Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I say if he doesn't sign the contract this summer, we should sell him while our position remain strong and he has 2 years left on his contract. The last thing we need is him staying and then wanting a move next summer, we had it for 3 season running now. Get rid this summer with Ashley and then start our rebuilding process with hopefully a young fresh manager like Coyle. The club needs stability.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will stay for now but not sign a new contract, do the "I am concentrating on my football" thing and then leave next summer. Young deserves his shot at United, but like Milner, Downing has only really had one good season here and starting to get in the England team...it is disappointing.

News of the World: Liverpool want to complete the £15m signing of Stewart Downing by the end of the week.

Still don't get why papers think we'd accept such a poor offer for him,,we have pretty much just lost 1 Winger so why would we let him go,especialy for the price,,personaly think its more Proof that papers don't know what there on about

If we have managed to get £20mil for Young with one year on his contract there is no way Downing with 2 years on his is going for £15mil.The price of English player's is crazy now, I said to my Liverpool supporting friend last night if Henderson and Jones are worth £20mil then every the other guys in the under 21's must be near the same he agreed he even said if Carrol is worth £35mil then so is Daniel Sturridge.

News of the World: Liverpool want to complete the £15m signing of Stewart Downing by the end of the week.

Im sure they do, they havent got a prayer for that price, especially seen as we don't have a manager.

It will be a disgrace if we let him go. I never minded ash going as I'd become tired of his constant whinging, he'll fit right in at utd. But to let downing go would be an admission that we've no ambition at all.

Somebody on talkSPORT (East Midlands correspondant?)

I met and had a chat with Stewart Downing last week in Ibiza. Polite, quiet, down-to-Earth and humble.

Why do this to us Stewart? Why? :cry:

I found an old copy of the Birmingham Mail today ( dated 12th May 2011), with an interview with Mr Downing saying how he hopes to sign a new deal, happy at the club, doesn't want to move, grateful for us sticking by him when he broke his leg etc etc.... - how quickly he has forgotten this !

Either he is influenced far too strongly by his agent or is just a plain and simple grade A tosspot.

Somebody on talkSPORT (East Midlands correspondant?)

I met and had a chat with Stewart Downing last week in Ibiza. Polite, quiet, down-to-Earth and humble.

Why do this to us Stewart? Why? :cry:

Because he has lost faith in us being able to compete for trophies and think he is good enough to play for a much more competitive side, earning more cash in the process. Can't say that I blame him. It's their job, the players rarely love the clubs they're at. I'm disappointed in him, but hey ho. He'll be off I'm sure...

Wouldnt want to be at Villa Park next year if I was Downing. It's going to be a horrible season right from the off and unless Mcleish can pull some kind of Gregorian revival out of the hat, then it's going to be a nasty atmosphere down at Villa Park.

got a sneaky feeling Spurs might come in for him, especially if Redknapp speaks to Walker!

15m and Walker should sort it

Well they wouldn't sell us to him and I meant they'd sign Downing for the reason of having Kyle Walker.

Awesome partnership, best right hand sided partnership in the Prem IMO.

This has really got me thinking now.

When Downing's agent met with Paul Faulkner, I wonder if he didn't say enough to convince him of staying (aka mid table at best).

The board has fed us with a bunch of lies.

Â