• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rio getting injured now is a blessing. The guy is a shadow of his former self and he made the squad on reputation, not form. He has hardly played in two years (Ledley King played more football than Rio this season) and the constant play three, miss three, play three, miss three nature of his injuries meant that Rio just couldn't get any kind of form going.

It's a shame for him on a personal level of course, but the guy is literally falling to bits. His resistance to knocks appears to have gone and he has been carrying niggles for ages now. He is only 31 years old but he has played a hell of a lot of football in his career as he has been a first team player since he was 17 and a full international since he was 19. As they say, its not the age of the chassis, its the miles on the clock.

Prefer Lennon to Milner. He's a better winger.

Don't think we have any world class wingers, I'm thinking we could win the WC with direct football, play through the middle, too Rooney and Heskey with CM's bombing forward.

I am glad Rio is injured - he is not the player he was 3 years ago and that's obvious to see, though I wish it had happened a bit earlier, as this will have an effect on the team. At least the USA game is our first, so we can play King for that and then bring in Carragher or Dawson if King can't make the next group game, bringing him back in for the knockouts.

yeah dawson is in, king will start 1st game, sit out next 2 and then come in for 2nd round sit out quarter, play semi, miss final, absolutely stupid

carragher should be 1st choice IMO, which is painful to say

So does Dawson get to replace him?

Possibly but Carragher is so verstalie he can play anywhere across the back line which is why capello tried so hard to bring him back, and so he may choose to bring back walcott because the central defensive area is so well covered with Terry, Carragher, King and Upson.

One persons misfortune is another persons gain.

He won't bring Walcott back in. He will not want to go to the World Cup with one centre half, one always injured centre half, a brought-out-of-retirement versatile defender and only 3 recognised full backs - with 3 right wingers (Lennon, SWP, Milner) and 2 players more than capable of playing there (Gerrard and Joe Cole)

Bad news for us in my opinion. King will need to step it up if he wants to play in the WC at all. He was woeful against Mexico.

On the other hand, I am happy that Gerrard will now be the captain. I think he should have been the captain in the first place anyway. When he gets going, he cam really drive a team on. I am now thinking that he will be even more important in this WC.

I heard Ferdinand actually tried to tackle Heskey which is why he got injured, not Heskey tackling Ferdinand. :)

Well as Heskey is the striker and Ferdinand is the defender we or certainly I kind of guessed that. We're only joking with the criticisms of Heskey in this incident, it's football it happens. I just wonder how many more top players will get injured before the tournament.

I bet Dawson's Mrs is well chuffed, I imagine they've just got back from blowing £15k at the travel agents and then he pops the TV on hear Capello say "We hope it will not be so bad but we have [Tottenham's] Michael Dawson on call,"

:lol:

Im sure 15k is nothing to Michael Dawson

Me too, I was more thinking that his mrs would have been looking forward to going away with him on a fantastic holiday and now its, "see you in a few weeks, toodaloo"

Good news, Rio is a shell of a player he was a few years ago. More slow, error prone and his form alone this season was alarming enough. Hopefully, if Dawson can replace him we'll have a defender who deserves a call up.