Jez

Won't be a huge loss for Liverpool. Sterling is overrated

What him leaving represents for Liverpool would be a huge loss though, along with Barkley (and to be fair sterling is ahead of him because he's played a lot more football) he's the biggest prospect in English football, and he doesn't want to play for a team who's fans are constantly telling themselves they're english footballs biggest team and desperately trying to get re-established in the top 4

Him leaving for another prem team would be a huge blow for them off the field probably more than on it

I agree

Don't think Sterling is that special to be honest. Doesn't work for the team, very selfish, and driven by money. He will likely be off to Citeh especially with how poor navas has been this season, but still won't play. I don't see Citeh buying him as a good transfer either, other than the fact that he is english which is what they need since Milner is leaving. I think Liverpool are getting a much better player in Milner. Also don't think Citeh will want to pay what Liverpool want for Sterling. Anything over 30 million is a rip off. I wouldn't even feel comfortable with a 20 million bid to be honest. There are a lot better players in the world who could be had for that price. 

Yes, the symbolism is horrible for Liverpool, made even worse by the fact that Milner and Sterling can play in somewhat similar roles. City have the prospects and prestige to tempt Liverpool's bright young thing to hand in a transfer request, Liverpool settle for the guy leaving because he can't regularly get into City's team. 

Right now, Milner is a more useful player than Sterling, and for next season, this is actually a decent result for Liverpool. The problem is what it represents for the future, both in terms of prospects (everyone knows Liverpool don't have any) and financially (Milner may be an excellent player, but he has no resale value). 

Milner is 29 though and Sterling is 20 and Sterling has pace. Just heard that Milner has turned down a new contract at City worth 160k a week. Even his biggest fans on here can see he's not worth that. Must be the most overrated player in the Premier League. 

Has he turned it down because of the money though? I thought I'd read that his mind was made up that he was going to leave City because he isn't in the First XI enough, which I personally find quite an admirable reason for leaving, but of course I may be totally wrong. 

No but its a lot for someone like milner and its strange that he wants to leave because he doesn't get enough first team football as he played a lot of games this season and if he does go to a club like Arsenal then he's likely to get less games given the strength of their midfield. 

From what I'd seen its £160k a week if he plays every game and they win everything, drops to about £90k as a basic wage (only...)

He's not worth that but city's problem is they need strength in depth, could do with an extra body in just about every position, and Milner can play in about 6 of them so he's a valuable squad player to have, plus then the reality is he'll join a rival so that adds to his value, plus then if they bring in a coach who wants to play a high intensity pressing game he's one of the few there that I think could do it so that adds to his value too

Sterling is your stereotypical English winger. lightning quick, brainless, runs in straight lines. Will be another soon to follow in a long line of SWP, Lennon, Townsend and now Sterling

Its why I enjoy watching Grealish play, he has a footballing brain

He's really not. He's not a winger for a start. He was amazing at times last season playing a quick sharp passing game.

What will hold him back is a bad attitude, he really should stay at Liverpool.

Yeah, playing on the wing in the Champions League at Man City will be much worse for him then playing as a centre-forward or at wing-back for Liverpool.

No but its a lot for someone like milner and its strange that he wants to leave because he doesn't get enough first team football as he played a lot of games this season and if he does go to a club like Arsenal then he's likely to get less games given the strength of their midfield. 

Milner just wants to start every week really, he will do at Liverpool. Don't think there's anything in the Arsenal link.

How many games has Milner started in the premier league compared to the Spanish Aaron Lennon?

Navas really is a lot more than Aaron Lennon

he has played nearly 40 times for probably the greatest international team of all time, you dont do that from being a headless chicken

Edited by Zatman

All I see from Navas is he runs fast and belts the ball across the area that obviously a world class striker like Aguero reads every 5th spot, to me he's nothing special and disappears so often from big games, his contribution in the recent Manchester derby was woeful. He'd get a hard press if he was English. To me he's not a Man. City standard type player. He's only scored 4 goals for them in his two seasons there, it's not everything but Sterling would score a few more for a start.

Man City dont have the players to get the best out of Navas. At Sevilla he had Negredo, Kanoute and Fabiano who thrived with his service. Closest is Dzeko and he is crap now

Im sure he was top assist table in La Liga one season which is impressive when you dont play for Real or Barcelona

Navas is the only real wide player they have. Sterling would give them another option and if they keep Pellegrini it'll be Silva/Sterling as the two 'wingers' in their odd 4-4-2.

Pogba to replace Yaya and that'll be that for them unless they sell a few.

Of course Sterling could go to Arsenal but they have about three better players in his favoured position as it is.

He could also go to Manure, which would be hilarious.

Saw this on another forum. dont know where it was linked from but... 

Inter will be due €11m from Sunderland for Ricardo Alvarez after the Black Cats secured Premier League safety.

The midfielder was loaned to Wearside this summer, with the Nerazzurri including a clause obliging the English side to buy the player if they avoided relegation.

Following a 0-0 draw with Arsenal last night, Sunderland will now be required to pay out the €11m, with €1m deducted having already been paid for the initial loan.

The 27-year-old has made just five Premier League starts since his loan move, but did score in an FA Cup win over Fulham.

their transfer policy has been tragic. i have no idea who he is

Edited by gharperr

Saw this on another forum. dont know where it was linked from but... Inter will be due €11m from Sunderland for Ricardo Alvarez after the Black Cats secured Premier League safety.The midfielder was loaned to Wearside this summer, with the Nerazzurri including a clause obliging the English side to buy the player if they avoided relegation.Following a 0-0 draw with Arsenal last night, Sunderland will now be required to pay out the €11m, with €1m deducted having already been paid for the initial loan.The 27-year-old has made just five Premier League starts since his loan move, but did score in an FA Cup win over Fulham.

their transfer policy has been tragic

It's amazing that like us, even after O'Neill pissed away a shitload of money on utter dogturd, they've continued doing it. It's like his ghost stays on for a few years and possesses their cheque book.

Alvarez isn't a bad player, just totally unsuited to the premier league.

Having a deal in place to buy after a loan spell isn't bizarre, what I bizarre is the manager who signed him & agreed to that deal didn't play him.

And poyet cannot blame a the dof for signing him because poyet said rodwell and Alvarez were the two player he wanted last summer.

As good as he is I don't think Sterling is good enough to be a regular in the Man City team. He'd probably end up just being a squad player. He might win things but not sure how much of a part he'd end up playing.

City aren't exactly brimming to the rim with wide players. Navas isn't all that good and Nasri is inconsistant and out of favour. If they splash out on Sterling, he'll get games.