Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

You're assuming that Downing wants to go to Liverpool.

I'm assuming Liverpool are interested.

Quite possibly, but let's be honest Liverpool are now a top 6 team at best. No CL, plenty of superior teams in the Prem, even if he wanted to move on and the Chairman would sell him without a new Manager's say so (0% chance of that), I'd assume that he would want to make a genuine step up from Villa?

I suppose you could have made the same point about City chasing Milner last summer or Barry the year before.

Sorry matey, it has been clear for a number of seasons what trajectory Citeh were on and I don't blame Barry or Milner for going there. Liverpool are not even in the same league in terms of ambition, prospects, finance or ability.

That remains to be seen.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'I want to play in champions league/at highest level' is just an easy way to force a transfer.

Liverpool I'm afraid is a step up.

Downing is no great loss anyway. I'd take the money.

Quite possibly, but let's be honest Liverpool are now a top 6 team at best. No CL, plenty of superior teams in the Prem, even if he wanted to move on and the Chairman would sell him without a new Manager's say so (0% chance of that), I'd assume that he would want to make a genuine step up from Villa?

I suppose you could have made the same point about City chasing Milner last summer or Barry the year before.

Sorry matey, it has been clear for a number of seasons what trajectory Citeh were on and I don't blame Barry or Milner for going there. Liverpool are not even in the same league in terms of ambition, prospects, finance or ability.

That remains to be seen.

:crylaugh:

The 'I want to play in champions league/at highest level' is just an easy way to force a transfer.

I agree that Liverpool is a step up, but how on earth is Downing not a great loss!?!?

I agree that Liverpool is a step up, but how on earth is Downing not a great loss!?!?

I guess we all have different thoughts on him. I just think we could actually do better.

Blah, blah, blah... drivel, drivel, cobblers.

You might find some of the other forum members appreciate and welcome the views of an outsider.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Hell, set up a poll if you like. I'll be only to happy to disappear if I'm genuinely unwelcome.

I dont think Downings going anywhere. Hes been ill advised by his agent to startmouthing off about ambition etc etc to get him a better contract.

We hold all the cards on this one.

After the 12 monthes we have had, i doubt hes not the only one getting itchy feet, not knowing whom is going to be manager, and what his intentions will be.

I think its quite understandable, especially when you read that it is this uncertainty that persuaded Freidel to sign for Spurs, because he could not wait around any longer for an answer.....

Liverpool a step up? Only in the minds of Scouse pundits and the Cockney media. The cold facts are that the Lerner Trust has more money behind it than NESV. Any player leaving Villa for 'Pool will not be stepping up a level in a football sense, either. Liverpool are no where near being a top four team. Downing has plenty of experience of finishing in sixth place at Villa Park.

If Villa get the right manager in I expect an excellent season at Villa Park next year. As for Liverpool, they will collapse under the weight of deluded expectation and Kenny D will quit at the end of 2011-12.

Liverpool a step up? Only in the minds of Scouse pundits and the Cockney media. The cold facts are that the Lerner Trust has more money behind it than NESV. Any player leaving Villa for 'Pool will not be stepping up a level in a football sense, either. Liverpool are no where near being a top four team. Downing has plenty of experience of finishing in sixth place at Villa Park.

If Villa get the right manager in I expect an excellent season at Villa Park next year. As for Liverpool, they will collapse under the weight of deluded expectation and Kenny D will quit at the end of 2011-12.

They have the pedigree, the History, and are driven on by that.

Sometimes, its hard to see what ours is :lol:

That remains to be seen.

Selling your star man to Chelsea is evidence enough. Liverpool are a club that will finish somewhere between 5th and 9th next season.

The cold facts are that the Lerner Trust has more money behind it than NESV.

That isn't a fact though.

Have a little trawl around the net and see for yourself. Truth hurts, old son. You're owned by NESV and a basketball player. How very small time!

You're telling us all that Liverpool are on an upward curve yet you sold your very best player last season, lost as many games as Villa and were given a good old beating by us at Villa Park on the last day of the season. You've been reading too many delusional, positively spun posts written by Scouse hacks, my friend. (Tony Evans, Tony Barrett and the like do you guys no favours by whipping you up into an unrealistic frenzy.) And remember - our manager left us five days from the start of the season in absolute turmoil.

Looking at the form table from the end of last last season I'd be sticking my money on Villa. If "Handball" Suarez (scourge of the Dutch league) and Ten Pints Carroll are the signs that Liverpool mean business then, fantastic. A finish somewhere between 5th and 9th will be what you are getting.

They have the pedigree, the History, and are driven on by that.

Sometimes, its hard to see what ours is :lol:

Pedigree and history? Six trophies in their first eighty years of existence? Only becoming a winning club when they started paying their players higher wages than everyone else? Their "pedigree" is no different to Chelsea's.

Have a little trawl around the net and see for yourself. Truth hurts, old son. You're owned by NESV and a basketball player. How very small time!

You're telling us all that Liverpool are on an upward curve yet you sold your very best player last season, lost as many games as Villa and were given a good old beating by us at Villa Park on the last day of the season. You've been reading too many delusional, positively spun posts written by Scouse hacks, my friend. (Tony Evans, Tony Barrett and the like do you guys no favours by whipping you up into an unrealistic frenzy.) And remember - our manager left us five days from the start of the season in absolute turmoil.

Looking at the form table from the end of last last season I'd be sticking my money on Villa. If "Handball" Suarez (scourge of the Dutch league) and Ten Pints Carroll are the signs that Liverpool mean business then, fantastic. A finish somewhere between 5th and 9th will be what you are getting.

Trawl round the net? Are you kidding?

Mate, I've been following the daily narrative of the Liverpool ownership saga for the past 4 years. I know exactly who NESV (renamed FSG) are.

FSG are a sports management group of 18 partners some of whom are dollar billionaires, the rest are dollar multi-millionnaires. Most are financiers of some description. There's nothing small time about them.

Congratulations on your 1-0 win. You were the better team on the day. What else is there to say about it?

And if the form table since Kenny took over is an indicator (and I'm not saying it is) that's us comfortable in the top 4 at worst.

Liverpool have about the same chance as us for CL next season. That is next to none.

City/United/Chelsea will not finish out of the CL spots. The only weak spot is Arsenal and there will be 4 or 5 teams capable of pinching that spot. It would take a slip up form Arsenal and I certainly wouldn't be putting money on it being Liverpool as I think Tottenham are now in front of them. Thought they were mediocre last season for large parts.

The only way Liverpool at this moment in time could be seen as a step up from us would be if they are willing to pay more in wages. I would predict Liverpool and Villa to finish within 2 or 3 places of each other next season and neither will realistically qualify for CL so explain how that would be a major step up ?

Edit - For spiling

Mate, I've been following the daily narrative of the Liverpool ownership saga for the past 4 years. I know exactly who NESV (renamed FSG) are.

FSG are a sports management group of 18 partners some of whom are dollar billionaires, the rest are dollar multi-millionnaires. Most are financiers of some description. There's nothing small time about them.

Congratulations on your 1-0 win. You were the better team on the day. What else is there to say about it?

And if the form table since Kenny took over is an indicator (and I'm not saying it is) that's us comfortable in the top 4 at worst.

Aye, and if the form table since Gary Mac took the Villa reins is anything to go by, Villa would have won the league!

Liverpool have about the same chance as us for CL next season. That is next to none.

City/United/Chelsea will not finish out of the CL spots. The only weak spot is Arsenal and there will be 4 or 5 teams capable of pinching that spot. It would take a slip up form Arsenal and I certainly wouldn't be putting money on it being Liverpool as I think Tottenham are now in front of them. Thought they were mediocre last season for large parts.

The only way Liverpool at this moment in time could be seen as a step up from us would be if they are willing to pay more in wages. I would predict Liverpool and Villa to finish within 2 or 3 places of each other next season and neither will realistically qualify for CL so explain how that would be a major step up ?

Edit - For spiling

Like I said earlier in the thread, you could make similar arguments for why Milner and Barry weren't stepping up by moving to City.

Aye, and if the form table since Gary Mac took the Villa reins is anything to go by, Villa would have won the league!

So we agree it's meaningless then?

Â