Call of Duty: Black Ops

FoFiveKing

The Assault Rifle designated the Commando appears to just be an M4 so no entirely sure why it's got a different name.

The Colt Commando is the CAR-15, essentially the carbine model from the Aramalite series and it is what the M4 was developed from.

Its what British Special Forces used before we went Canadian.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite amazing how many guns are based on the design of either the AK47 (1940s, obviously) the G3 (1950s) or the AR15 (1950s) and most things since have been refinements of those designs. I assume that the AUG (early 1970s) was the last real innovation with its bullpup design. The FAMAS and the British SA80 some of the guns are based on that idea.

I dont know why so little has changed. I guess a lot of it is for manufacture reasons, you want a standard ammo size so you have NATO standards (7.62 NATO, (based on the AK47's 7.62m round) and 5.56 NATO) and you want parts to be interchangable too. I think most new guns are modular in design, so you can take a Styer AUG assault rifle, change the barrel and it becomes a light machine gun (AUG HBAR, or Heavy Barrel) or you can change the receiver to make it fire different ammo, like the 7.62mm SCAR-H (Heavy) that is in MW2 or the 5.56mm SCAR-L (light) that is in Battlefield Bad Company. Modern design is just refinement. You change the materials from say, a wooden stock to a plastic one so guns become lighter, stronger and more durable. The basic design of killing people was perfected a long time ago.

And yes, I know that anybody who reads this with a basic understanding of firearms will cringe at my utter lack of knowledge and reliance on speculation, but like I said, I know nothing at all about guns other than stuff on Wikipedia and IMFDB.

Ground zero for assault rifles comes from the German Stg 44. The AK-47 is very similar looking, with the banana clip.

The Scar-L 16 series has been dropped by SOCOM. They're looking at the H/17 model with the 7.62mm now.

Again I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of British guns though. The L86 was the only one in MW2, wasn't it? The Accuracy International sniper rifle is in Black Ops, but for a series with so many British characters they dont use many of our guns!

It doesn’t help the case that the MoD bought our Special Force’s weaponry from Colt and now Diemaco, but I think the L85 should be in there over that abortion the F2000.

Old Hill. Saying no more because i dont want the bloke arrested!

Always keeps interested parties informed of 'early' release dates :winkold:

I love Neil. He's ace.

Stu, your surname doesn't begin with a 'H' does it? >_>

Nah mate begins with a T.

Ive always wondered if i know any of the local lads on here actually. Ur username gives nothing away though!!

Me too. I went to Heathfields during secondary school. I'm 26 now. Feels like a life time ago

• 2 weeks later...

Bought COD2 on release day last year from Morrisons (it was on offer).

Played the first couple of levels and then went straight onto PSN and havent gone back to finish the game in full. Not sure at the moment I will rush out to buy the next release so quickly.

Â