The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Lets remember we were 5th without Grealish. I doubt we will get £40m - be great if we did - get it done and move on. 

We aren't bidding £40m on anyone, certainly not a player from the championship. You don't sell you best player and former PFA player of the year for £60m and spend two thirds of that on someone completely unproven at the highest level.

The very best championship players were still only going for about £15m just last season. Frankly, the sort of offers you'll get would be £10-15m upfront with some add on payments that could push it up to the £20m if he hit the targets. From what I'd heard, we had a deal lined up for Maddison in a similar ball park figure. But that is under question because of his injury.

Not what people want to hear, but I think that's the reality of it, unless you get a bidding war from a couple of top clubs. Even then they aren't going past £25m IMO.

3 minutes ago, babyblue said:

We aren't bidding £40m on anyone, certainly not a player from the championship. You don't sell you best player and former PFA player of the year for £60m and spend two thirds of that on someone completely unproven at the highest level.

The very best championship players were still only going for about £15m just last season. Frankly, the sort of offers you'll get would be £10-15m upfront with some add on payments that could push it up to the £20m if he hit the targets. From what I'd heard, we had a deal lined up for Maddison in a similar ball park figure. But that is under question because of his injury.

Not what people want to hear, but I think that's the reality of it, unless you get a bidding war from a couple of top clubs. Even then they aren't going past £25m IMO.

So then it would be pointless selling as it doesn't solve the problem

• Like 2

top clubs dont necessarily have to because they under value the player and wait for them to play up and force the move, will jack and his agent push so hard to move to leicester that the club have to cave in? dont see it myself

The maddison transfer will certainly set a benchmark, linked with west ham for £25m, personally i think jack is worth more, has a higher ceiling and is more marketable

does that mean £40m? probably not but if thats what villa value him at then thats the price

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So then it would be pointless selling as it doesn't solve the problem

The problem still remains though, so if your chairman wants and needs to fix it... then you will have to move on more than one player to solve it.

Just now, babyblue said:

The problem still remains though, so if your chairman wants and needs to fix it... then you will have to move on more than one player to solve it.

We're going to generate a bit of that by not renewing contracts I would imagine. The likes of Terry, Agbonlahor and Hutton will probably save the club £7m a season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Problem Leicester will have is that clubs know they have at least £60m burning a hole in their pocket so prices will creep up. I still think £30m is a likely fee.

What the hell has happened to Championship valuations in a year that players having a decent season become £25m/£30m players? We're buying champions league playing, fully fledged internationals for less than £20m still (Pereira only cost €20m from Porto!)  Maguire cost us £12m rising, and that was from a club just getting relegated.

Just now, babyblue said:

What the hell has happened to Championship valuations in a year that players having a decent season become £25m/£30m players? We're buying champions league playing, fully fledged internationals for less than £20m still (Pereira only cost €20m from Porto!)  Maguire cost us £12m rising, and that was from a club just getting relegated.

I'm not saying it's right but TV money will also have an impact.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm not saying it's right but TV money will also have an impact.

The money hasn't changed since we sold Drinkwater and we thought £30m was ok for a premier league winning English CM. We'd get no more than £20-£25m for Gray who is a young English Talent.

I think the sales of Coutinho, Neymar, VVD have warped peoples opinions of what the market is actually like. They were freaks fueled by the desperation of PSG, they aren't going to happen all the time.

We'll be expecting to get 3 players with the Mahrez money.

6 minutes ago, babyblue said:

The money hasn't changed since we sold Drinkwater and we thought £30m was ok for a premier league winning English CM. We'd get no more than £20-£25m for Gray who is a young English Talent.

I think the sales of Coutinho, Neymar, VVD have warped peoples opinions of what the market is actually like.

Agreed the market was skewed by a couple of wild transfers. £30m for Drinkwater a perfect example of that. Grealish is twice as good as him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We bought Scott Hogan for (upto) £15m

There is literally zero chance of Jack being sold for the same amount

You overpaying doesn't mean everyone else will as well.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Agreed the market was skewed by a couple of wild transfers. £30m for Drinkwater a perfect example of that. Grealish is twice as good as him.

Ok ?

6 minutes ago, babyblue said:

You overpaying doesn't mean everyone else will as well.

You don't need to overpay to get Grealish for more than £15m

£25m still wouldn't be overpaying

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

I think Jack will have his sights set on better than Leicester. 

I agree. 

If Leicester are the only team in for him then he'll stay here I would think.

Unless, as I said earlier, they offer something silly.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You don't need to overpay to get Grealish for more than £15m

£25m still wouldn't be overpaying

Well, looking at the market for Championship players. Nobody has gone for more than about £15m from what I can see, so I'm not sure why he's suddenly worth £10m more than all the best players were previously. I appreciate you rate him highly, but fan ratings don't dictate the market.

Plus, as I've said... £25m gets you champions league playing internationals abroad. 9 goals and 9 assists in an entire career, does not a £25m player make. £15m rising with high target addons, buying team staying up, making Europe, getting full international caps etc. Yes, you stand a chance of someone going for a deal like that.

Â