The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Our next four games is our toughest run until the end of the season.

Keep it as it is, AEG - Grealish - Traore, Barkley can't play anyway. See how it goes. They've done well Vs Burnley (save for an actual goal), Baggies and Palace, three of the most defensive sides in the league. If they can repeat it Vs Chelsea, then we can talk.

Grealish-Barkley-Trez ripped open Liverpool and Arsenal and an assured performance Vs Leicester. Unless the aforementioned three can do it to Chelsea we should be reverting to Grealish left and Barkley central for United, Spurs and Everton. It's a different game to what we've played the last 2 weeks.

They're fighting over Trez's spot, unless they dismantle Chelsea tomorrow, then maybe there is an argument to say Barkley should earn his spot back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I agree and said as much a few months ago but the God brigade spoke loudest. Grealish is by far the most talented Villa player in the modern era and is irreplaceable.

I saw McGrath play a few times and yes he was great but as a young footballer myself I was far more excited by Daley, Yorke, Saunders, and especially Platt. I prefer those players from a technical point of view, yes they read the game well but players like Grealish can also beat several players using pace and skill. That aspect is what everyone loves and agrees upon as excitement.

Against Palace it was wonderful to see Grealish pick the ball up and glide past a few opposition players with ease, it's almost as if you know it and expect it. It's too easy for him at times.

Brian little was the most gifted player I had ever seen in a Villa shirt, he walked on water. He no longer carries that mantle 

• Like 1

I actually think half the time opposition players are psychologically beaten when Jack has the ball in front of them. Quite often I see them deflated and making no attempt to win the ball and just go into Jack out of pure desperation 🤣 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Sir, unfortunately before my time. My first match was in 1986!

Indeed my friend, I’m just putting a longer term perspective on it for you, your bang on the money. You would have loved Little👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Indeed my friend, I’m just putting a longer term perspective on it for you, your bang on the money. You would have loved Little👍

Yes for sure! I've read alot about him and I remember seeing a huge photo of him flying through the air to win the ball think it was at a Villa Park stadium tour many years ago!

Was his career cut short through injury?*

I'm going to YouTube some clips of him in action.

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yes for sure! I've read alot about him and I remember seeing a huge photo of him flying through the air to win the ball think it was at a Villa Park stadium tour many years ago!

Was his career cut short through injury?*

I'm going to YouTube some clips of him in action.

Knee injury did him at 26, this was a tad fortunate as he was about to sign for Small Heath would you believe. The fact he failed the medical for this move places him further in Villa folk law. He won the league cup in 1977 virtually on his own with a hat trick in the semi final replay against QPR at Highbury and a brace at old Trafford in the final second replay. Won the youth cup in claret and blue as  well and league cup managing us, for what it is worth I think the side we have now is probably the best since his 95/96 Villa side, legend and still works for us now

Edited by Follyfoot

Just been watching some clips from 1974, Villa look a good side going forward....Graydon, Carrodus, Little, Hamilton. Very quick in possession and direct, dare I say I see parallels in this current Villa team the way we transition?

Must admit I did love Little as our manager, I was frequenting Villa Park quite often I those days.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Honestly, I'm at the stage now where his brilliance is almost bittersweet, because you know there's simply no way he's going to be here for the rest of his career as we all want him to be - he's just too good. He's genuinely world class.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Honestly, I'm at the stage now where his brilliance is almost bittersweet, because you know there's simply no way he's going to be here for the rest of his career as we all want him to be - he's just too good. He's genuinely world class.

If we get top 4, the only place he can go would be Madrid, Barca, Bayern or PSG. 

I reckon we'd still be in with a shout if our owners and Purslow can convince him again that we're going to progress even further.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

If we get top 4, the only place he can go would be Madrid, Barca, Bayern or PSG. 

I reckon we'd still be in with a shout if our owners and Purslow can convince him again that we're going to progress even further.

And he's easily good enough for them, that's the thing that worries me.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

But he isn't going anywhere in England. I reckon we have 2 more years to win something with him or get into champions league... if that hasn't happened by end of next season, he'll probably replace Messi at Barca.

I suspect there'll be a lot of interest in him this year but I'm confident our owners can reject any bids and keep him happy for At least another year. 

I obviously don't want to lose him but...

He'd be great for Barca, yet I can't see him there. I could see him at Madrid though but would be less suited to them

Partly wishful thinking though that if he leaves it'll be abroad. He's said a couple times he wants to play in the Prem for his entire career. We need to keep hold of him.

Edited by HalfTimePost

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just been watching some clips from 1974, Villa look a good side going forward....Graydon, Carrodus, Little, Hamilton. Very quick in possession and direct, dare I say I see parallels in this current Villa team the way we transition?

Must admit I did love Little as our manager, I was frequenting Villa Park quite often I those days.

😎The 1976/77 side were a joy to behold especially at home as well, great memories

Just now, Mantis said:

And he's easily good enough for them, that's the thing that worries me.

Oh no doubt. Barca would probably be out of the question because they're so shit and they're skint. Although he'd improve them immensely. The other teams could genuinely go for him but I wonder how much Jack would want to go to another country (and the tribulations that come with that) to join a mega club vs getting his hometown club up there. I think the fact that most of our domestic "big 6" are so shit right now works in our favour.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Can anyone actually afford Grealish? Barcelona by all accounts couldn't, how about Real? PSG? An Italian team perhaps?

Here is hoping no one can, If he ever leaves the Villa a little part of all of us will as well

• Like 1

Nice to think if we kick on he would stay. The owners are very ambitious, and I am now beginning to see how we could become a Man City in a few years. 

But take Bale at Real - £600K p.w. Its very tempting, their money is very persuasive, and they are the biggest club in the world. How their FFP works I have no idea?

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Nice to think if we kick on he would stay. The owners are very ambitious, and I am now beginning to see how we could become a Man City in a few years. 

But take Bale at Real - £600K p.w. Its very tempting, their money is very persuasive, and they are the biggest club in the world. How their FFP works I have no idea?

It’s obviously doesn’t, did not the Spanish government bail them out with some fiddle about five years ago or so?

Â