/when these FIFA regulations bite. The ungeared sides with good academies - Arsenal are probably the prime model - should then move into pole position??

I wouldn't read too much into that final day display. Half the squad was injured by that point plus nothing to play for (except outside chance of Europa League).

Commercially, Liverpool is second only to Man U. But unlike them, we are debt-free without the crippling interest payments.

Matchday and CL revenue are the only areas of weakness.

FSG are looking for a return but over the long-term. The plan is to increase revenue through success. That means CL qualification is critical so if they have to spend their way back into it, it looks like they will.

I wouldn't read too much into that final day display. Half the squad was injured by that point plus nothing to play for (except outside chance of Europa League).

I'm afraid we had even less to play for!

Commercially, Liverpool is second only to Man U. But unlike them, we are debt-free without the crippling interest payments.

But much of your commercial revenues will be predicated on CL qualification. Sponsors won't pay as much if you are not there and shirt sales will drop materially if the Asians aren't seeing Stevie G against Milan etc. on a Wednesday night.

FSG are looking for a return but over the long-term. The plan is to increase revenue through success. That means CL qualification is critical so if they have to spend their way back into it, it looks like they will.

Football is a very funny business though. You make more money and you pay you more out in wages. Barca are by far the best team in the world and have the largest revenues but I don't see any profits there. I think your owners are in for a bit of a shock over the next few years. I would love to see their business plan. Just my personal opinion.

A bit OT anyway as we are supposed to be talking about DJ. I can't see him moving to Plop this summer unless you are absolutely prepared to pay a stupid price. Apart from the fact that he will not be getting European Football he would also risk getting his house broken in to and his cinema system being half inched! :winkold:

I'm afraid we had even less to play for!

The game had that end-of-the-season feel about it.

But much of your commercial revenues will be predicated on CL qualification. Sponsors won't pay as much if you are not there and shirt sales will drop materially if the Asians aren't seeing Stevie G against Milan etc. on a Wednesday night.

That's true. Which is why it's critical to get back there ASAP.

Football is a very funny business though. You make more money and you pay you more out in wages. Barca are by far the best team in the world and have the largest revenues but I don't see any profits there. I think your owners are in for a bit of a shock over the next few years. I would love to see their business plan. Just my personal opinion.

I'm 100% sure FSG have done their homework. I know FFP was a big factor in the takeover. We were fourth from bottom when they took over so they weren't phased by the prospect of no CL.

A bit OT anyway as we are supposed to be talking about DJ. I can't see him moving to Plop this summer unless you are absolutely prepared to pay a stupid price. Apart from the fact that he will not be getting European Football he would also risk getting his house broken in to and his cinema system being half inched! :winkold:

I agree it will take a large bid to shift him. I think I'd rather walk away than pay what it will take to do business.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Money will be spent.

Two games before that you beat Fulham 5-2 away and it was a completely different story. The Liverpool hacks were having a field day; deluded and full of excuses. Villa had even less to play for and no manager on the sideline.

Try playing three-quarters of a season with half a squad injured. The young Villa side that went up to Anfield and lost three-nil being a prime example. A fully firing Villa side would have battered your lot like they did the year before. Please, please, please, no excuses, Redman. You can't have it all ways.

A final point: Liverpool are not second commercially to Man Utd. They do currently have a large global appeal, though. This, naturally, decreases every year the club fails to make Europe. Such is modern football. The only way Liverpool will be in a position of real strength once more is if they are taken over by multi-billionaires. Then they will be able to outspend everyone on wages and win a few trophies - like they did when the Moores were bankrolling them. Ker-ching!

slightly worrying, but the guy who first broke the henderson deal yesterday is saying that downing is close to signing for them

ill be mightily **** pissed off if thats the case

Liverpool isn't in the champions league nor are they in the Europa league so why? I don't see Liverpool making champions league anytime soon, so why not stay at Villa? Then if a team in the champions league wants him, then go sign for them.

slightly worrying, but the guy who first broke the henderson deal yesterday is saying that downing is close to signing for them

ill be mightily **** pissed off if thats the case

You wont be the only one!! :angry:

Everyone has a price, and I would think Downing's would be abnormally high considering the circumstances. If someone wants to pay it, take the money and reinvest it. He had a nice season but is not exactly irreplaceable. That said, the new manager should be making these decisions.

Everyone has a price, and I would think Downing's would be abnormally high considering the circumstances. If someone wants to pay it, take the money and reinvest it. He had a nice season but is not exactly irreplaceable. That said, the new manager should be making these decisions.

anything above doubling our money and i'd probably be happy enough. if we ended up getting close to £50m for ash and downing it'd be great business. another £15-20m on sales and £30-40m from randy in and the new man has enough money to put a whole team together

anything above doubling our money and i'd probably be happy enough. if we ended up getting close to £50m for ash and downing it'd be great business. another £15-20m on sales and £30-40m from randy in and the new man has enough money to put a whole team together

That sounds like a plan!! :idea:

It certainly does, and may even be in Randy and the boards thinking. Lowering the wage bill whilst being able to allow a top manager (Carlo?) a real "Warchest" to spearhead a new era. Players who haven't gone stale on the club and all wanting to fight for the cause!

It certainly does, and may even be in Randy and the boards thinking. Lowering the wage bill whilst being able to allow a top manager (Carlo?) a real "Warchest" to spearhead a new era. Players who haven't gone stale on the club and all wanting to fight for the cause!

Like the thinking!! I would love this to happen now!! would really excite me if this was the case, £50m off downing and young, and all that cash to give to Carlo when he is appointed manager would equal my best day ever!!

Â