The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sold on him as a captain tbh. Prefer someone who is more vocal when we need it. Like against arsenal. 

It doesn't matter who the captain is, it's just a armband one of the players wear. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is one of those cases where there was no way for the correlation to be a coincidence as we went on an almost opposite run while he was out.

Yet that doesn't need to have anything to do with him being captain. As I said, correlation is not causation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yet that doesn't need to have anything to do with him being captain. As I said, correlation is not causation. 

it's a fact, without Grealish's influence (which coincides him being the captain) we wouldn't have won 10 in a row. 

Plus you don't know what he's like behind the scenes. Numerous players actually have commended how he is around the club, with the fans and with new players. He is Mr. Aston Villa. 

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is one of those cases where there was no way for the correlation to be a coincidence as we went on an almost opposite run while he was out.

Yeah but is this because he was captain, or because he was back in the team?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but is this because he was captain, or because he was back in the team?

I mean it was certainly because he was back in the team at the very least. As for it being because he was captain, that's impossible to quantify, but Dean Smith certainly thought it played a huge role, hence why he made him captain in the first place.

• Like 1

I actually liked the Hourihane-Grealish switching in the match. I feel like this gave Grealish a lot more free roam to find space, and he got on the ball a lot more. Problem is, Conor isn't a winger, BUT that was alright while Targett was on the field since Targett would overlap conor. When Taylor came on, Conor was stuck out wide with no support. 

I am not sure what is best. I like Trez's pace and directness, but then Grealish plays deeper. Our attack was doing well in the first half, and it really went bad once Targett got hurt. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I actually liked the Hourihane-Grealish switching in the match. I feel like this gave Grealish a lot more free roam to find space, and he got on the ball a lot more. Problem is, Conor isn't a winger, BUT that was alright while Targett was on the field since Targett would overlap conor. When Taylor came on, Conor was stuck out wide with no support. 

I am not sure what is best. I like Trez's pace and directness, but then Grealish plays deeper. Our attack was doing well in the first half, and it really went bad once Targett got hurt. 

I know I keep banging the same old drum, but the lack of an offensive LB is a major problem for us.

The fact that we have all known this for some time is particularly galling.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 16:22, Czechlad said:

I agree, right system but maybe not the right player. It was a chance for Conor that he didnt really take. I'd probably play the same team but would be considering Luis for Conor 

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree, right system but maybe not the right player. It was a chance for Conor that he didnt really take. I'd probably play the same team but would be considering Luis for Conor 

I think CH is decent as a 10 - the best game I have seen him play was against Norwich when he got a hattrick playing off Davis - or as a DCM/sitter BUT he does not have the energy or drive to play as a box to box (or "8").  I think Lansbury would be my first choice to play this role if we want to play Jack further forward.  He brings a bit of steel, aggression and energy and is also a goal threat.

On 01/10/2019 at 09:58, AntrimBlack said:

I know I keep banging the same old drum, but the lack of an offensive LB is a major problem for us.

The fact that we have all known this for some time is particularly galling.

Couldn't agree more.  Targett then Hause and then Taylor (last resort) at LB for me.  Targett was decent last week and gave balance.  Hause looked good there last season and has a wicked cross.  Both of these allow the LW to move inside and get closer to the "9" who can otherwise look isolated in a 4-3-3!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Judging by the list, this system largely recognises offensive players.  Not that I disagree that Jack is our best player though!

Midfielders will generally always dominate the stats imo though.

Â