The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I think too much attention is put on the results of the reserves - maybe because we have won the title for the past couple of seasons. I think we should be more focused on bringing through the individuals and, for me, this means getting good youth out on loan (to the right set up of course) playing competitive games and learning.

I believe we hold on to our players too much, maybe partly because we have such a small squad, so I would rather we invested in a few squad fillers (cheaper players that fill our bench maybe for a couple of seasons but would have a re-sale e.g. Gary O'Neill when he was fit) if this would allow us to get the youth real experience of competitive football.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Put simply, Barcelona vs Arsenal (i think it was that game) Barca had 10 players on the pitch at one point that were all home grown. I believe Messi was the one of the very few homegrown players included that werent from the Barca/Catalan area.

They dont put something in the water over there that breeds world class footballers. Their Youth Set-Up breeds world class footballers. Even Xavi has said that maybe 3 of Barca's under 10's team can make it as footballers.

This is the direction football as a whole (and English football more so with the media pressure on the FA and Government to start creating more talent + Fifa Financial Fair Play rules, which allow you to spend as much as you like on youth development whether it puts you in the red or not) is going. And I'm glad we're getting a head start on the majority of sides in the PL.

Arsenal and Man UTD have good youth set ups/scouting networks already. Im not sure about Spurs' and Liverpools (although the latter generally always produce one or two good/great footballers from their area). Citeh I am sure will go the same way as Chelsea in that they will buy all of the best players. Win quite a bit for a few years and compete very well.. then in 5/6 years realise their squad is too old, will have an injury crisis as a result and will have no younger players to fall back on - like Chelski have this season.

Gardner, Grealish, Graham, Siegriest, Albrighton, Clark are all tipped to be great players.

Baker, Bannan and Fonz tipped to make it, possibly be very good.

---------------Siegriest

Walker-----Clark----Baker----???

----------Gardner---Delph

Albrighton-----Bannan-----Grealish/Graham

------------------Fonz

Apart from the ever-illusive Left-back our young players are so incredibly promising. yes they may not have all grown up through Villa (Walker, Delph) But may not be getting their club (or in Walkers case - International) starts without us. It isnt too out landish that in four or 5 years we too could have a mostly home-grown starting 11.

Lichaj, Devine, Herd, Hogg etc all have something to prove but are promising.

He played tonight for Ireland u16s.

He came off in the 70th minute and was replaced by my cousin.

I'll ask him how good Grealish is!

What a terrible name.

Doesn't even sound irish, maybe mispelt. O'mycousin

As a recent example, if that was acceptable for us Ridgewell, Craig Gardener, Steve Davis, Cahill, Luke Moore and co would still be good enough for us now.

Again using those players as an example we can say with a fair degree of accuracy that our academy is decent and produces enough talent to make it sustainable and worthwhile. But is it really capable of churning out 5-6 special players? The players needed who could go on to form the backbone of a successful Villa side because - let's not forget- that's ultimately what it's all about.

Cahill - the £20m CB that scored a brace against us at the weekend? MON's biggest mistake IMO.

Ridgewell - whilst he was prone to the occasional lapse, he'd be a step up at LB to anything we have at the minute.

Craig Gardner - he is what we are missing at the minute having sold Jimmy and SI's failure to fill that gap, a decent ACM. IMO, if he were still at VP, I would be playing him at the minute. Another never given a decent chance by MON.

Davis - IMO very similar to Barry Bannan. If he were going to succeed in the Premier League he would need to be part of a three man CM.

Sorry, I can't construct an argument for Luke!

Off topic, but apart from possibly Cahill, i wouldn't have any of those players listed back at the club. Yes Rdgewell is better than we have now at LB, but only because we have nobody. If we signed a player of Ridgewell's ability to be our left back I wouldn't be happy.

Davis was average. Gardener is no better than any of our CMs at the moment (not including players like Salifou and Osbourne), and Luke Moore....no comment

Off topic, but apart from possibly Cahill, i wouldn't have any of those players listed back at the club. Yes Rdgewell is better than we have now at LB, but only because we have nobody. If we signed a player of Ridgewell's ability to be our left back I wouldn't be happy.

Davis was average. Gardener is no better than any of our CMs at the moment (not including players like Salifou and Osbourne), and Luke Moore....no comment

But we don't have a player that can play where Gardner plays IMO?

Not sure about that, I don' tlike Ashley Young in the hole, but he offers more to us than using Gardener as ACM would. But even so, much like my Ridgewell comment, just because we've got no-one there at the moment, doesn't mean a player of his ability would be a good signing for example.

He's not very good. He wasn't getting in the team when he was here, he was 5th choice CM, and if he was still here playing at the ability he's playing at at blues, then I still don't think he'd be getting in the team.

Selling him was a perfectly acceptable decision.

Moore has looked good in a couple of Swansea games i saw recently including a great win at Leeds. potentially could be back in the Premier league next season

Davis similar to Bannan? :lol:

Nationality, the fact that they've both played for us and in the area of midfield... yes.

Style of play? Totally, utterly different. Bannan in possession is light years ahead of Davis and the passing abilities are just incomparable.

Not sure about that, I don' tlike Ashley Young in the hole, but he offers more to us than using Gardener as ACM would. But even so, much like my Ridgewell comment, just because we've got no-one there at the moment, doesn't mean a player of his ability would be a good signing for example.

He's not very good. He wasn't getting in the team when he was here, he was 5th choice CM, and if he was still here playing at the ability he's playing at at blues, then I still don't think he'd be getting in the team.

Selling him was a perfectly acceptable decision.

Totally agree with you, Stevo. I'd even say that Cahill isn't good enough as I don't think he's as good as most seems to think. Good, but not that great. I think Clark will be a better player in the future. A lot better.

Unrelated to Grealish, but Ireland u16s played again today and this time my cousin (not his actual name by the way :D ) got on the scoresheet as they drew 1-1 again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, its me kev erm just reading the posts before this and its very embarrassing some of stuff I was coming out with :/ lol. But yeah sgc he played with the youth team on saturday and came off the bench for about 12 minutes I think. He did okay but he was very nervy on the ball but did well and done some good touches. Hes second touch of the ball he got clattered by a big right back from palace and I was then thinking how much more physical it was to the 16s! But hes just came back from turkey with ireland two weeks ago and apparently did well. But just one last thing is that sgc commented In a post before that it wouldnt be long before hes in the u18s and he got that right...

Â