Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Holy shit how good is orphan black? And Tatiana Maslany.. :-0

I just assumed she's British due to the perfectly natural accent but seemingly slightly dodgy American accent. Turns out she's Canadian. But that ass though.

I only know her has Tom Haverford's girlfriend in Parks and Rec.

You don't **** with the Peaky Blinders.

Hands down best thing I've seen this year. Series one was excellent, but series 2 has been absolutely amazing from 1st to last episode.

No spoilers, but the scene last night with Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy was TV of the absolute highest order.

Smashes Boardwalk out of the park and if they keep up this standard in series 3, we could be talking Soprano level greatness.

Holy shit how good is orphan black? And Tatiana Maslany.. :-0

I just assumed she's British due to the perfectly natural accent but seemingly slightly dodgy American accent. Turns out she's Canadian. But that ass though.

I saw the first couple of episodes and was completely enamoured by her.  That ass!

Smashes Boardwalk out of the park and if they keep up this standard in series 3, we could be talking Soprano level greatness.

No way, Peaky Blinders is good, but it's not that good.

I can't help but feel that Peaky Blinders is just missing "something". In Boardwalk you don't just get to know the characters of the protagonists, you also get to know the characters of the rival gangs, which really adds to the depth of the show. In Peaky you only really get to know the characters of 3 people. Watching Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk was one of the greatest pieces of character building I've ever seen, Peaky Blinders just doesn't have that (partly due to a series being only 6 episodes long).

Take Tom Hardy's character for example, what do we really know about him other than the fact he's a bit of a loose cannon?(I've not seen the latest episode still tho) In Boardwalk there would be episodes building him up. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

That does tend to be a difference between British & American TV, at least when it comes to big dramas. British TV tends to be more focused on a few characters, while American TV tends to flesh out supporting characters too.

'Merican TV does have more room to breath though. 13 episodes is usually the standard series for the big hitters. Over here it is 6.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I can't help but feel that Peaky Blinders is just missing "something". In Boardwalk you don't just get to know the characters of the protagonists, you also get to know the characters of the rival gangs, which really adds to the depth of the show. In Peaky you only really get to know the characters of 3 people. Watching Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk was one of the greatest pieces of character building I've ever seen, Peaky Blinders just doesn't have that (partly due to a series being only 6 episodes long).

Take Tom Hardy's character for example, what do we really know about him other than the fact he's a bit of a loose cannon?(I've not seen the latest episode still tho) In Boardwalk there would be episodes building him up. 

Agree 100%. I really enjoyed Peaky Blinders (some dodgy accents aside), but Boardwalk is on a different level.

Going back to Peak Blinders though, I loved the scene where Alfie Solomons and Sabini sat down to discuss a truce .

I think that is the main issue, British shows only get 6 episodes.  Is it even possible to get them commissioned for more?

These restrictions will always hinder depth and character development.  I could easily sit through a 12 episode series of Peaky Blinders.

Think the budget may have a lot to do with it. I'm sure in terms of the cost to make Peaky Blinders, it was pretty expensive. So to go from 6 to 12 episodes would probably have put it way over budget.

• Like 1

I think it's a fair point around the characters and I suppose it is largely down the number of episodes per series. But in a way it's why I think it's better. Becuase it's short and sharp, the main focus is the plot/story arch rather than character origins.

I watch a lot of HBO type stuff where the show develops over time, but inevitably you do get those episodes where nothing really happens. With PB I literally could not wait for the next episode from the moment one finished. It consistently built towards a grand stand finish, but each episode was also great on its own.

It's nice to have a drama with the similar production values and standard of acting as something like BE, but with a faster paced story line and I kind of like the fact some of the characters are shrouded in a bit of mystery ( I really hope Hardy returns in series 3, his brief but unhinged cameos were brilliant)

Last nights episode was one of the best hours of TV I have seen. It was engrossing to the point where I had to remind myself to breathe at times!

I didn't think I would ever see an hour of TV better than the 'Pine Barrens' episode of the Sopranos, but I have now.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about Gotham but none of you seem to like it.  :)

I do.

tumblr_ndmsf46y2n1rbc9h1o1_500.gif

Me too.

It's not downright amazing, but as far as the comic book TV programmes go, it's better than Arrow and Marvel Agents of Shield.

It's got potential to be very good.

I'm fairly hooked on Twin Peaks at the moment (s2e4) seen a few reviews saying it goes down hill fast in the second season, is this true?

I am a bit of a TP fanboy, but I thought it was great all the way through. It does dip a bit in the middle, but it dips from a very high bar. Stick with it all the way, you might miss something you need to know when it comes back next year!

I think I've probably mentioned it in this thread before, but I found the majority of the Twin Peaks characters charming enough to want to know what happens to each of them on their own little story arcs, so despite the main story arc dropping away I enjoyed it all, pretty much.

I'm going to stick it out, I am raring to go to start Peaky Blinders but the missus didn't want to start last weekend. So I started TP, I've a feeling it's going to be another 2 weeks before I finish it but I could also be done by Tuesday knowing me. 

I think it's a fair point around the characters and I suppose it is largely down the number of episodes per series. But in a way it's why I think it's better. Becuase it's short and sharp, the main focus is the plot/story arch rather than character origins.

I watch a lot of HBO type stuff where the show develops over time, but inevitably you do get those episodes where nothing really happens. With PB I literally could not wait for the next episode from the moment one finished. It consistently built towards a grand stand finish, but each episode was also great on its own.

It's nice to have a drama with the similar production values and standard of acting as something like BE, but with a faster paced story line and I kind of like the fact some of the characters are shrouded in a bit of mystery ( I really hope Hardy returns in series 3, his brief but unhinged cameos were brilliant)

Last nights episode was one of the best hours of TV I have seen. It was engrossing to the point where I had to remind myself to breathe at times!

I didn't think I would ever see an hour of TV better than the 'Pine Barrens' episode of the Sopranos, but I have now.

:o

Â