Jez

Yes, but they will just hit the glass ceiling again.  As soon as a club becomes a threat to the establishment then their squad just gets harvested. 

How much did Southampton get for Lallana anyway?   The fee was £23m, but Bournemouth had a 25% sell on clause (£5.75m) and Lallana didn't put a transfer request in so presumably he gets a percentage too. Southampton might have cleared £15m for him but not by much. 

Edited by The_Rev

Southampton doing similar to us selling alot of talent all at once. Difference is they will replace them a lot better than we did. Dusan Tadic braught in already.

Also, there players weren't put on ridiculous contracts so profits are maximised. I wonder how much net profit we made on the likes of Yound, Downing and Milner after their "O'Neill wages" over the course of their stay were taken into account.

Was talking to a couple of Southampton fans a few weeks back about Shaw. 

Apparently they have another prospect coming through who is supposed to be better than Shaw.  It would have been touch and go who would have played next season.

If that information had come from any other club Id have taken it with a pinch of salt but Southampton really do churn them out!

Ward-Prowse will probably be the next one to be snapped up

19 another year of prem experience under his belt and the big clubs will come calling i think he's pretty decent and alot of potential

Was talking to a couple of Southampton fans a few weeks back about Shaw. 

Apparently they have another prospect coming through who is supposed to be better than Shaw.  It would have been touch and go who would have played next season.

If that information had come from any other club Id have taken it with a pinch of salt but Southampton really do churn them out!

His name is Matt Targett. Surprised if he was anywhere near displacing Shaw this season.

Newcastle sign Siem de Jong.. on a 6 year deal...  :blink:

Edit:

Knew I wasn't imagining things. It was Luuk who was there on loan last season, weird they've gone and signed Siem.

Apparently Sissoko is off to Napoli also.

Edited by samjp26

Newcastle sign Siem de Jong.. on a 6 year deal...  :blink:

Edit:

Knew I wasn't imagining things. It was Luuk who was there on loan last season, weird they've gone and signed Siem.

Apparently Sissoko is off to Napoli also.

Has to be better than his brother Luuk tbh

bottom 14?

nasri, clichy... you could even argue that all of the prem is powerless if barca and real come calling

im not sure what the answer is, im sure the likes of the teams in the championship and even huge european teams like ajax see it as what goes around comes around

The cherry picking of players from the bottom 14 teams will go on until players start picking careers over money

Any player is obviously going to take the chance to play for a bigger club and earn more money. They aren't going to look at a team like Man City or Chelsea and say "I'm not good enough for them, I'll just stay here at XXX on half the money but I'll get to play every week". They will think (and will be told) that they'll get the chance to earn their place in the team and of course they are going to believe that they can do this even when there is zero chance of that happening (e.g. Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair).

• Like 1

There should be a system to protect clubs from being picked apart but I don't know how to go about it without offending the Free Market God.

The problem for Southampton fans is that the money won't be re-invested. If it was re-invested sensibly then in theory they could be better next season than they were this season. No Left back is worth £27m to a side. But Southampton's (and Villa's) problem is that they have an owner that doesn't have any interest in the club and wants to sell up ASAP.

ryan gauld has signed for sporting lisbon, fair play to him, better than sitting on a prem bench

The deal also includes a €60m buy-out clause.  Sporting hedging their bets I guess.  But good to see some youngsters try their hand abroad, good luck to him!

ryan gauld has signed for sporting lisbon, fair play to him, better than sitting on a prem bench

The deal also includes a €60m buy-out clause.  Sporting hedging their bets I guess.  But good to see some youngsters try their hand abroad, good luck to him!

Sporting also have English defender Eric Dier too. Only 20 years old but he has a few games under his belt for them now and looks decent.