Jez

Has he got the money though to spend in order to win the title? You look at the money spent on certain players and it's no wonder, he'd rather pick up players like Vermaelen for £8ish million over an English CB for £15+ million who'd probably be a downgrade on such a player. In my opinion, he doesn't have the financial backing to fight for the title, yet he still does it on a regular basis, even if no trophies to show for it.

Bergkamp wasn't signed by Wenger but I don't think he was finished business either, he had 2 unsuccessful seasons at Inter before joining Arsenal.

The greatest Prem season we've seen, Arsenal invincibles were full of players bought not as finished articles but young players, slightly obscure players for fairly cheap prices. It's unfortunate now though, that so many teams have so much money to spend but teams like Liverpool have spent huge amounts and still IMO will finish behind Arsenal this year (although we will find out at the end of the season)

It's easy to say 'had he done this, they would have won the title etc..' but is signing someone like Gary Cahill for £15-20 million going to make Arsenal from a 3rd-4th place team into title winners? Not in my book. Yes, I guess that buy just once or twice, may have landed them 1/2 trophies but look at the bargains he picks up, like no other manager. Some of the names mentioned are laughable, like Chris Samba.

I think if Wenger could spend more, he would but he doesn't which makes the possibility of success very limited.

He's an unbelievable manager and I think if he were to leave, Arsenal would struggle so much, especially with the finances available.

I think Wenger ego got the best of him and he is afraid to back down. I liek Arsenal style of play and wish they won the league but personally think he is holding them back

Holding them back?

Yeah, If only another manager came in, with a net spend £10-15 million each season, would no doubt win the title and plenty other trophies. :?

It's just laughable. I'd love to see another manager come in, spend what Wenger does and find better players than the likes of Vermaelen, Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie, Wilshere, Sagna, Song etc...for the money that's available. Good luck with that.

Its a myth he never spent money before 2004 i think only UNited spent more than Arsenal since Wenger arrival. Kanu, Henry, Wright, Jeffers, Van Bronkchorst, Wiltord, Pires were all big money signings at the time even 3.5 million for Vieira who never played a senior game for Milan was a big fee

Its a myth he never spent money before 2004 i think only UNited spent more than Arsenal since Wenger arrival. Kanu, Henry, Wright, Jeffers, Van Bronkchorst, Wiltord, Pires were all big money signings at the time even 3.5 million for Vieira who never played a senior game for Milan was a big fee

list of fees

there's undoubtedly some bargains but a lot of big money too.

list of fees

With that money, he bought them trophies and league titles. (by the way, spent less than United/Liverpool) in doing so. So successful there.

In the last 8 years, they have net spend of -£720,000.

Man City, Chelsea have £390+ million net spend.

Liverpool - £140 million.

Spurs - £130 million.

United £96 million.

Yet Arsenal are regularly finishing top 3/4 teams in the league which is fantastic. The idea he is holding them back with a net spend that is way below most teams in the league is ridiculous for me. Yeah, they have a high wage bill but so do most of those teams, apart from Spurs, who would have lower.

Arsene Wenger net spend is £27 million.

Chelsea spent just as much in Wenger years, Liverpool, United spent more. Leeds also at the time were spending pretty big amounts.

Holding them back? Yeah, right.

Stoke have signed Upson on a free.

I know some posters would have been happy with him but personally I think we've already got better players at the club already (and that does include Dunne and Collins!)

I don't think Upson is too bad of a defender, but you're right it'd be a pointless signing for us. We'd end up having Dunne and Upson for about two more seasons then we'd need another two centre backs.

Strange of Stoke though they already have loads of centre backs, I'd imagine Pulis will be playing four of them rather then fullbacks?

Shawcross Huth Woodgate Upson

West Brom sign Shane Long :(

Great signing imo, really rate him and Doyle. Sort of striker that will get goals but will always put in excellent work rate and has the ability to lead the line on his own.

Sort of signing I'd have expected Everton to make if they had money. Better then Odemwingie, who I think was a one season wonder personally.

list of fees

With that money, he bought them trophies and league titles. (by the way, spent less than United/Liverpool) in doing so. So successful there.

Spurs - £130 million.

United £96 million.

Yet Arsenal are regularly finishing top 3/4 teams in the league which is fantastic. The idea he is holding them back with a net spend that is way below most teams in the league is ridiculous for me. Yeah, they have a high wage bill but so do most of those teams, apart from Spurs, who would have lower.

Chelsea spent just as much in Wenger years, Liverpool, United spent more. Leeds also at the time were spending pretty big amounts.

Wenger is doing well considering the transfer fees, but the fact that Arsenal have one of the biggest wage bills in world football, and have done for the best part of ten years always gets glossed over. They might have spent less in fees than we have done since Lerner took over, but the extra £40-50m a season they drop on wages more than makes up for it.

list of fees

Spurs - £130 million.

United £96 million.

Wenger is doing well considering the transfer fees, but the fact that Arsenal have one of the biggest wage bills in world football, and have done for the best part of ten years always gets glossed over. They might have spent less in fees than we have done since Lerner took over, but the extra £40-50m a season they drop on wages more than makes up for it.

Their wage bill is much smaller than their top 4 rivals. They have a 90k pw wage cap which is lower than Liverpool, Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs, they turn a profit selling players and are one of those rare clubs who spend less than they take in yet they still make the top 4 every season.

That is a pretty phenomenal achievement.

list of fees

Spurs - £130 million.

United £96 million.

I did mention the wage bill is high, but it would be no higher than likes of Chelsea/United/Man CIty/Liverpool etc...

edit: as post above points out.

The thing about Arsenal is that directors and the chairman etc always come out and say there is money there to spend and Arsenal always seem to post very healthy financial figures.

So it all seems to come down to Wenger making the choice not to spend the money. This is what frustrates their fans.

Wenger has to realise that in this day and age it's difficult to sign a player you truly think is value for money.

You always need to pay a bit over the odds. He should completely remove himself from the financial side of things and just select players he wants and let the club deal with it.

Their wage bill is much smaller than their top 4 rivals. They have a 90k pw wage cap which is lower than Liverpool, Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs, they turn a profit selling players and are one of those rare clubs who spend less than they take in yet they still make the top 4 every season.

Wenger choose to do it this way, mostly because he is exceptional at finding the right talent, and because he struggles when it comes to big money targets. Does his arrogance get in way of the possibility of signing 20M+ players? Yes I think so, as board members have said several times that big money is available for him to spend.

So he is running a very healthy football club..... BUT WHAT IS HE WINNING? NOTHING!!!! Not a single trophy since the extremely lucky FA Cup in 2005 or something. I remember that game; United were tearing them a new one without scoring goals and they won on penalties I think. So this very noble approach yields exactly zero in terms of trophies and their fans are pissed off because of it. So are the board members, and so are the best players who vanish each season just like they do at our club. Noble.. yes, but without trophies it does not matter one bit.

Wenger choose to do it this way, mostly because he is exceptional at finding the right talent, and because he struggles when it comes to big money targets. Does his arrogance get in way of the possibility of signing 20M+ players? Yes I think so, as board members have said several times that big money is available for him to spend.

So he is running a very healthy football club..... BUT WHAT IS HE WINNING? NOTHING!!!! Not a single trophy since the extremely lucky FA Cup in 2005 or something. I remember that game; United were tearing them a new one without scoring goals and they won on penalties I think. So this very noble approach yields exactly zero in terms of trophies and their fans are pissed off because of it. So are the board members, and so are the best players who vanish each season just like they do at our club. Noble.. yes, but without trophies it does not matter one bit.

Who are we to criticise only finishing in the Champions League every year?

I think the wage cap is imposed on him by the way. He may have funds to spend on transfer fees but you struggle to attract the real top talant with a 90k pw wage cap (Sneijder is asking for 250k pw!).