Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I can't see us getting big money for Downing. The only team who I thought would pay big money for him was Liverpool, but after buying Henderson, that ain't happening. Chelsea don't need him, Arsenal won't pay more then market value. Man U and City won't sign him. The only team that would sign him for 18-20mil is Spurs, but that only if they sell Modric or Bales.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see us getting big money for Downing. The only team who I thought would pay big money for him was Liverpool, but after buying Henderson, that ain't happening. Chelsea don't need him, Arsenal won't pay more then market value. Man U and City won't sign him. The only team that would sign him for 18-20mil is Spurs, but that only if they sell Modric or Bales.

Well surely he's staying then. 8)

Well surely he's staying then. 8)

^ If I was a religous man I would say a prayer for this.

Rumours around Anfield this morning are that they will sign Henderson by end of play today, and by the end of the week will have wrapped up deals for Enrique, Adam, Downing, Wickham and Jones.

With Suarez, Carroll and Kuyt as a front 3, and then Gerrard, Adam, Henderson and Meireles, it would be silly of Downing to think he'd be a first team regular there. Liverpool are building a decent squad by the sounds of things, but Downing needs to be playing every week if he wants to break into the England team as a regular starter.

Rumours around Anfield this morning are that they will sign Henderson by end of play today, and by the end of the week will have wrapped up deals for Enrique, Adam, Downing, Wickham and Jones.

With Suarez, Carroll and Kuyt as a front 3, and then Gerrard, Adam, Henderson and Meireles, it would be silly of Downing to think he'd be a first team regular there. Liverpool are building a decent squad by the sounds of things, but Downing needs to be playing every week if he wants to break into the England team as a regular starter.

James Milner needed regular first team football to break into the England team didn't he? Sadly I get the feeling it's all about the cash cash monies.

Downing would start every week IMO because they need width. I don't think he'll be going just yet though.

Downing wouldn't be the first player to commit career suicide by leaving Villa.

If he goes to liverpool for the money he's a fool, surely he just has to take one look at Milner to see this.

James Milner needed regular first team football to break into the England team didn't he? Sadly I get the feeling it's all about the cash cash monies.

How much will they pay him?

Im not sure on this, but i bet we prepared to offer Ashley just as much as anything they pay, for him to stop.

If Downing stops, then he becomes our highest payed player. Hes our player of the year, afterall.

Im wondering if all this is about Money rather than ambition, and not what he can get somewhere else, how much he can get out of us?

The Jordan Henderson deal has just messed up the market on British players for everyone IMO. There's no way a team could justify paying less than the Henderson fee for Downing. In reality Downing is a far superior player, and with all being equal easily worth 50% more than Henderson.

That said, you'd never be able to screw that much money out of 'Arry, so unless City come in for him after losing out on Sanchez, then the only other option would be Liverpool, which would depend on how much money they've got left in the kitty.

If the BinDippers bid high (circa 20m) its going to be difficult to turn that down, especially as Downing has effectively said he wants out

No point keeping an unhappy player

agreed. not even absurd on our part to ask for that as a minimum, the benchmark has been set by those **** mentalists at liverpool ( £35m Carroll, £20 mil Henderson )

:crylaugh: :crylaugh:

Looking at those figures for Carroll and Henderson, Downing has got to be valued in the region of £30 million. Liverpool's current recruitment process reminds me of O'Neill's - buying young, English talent. There's absolutely no way 'Pool will make the top four paying over the odds for such middling players.

Well if they pay 20m for Henderson then no way should they get Downing for any less than 30m (and no I don't think he's worth that).

I personally think that is wishful thinking on a massive scale man. We have a habit at the Villa of letting our players go on the cheap. Not that I think Downing will go on the cheap.

Henderson has/had four years left on his contract, Downing has two. Henderson is 20, Downing is 26. Some will argue that Downing has had the best season or his career to date, I would agree, and is nearing his peak. Henderson has also has the best season of his young career but he has plenty of time to develop into a much better player.

Henderson is a good young player but nowher near worth the 20 million they are seemingly will to pay. I don't think Downing will be going anywhere until the new man is in charge, he can make the decision.

I shall put the Ireland signing purely down to the fact that he was a major part of the Milner deal, giving Randy the benifit of the doubt. Any club that has it's chairman sign or pick player is rotten in my eyes.

I don't think he's all he's being cracked up to be. The season before last when the whole team was pulling their weight he was average. He shone in an underperforming team last season and all of a sudden he thinks he's ajern robben.

This guy needs to wind his neck in,he would still be up north eating lard sandwiches and playing in the championship if it wasn't for villa.

the season before last, his leg was broken....

he's among the best english wingers, as is ash and is one of the crown jewels in the villa squad. whether he's everything that the fans want him to be, or the best ever, is I suppose another question.

Let's hope he stays - been very good on the pitch, even though he's not been the smartest off it....

I don't think he's all he's being cracked up to be. The season before last when the whole team was pulling their weight he was average. He shone in an underperforming team last season and all of a sudden he thinks he's ajern robben.

This guy needs to wind his neck in,he would still be up north eating lard sandwiches and playing in the championship if it wasn't for villa.

I agree with this. We bought the arsehole when he had a broken leg, and this is how he shows he gratitude ?

I found an old copy of the Birmingham Mail today ( dated 12th May 2011), with an interview with Mr Downing saying how he hopes to sign a new deal, happy at the club, doesn't want to move, grateful for us sticking by him when he broke his leg etc etc.... - how quickly he has forgotten this !

Either he is influenced far too strongly by his agent or is just a plain and simple grade A tosspot.

Â