Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I still find it hard to believe anyone can become a professional footballer with one leg

Even at the age of 6, I've drilled into my nephew that you must always use your weak foot to make it stronger. Since doing so his left foot has come on a treat. It just baffles me how anyone can really be that one footed.

Very much this. I've been using both feet since I was little and I'm efficient with both now. Started out with simple exercises against a wall and just developed from there.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still find it hard to believe anyone can become a professional footballer with one leg

Even at the age of 6, I've drilled into my nephew that you must always use your weak foot to make it stronger. Since doing so his left foot has come on a treat. It just baffles me how anyone can really be that one footed.

Very much this. I've been using both feet since I was little and I'm efficient with both now. Started out with simple exercises against a wall and just developed from there.

Yeah, tis shocking. It's your job. You train practically every day. Yet you can't learn how to use the other foot?

Yeah, tis shocking. It's your job. You train practically every day. Yet you can't learn how to use the other foot?

Puskas - one of the greatest players ever to grace the game - was terribly left footed. When asked about it he declared that he always used his right: "I have to stand on something!" :winkold:

He can use it though, he just doesn't regularly. I don't think there's anything wrong with it personally, my weaker side is decent enough to the point i can accurately kick the ball with some power but almost everything I do is so I can work the ball onto my stronger side, even when it's on my right foot, I prefer to try and open my body up and hit it left footed.

I don't think it's anything to do with how good/bad my right is, just the confidence I have on the left. I think if you look at most left footers, A.Johnson, N.Zogbia, L.Messi, all incredibly left footed, although I bet if you actually watched them kick the ball with their right in a training session or something, you'd be impressed. Don't think Downing is any different. Whenever I watch the Villa warm ups, the shooting practise, Downing usually has 2/3 efforts on his right foot, he strikes it incredibly well, I bet as well as anything we could do on our stronger feet!

all left footers are incredibly left footed. even if they can use their right foot to a good level.

I wish Downing had just had a crack with his right foot when that chance fell to him! He could have just put his laces through it and if it went wide then we wouldn't have cared because we'd have known it was on his weaker side.

But he could clearly see he had a better chance to get it on his left foot and he damn nearly scored!

We would have been salivating about that goal if it had gone in.

I just wanted to say I thought he was excellent yesterday - so pleased he has come out and said he wants to stay.

Thought he played great when he went into the centre too - hoping he could mature into a giggs type player. He has certainly got the intelligence to do it

He was awesome yesterday - on the right, left and in the centre. I loved that pass he played to switch the play to Albrighton on the right - virtually flat across the 18 yard line.

He has been so much better than Youngy this season, I'm almost embarrassed to accept all of the money from one of the Manchester clubs and still keep DJ. Oh go on then. :winkold:

He is such a class player..the ball is always so close to his feet..i cant believe i didnt rate him before he came here..

I think he has developed a lot since his arrival at VP. In his Boro' days he was predominantly left footed and often found it difficult, as he is not the quickest (relatively) to beat a man. Now he has a right foot, a left foot and an outside of the left foot! I think Ged has to be credited with developing him as a RW as well and can see him starting for England on the right side in the next game.

He is such a class player..the ball is always so close to his feet..i cant believe i didnt rate him before he came here..

I think lots of people outside Villa still don't rate him and think that he lacks pace, creativity and determination.

Oh how wrong they are...

I just wanted to say I thought he was excellent yesterday - so pleased he has come out and said he wants to stay.

Yeah great news about hims staying but I'm not so fussed about him coming out

I am. All we need now is for Bent to come out if you get my drift. :)

Cracking goal yesterday!!

I wish Downing had just had a crack with his right foot when that chance fell to him! He could have just put his laces through it and if it went wide then we wouldn't have cared because we'd have known it was on his weaker side.

But he could clearly see he had a better chance to get it on his left foot and he damn nearly scored!

We would have been salivating about that goal if it had gone in.

I personally thought he would have had a better chance to score if he'd just hammered it first time on his right. The keeper wasn't in a great position and there weren't any defenders in his way. Instead, he had to get control of it, then try to find a gap between a defenders legs. By then, the keeper had got his footing sorted.

A huge belt from the right boot could have pinged into the goal somehow (and like I said, if he'd missed, we wouldn't have minded because we'd know it was his weaker foot).

Was nice to hear ' one Stewart Downing ' from the Holte aswell, if only we could come up with a better chant though

Agreed - he definitely deserves it considering how much he gave us this season. I have a lot of time for Mr Downing.

Great finish for the goal yesterday.

One disappointment would be that he had I think 5 league goals by Xmas and given some of the chances he's missed since then, he should've been in double figures league wise which would've been an exceptional season from him.

Â