• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carragher and Terry would be a car crash against pacy and quick strikers like Argentina and Spain have.

Terry and King. Play King in the first two games then rest him for the third and probably meaningless game as England should be through by then.

A coworker broke his leg yesterday which means that I have to work on Saturday, thus missing the USA/England world cup game. Fuckity fuckity ****

Did he really? How convenient he breaks it now, 1 week before the world cup starts - a nice month off for him. I'd look into that :winkold:

A coworker broke his leg yesterday which means that I have to work on Saturday, thus missing the USA/England world cup game. Fuckity fuckity ****

Did he really? How convenient he breaks it now, 1 week before the world cup starts - a nice month off for him. I'd look into that :winkold:

Remember this is the USA we're talking about... ;)

Carragher and Terry would be a car crash against pacy and quick strikers like Argentina and Spain have.

Terry and King. Play King in the first two games then rest him for the third and probably meaningless game as England should be through by then.

agree on all that, although there's also no need to play king in the 2nd game v algeria either, probably/hopefully.

save him for the knockout stages after the 1st game, perhaps?

King was dire when he played last time out. Looked sluggish and out of his depth. Hopefully it won't carry over to the World Cup, yet I am concerned about having him as our starting CB, especially when we play the better teams in the last 16...

judging player though in 1 friendly game FTL, surely?

Plus, in that game anyway, i thought he was OK, and no worse than Rio.

He'd be my 1st choice every day of the week, although i expect Carra may also be in contention.

you cant have have it that king plays 1 game, sits out 2 and then automatically comes back in, what kind of motivation is that to the CB who replaces him?

I would guess either dawson or Uppity would just be happy to get a game, TBH. Same with Carra.

They would just be happy to play in the WC finals.

I don't think there will be a morale issue with Ledders being in and out either.

It's called rotation, although i know we're not used to it here at Villa ... :winkold:

I'd probably play Upson and Terry in pretty much all of the games.

Upson surely is nowhere near good enough to be in a side that contends for the world cup?

I think/Hope it will be Ledders 1st, but after that I'd have Carra in.

Then Dawson.

Then Barry

Then Carrick.

Then maybe Uppity. I think he's useless, and can't see how we could win the WC with him in the side against anyone other than algeria.

Ledders is so widely respected by the top managers. Were he not a crock, he'd have tons of england caps by now, IMHO.

My only real concern with Ledders is that if he is unable to train effectively, how can he form a partnership and understanding with JT in just a few days/weeks? Especially as he is unlikely to play every game.

I've never really understood why so many journalists and fans believe King has the ability to play international football.

Hopefully they are right.

:lol:

let's hope so .... :winkold:

(I've also drawn england in the sweep at work) :P

stolen from wiki:

International career

King's England debut came in a 1–2 loss to Italy in March 2002.[12] He was called into the England squad for the friendly against Portugal on 18 February 2004, and netted his first goal on his third appearance.

King received his England call-up for Euro 2004 deputising for the injured John Terry in the opener against France in Portugal.[13] He also made a substitute appearance in midfield in the final group game against Croatia.[14]

After featuring regularly in the qualifiers, King looked a likely participant in the England 2006 World Cup squad before fracturing a bone in his foot on 15 April 2006. Although not as bad as a similar injury affecting David Beckham, Gary Neville and Steven Gerrard, King's injury prevented him from being named in Sven-Göran Eriksson's squad.[15]

"Ledley King is injured and he can't train. If you talk about centre-halves we are very well covered, so taking another one half-injured when we have so many good ones it is not a good idea."

King played in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia on 6 June 2007. King played 90 minutes and England won 3–0. Although he featured in Fabio Capello's first squad, he had to pull out through injury. Due to a chronic knee condition which preventing him holding down a regular place in the club side he was also not selected for England games for the rest of 2007 and during the whole of 2008.

On 22 March 2009, King was given a recall by head coach Fabio Capello to the England team to play Slovakia and Ukraine.[5] However, two days later he was removed from the squad after being assessed by England's medical staff, who thought it was in his best interests to continue his personal training regime at his club, due to the chronic knee condition that he has.[16] Fabio Capello later said, in response to Harry Redknapp's objection to King's call-up, "Without doubt, King is one of the best central defenders in England. If he was fit, Redknapp would not need to make the journey. King could come with us." He later promoted King's cause again, saying that "We hope (he has an international future), because he's a very interesting player – one of the best centre-backs. But I don't know the future."

On May 11, 2010 King was named in the England 30-man provisional squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup alongside fellow Tottenham Hotspur central defender Michael Dawson. He went on to score a headed goal against Mexico in the first preparation friendly on 24th May.

It's fair to say he's been in and around the england sccene for a while now, and when he first burst onto the scene he was very highly rated, and looked to have a big england career ahead of him.

Capello, judging from these quotes, seems to rate him highly, but for me it's just totally down to his injuries. If he can stay fit for this tourny, i think we'll have a good chance of doing well.

Lots to like about the US from the game I saw against Australia. They are very quick on the break and technically very good. And this was without their first choice striker partnership. I can see them hurting England - especially if they take their chances....

... except their defense is their weakness. Australia managed some very good chances on goal and they are anything but a good attacking side. Better sides will really open them up.

So, England to win the group? Yep.

They are very quick on the break and technically very good. And this was without their first choice striker partnership. I can see them hurting England - especially if they take their chances....

would their first choice strikeforce be the outlaw Jozy Altidore, supported by LandyCakes (for t'is his nickname, somewhat hilariously) and Clint Dempsey?

It's "decent", but it's not top drawer.

I gues whether they can hurt us or not may depend on whether Uppity plays or not .... :winkold:

would their first choice strikeforce be the outlaw Jozy Altidore, supported by LandyCakes (for t'is his nickname, somewhat hilariously) and Clint Dempsey?

It's "decent", but it's not top drawer.

I gues whether they can hurt us or not may depend on whether Uppity plays or not .... :winkold:

Aye, I think that's their lineup. Not a lot of individual quality but (at times) their passing on the break was superb.

They reminded me very much of Liverpool a few years back when they last won something. They surrender a lot of possession but break very quickly.

Having said that, they did miss 2 open goals....

I think they'll be a genuine handful, and will work hard and close us down well.

I think it will be a competitive, edgy game.

But, if we are up for it, and well drilled, we should in theory beat them.

Still, i'm nervous about it, as anything can happen in a cup match like this.