Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Fair enough

I had the same argument with you over Bent

I had the same argument when we bought Heskey

Now, apparently, the same people are saying that it doesn't matter if we had Rooney and Ronaldo up front , they get no service, when we have James Milner (apparently the next England captain) , Ashley Young (young player of the year) and Stewart Downing (England regular until injury) supplying them.

I mean, if the midfield is so shit - why did one start for England on Saturday and one get voted young player of the year - fecking beats me !!!!

Face it - we need a bloody goalscorer - not a guy who can run the marathon in 90 minutes - not a link man - we have one of them - IT DOESNT WORK !!

WE NEED A GOALSCORER

We missed out on one.

Now, unless we are gonna pull off a miraculous signing of Drogba or Anelka - there isn't many out there.

And if you would sniff your nose up at a guy who has a 1 in every other game ratio

and even though he came back from a career threatening injury in January got a 1 in 3

Then - sorry guys - you lot are gonna be in for one hell of a disappointment

Goodnight, I'm off to bed

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

85 goals in 219 premier league games including sub apps

find me a better striker than that for £10 million- it's a no brainer for me

Michael Owen.

But I'd stay away from him for the SAME reasons.

These players had good records once, but don't look anything like they're capable of ever doing it again.

The worrying thing is you (and some others too) would be happy for us to spunk £10m up the wall on this type of player. It's a very high risk signing and £10m doens't grow in Randys garden.

If you (and others) are basing your point on stats then you may as well argue a case for signing Ian Rush for £10m!!

fair enough I can see your point, I think we could get Yakubu for less than £10 million to be honest. Imo, it's Bent or Yakubu or no-one, I'm fed up seeing people saying they'd be happy with strikers like Eduardo who isn't fit to lace Bent's boots

Yeah but nor is Rooney in your opinion. :?

Bent would cost £20+ million, we haven't got that sort of money to sign on a player who really isn't that good.

why Yakubu or no-one? Kevin Doyle in a season at Villa would probably score around 12 goals, Yakubu might get 15 maximum if he even stays fit throughout a season. You can't deny that someone like Kevin Doyle would also add alot more to the game in terms of hard work, holding the ball up, retaining possesion, consistancy etc...

I forgot about Doyle but I think he would cost similar to what Bent would and Bent would guarantee more goals

Out:

Bouma (30k wages)

Harewood (20k wages)

Sidwell (£4 million)

Carew (£5 million)

Davies (£6 million)

This would cover the cost of Bent's fee and wages, it's that simple!

In the case of Eduardo. It would be a risk but he was really coming into top form at Arsenal before his injury and since his injury, he's never been able to force his way into the team. A move that would allow him to be almost the key man of the team and the little bit of quality upfront would just give him a boost and allow him to produce the quality Wenger once saw in him which I believe he described him as the best natural finisher or something along those lines.

Eduardo I agree is a risk but I think it'd work. I like risks, the thing with Yakubu is, it's not a risk. I know what I'm going to get, if he can stay fit a full season, probably 15-16 league goals but that is unlikely so probably 10-12 league goals, inconsistant performance, quite lazy and disinterested but will put the ball in the net at given opportunities. It's almost identical to Carew in that way, I'd rather we took the risk which say Eduardo which could be a flop and score 6/7 goals and not perform very well or he could really shine here, score let's say 15 league goals as well as create a few and geniunally quality in his movement, touch, ability to link with others.

Ideally you sign someone you know that will give you what you want, i.e. Doyle and someone like Eduardo who is a risk. Just to balance it out.

I forgot about Doyle but I think he would cost similar to what Bent would and Bent would guarantee more goals

Out:

Bouma (30k wages)

Harewood (20k wages)

Sidwell (£4 million)

Carew (£5 million)

Davies (£6 million)

This would cover the cost of Bent's fee and wages, it's that simple!

He would cost £20-£24 million, considering they signed him for £15 million!

Doyle would more likely cost in the region of £10 million give or take £1/2 million either way in my opinion.

Who said the midfield are shit? It can be easily argued we need a goalscorer but also the midfield don't just get the ball and the strikers just stand in the box until ball reaches them, there is more to football than that. You could say we need a goalscorer but I also believe if we found a good, solid, consistant striker who can bring people into play, link midfield to attack and score 12+ goals a season then between Gabby and the other striker, we'd have a very consistant partnership with the likes of Delfouneso making an impact with probably around 30 goals between our strikers as well as alot more consistant and better performers. Linking the midfield would also help the likes of Milner and Downing to get on the score sheet more, it also allows to maintain the ball better, creating more chances and conceding less chances meaning less conceded goals and less chance of losing a game and more chance of winning. My philosophy anyway. :)

I think if you buy Bent, you have to sell Gabby because I really doubt they'd work too well together. I'm not sure who I prefer.

Giving you an erection?
That made me chuckle.

Anyways, to actually post on topic, I would love to see Lucas Barrios and Paul Aguilar come to the club. Villa's miles better than Pachuca and we have stronger potential than dortmund I believe.

Or marko marin, but that would never happen.

Doyle would more likely cost in the region of £10 million give or take £1/2 million either way in my opinion.

Who said the midfield are shit? It can be easily argued we need a goalscorer but also the midfield don't just get the ball and the strikers just stand in the box until ball reaches them, there is more to football than that. You could say we need a goalscorer but I also believe if we found a good, solid, consistant striker who can bring people into play, link midfield to attack and score 12+ goals a season then between Gabby and the other striker, we'd have a very consistant partnership with the likes of Delfouneso making an impact with probably around 30 goals between our strikers as well as alot more consistant and better performers. Linking the midfield would also help the likes of Milner and Downing to get on the score sheet more, it also allows to maintain the ball better, creating more chances and conceding less chances meaning less conceded goals and less chance of losing a game and more chance of winning. My philosophy anyway. :)

I think if you buy Bent, you have to sell Gabby because I really doubt they'd work too well together. I'm not sure who I prefer.

Couldn't agree more. I would buy Doyle for the £10m you say (I believe) and probably Tuncay in front of Eduardo. I thought we should have bought both when they moved to Wolves and Spurs. Tuncay hasn't worked out at Stoke but I think that's more to do with how Pullis likes to play. I think he could be just the player for us?

I mean, if the midfield is so shit - why did one start for England on Saturday and one get voted young player of the year - fecking beats me !!!!

Isn't this the same player?

Face it - we need a bloody goalscorer - not a guy who can run the marathon in 90 minutes - not a link man - we have one of them - IT DOESNT WORK !!

Who is our "link man"? I must have missed this signing.

As long as MON and Gabby Agbonlahor are at the club, we wont be signing Darren Bent.

Similar reasons for not signing Defoe a few season ago. All three like to play of the shoulder of the last man, and rightly or wrongly, there is no way MON will sign a player who'll get in the way of Gabby's progress.

I still like the shout for Robbie Keane. I think he'd score 12-15 goals, he'll drop deep and interchange passes with Downing and Milner/replacement, allowing Young and Gabby more space to use their pace and get beyond the defence. Similar to how we were playing when Heskey had that brief spell of confidence last season. Also his age is ideal for Delfouneso to be brought through without to much pressure to soon.

Interesting to see Yaya Toure being linked with City. With Milner potentially there other big target, it's getting a bit tight for places in their midfield. £10m for Milner plus Ireland and Barry?? Midfield would be sorted and we'd still have £10m to invest towards rebuilding elsewhere.

Barry wont be coming back to Villa. He's on about £125k pw for starters. Plus, we've had the best of him.

If Yaya Toure goes to City I think one of De Jong or Vieira will be off. Maybe both.

It isa not cheating figures, I cutted and pasted.

But which one are you on about - goals per season - which means he has scored more goals every season in England apart from the two injury hit ones , than any other Villa player apart from Peter Withe and Dwight Yorke

Or premier League goals

Which means he has scored more than any other player than Dwight yorke or Peter Withe.

Coz whichever way - HE SCORES GOALS

In fact, go on the stats - if you want premier only - ITS EVEN BETTER !!

Cheers for that

219 permier games - 85 goals

comprising of

16 in 36

13 in 30

13 in 34

12 in 37

15 in 31

4 in 14

5 in 21

So I reckon his worst real season of 12 goals has only been bettered once in one season by Juan pablo Angel (16 goals) and one by Dwight Yorke (17 goals) since the season 93-94 when Deano got 15 !

Yes - truely shite yakubu is !

Those figures dont even add up to 85 :?

Barry wont be coming back to Villa. He's on about £125k pw for starters. Plus, we've had the best of him.

If Yaya Toure goes to City I think one of De Jong or Vieira will be off. Maybe both.

Vieira's just signed a contract extension though, hasn't he? Or have I made that up?

Vieira's just signed a contract extension though, hasn't he? Or have I made that up?

Nope, it's true!

He signed a one year extension.

Yaya Toure was really good yesterday, him and Melo of Brazil are players who i thought were average but have looked excellent in the opening world cup games. These players as examples are class above Milner and Barry etc.

Im starting to think that if were offered the 27-28m then we should be taking it.

So they have Viera, Ireland, De Jong, Barry & they're trying to get Toure & Milner & probably someone else before the season starts.

If Milner goes then he'll play about half of the gametime that he would at Villa.

Yaya Toure was really good yesterday, him and Melo of Brazil are players who i thought were average but have looked excellent in the opening world cup games. These players as examples are class above Milner and Barry etc.

Im starting to think that if were offered the 27-28m then we should be taking it.

Melo's had a piss-poor season at Juve. I'd be interested to see how he comes back next season as I think consistency is a big issue with him.