Call of Duty: Black Ops

FoFiveKing

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had the phone call ive been waiting for.

''alright Wig...im getting my delivery of Black Ops in on the Saturday (6/11/10) so i will drop it off once i shut the shop (1pm), it was the hardened version you wanted wasnt it?''

Its not what you know boys...

8)

It'll be Cold War era weapons. A lot will be recognisable from Modern Warfare 2.

In fact, heres the full list of whats currently believed to be available in game.

Assault Rifles

* M16

* Enfield

* M14

* FAMAS

* Galil

* AUG

* FAL

* AK-47

* Commando

* G11

Submachine Guns

* MP5K

* MAC-11

* AK-74u

* Skorpion

* Uzi

* Spectre M4

* MPL

* PM-63

* OTs-02 Kiparis

Light Machine Guns

* RPK

* M60

* HK21

* Stoner 63

Sniper Rifles

* L96A1

* Dragunov

* WA2000

Shotguns

* SPAS

* KS-23

* Stakeout

* HS-10

* Olympia

Pistols

* M1911

* Python

* Makarov

* ASP

* CZ75

Launchers

* RPG-7

* China Lake

* M72 LAW

Other

* Crossbow

* Ballistic Knife

link

Most modern weapons are from Cold War development so not surprising that a lot of the weapons are ones you'd recognise from COD4 or MW2.

The Assault Rifle designated the Commando appears to just be an M4 so no entirely sure why it's got a different name.

I'm surprised they didn't put in a gimmick like one of the coolest Cold War weapons, the APS Amphibious Assault Rifle, a gun specifically designed to be fired underwater.

I think the "commando" name is a wink and a nod to a certain extremely unpopular perk from Modern Warfare 2. It was used in Vietnam from 1967 and pre dates the M4 by a good thirty years.

It is a variation on the design of the M4, but then the M4 is just a variant of the parent design, the AR15 (the M16 is another variant) the key differences between every gun is the barrel length. The M16 has a 20" barrel, its a big old rifle. The M4 is a carbine, it has a 14.5" barrel. The Colt Commando has an 11.5" barrel, so it's smaller and lighter. You can see it on the Colt website here.

I'm guessing it will play like the M4/ACR do in MW2. Fully automatic, low damage (30/20?) with a high rate of fire and low/moderate recoil.

The MW's always have more buzz about them, they always seem to bring something completely new. Where was WAW and BO are just a bit of a rehash of MW's.
Yet Black Ops had probably added more new features than any other COD.

Yeah but as far as i can tell they use the MW engine. Then just add there own things too it. So it's just more of the same but done in a different way. MW2 weren't all that brilliant to be honest so I dont have high hopes for this game, will still buy it of course.

I think the "commando" name is a wink and a nod to a certain extremely unpopular perk from Modern Warfare 2. It was used in Vietnam from 1967 and pre dates the M4 by a good thirty years.

It is a variation on the design of the M4, but then the M4 is just a variant of the parent design, the AR15 (the M16 is another variant) the key differences between every gun is the barrel length. The M16 has a 20" barrel, its a big old rifle. The M4 is a carbine, it has a 14.5" barrel. The Colt Commando has an 11.5" barrel, so it's smaller and lighter. You can see it on the Colt website here.

I'm guessing it will play like the M4/ACR do in MW2. Fully automatic, low damage (30/20?) with a high rate of fire and low/moderate recoil.

Did not know that.

I knew the M16 and M4 were related, the M4 IIRC is a variant that was brought about by the demands of Special Forces to have a much more adaptable firearm (i.e. more usable than the M16, which is too big, too heavy etc etc), hence I thought the Commando was the M4 because of the SpecOps nature of the game and the sheer look of the thing.

Interesting.

Incidentally this is the first Treyarch game in the series I've any interest at all in, although a lot of that is due to my interest in the time period and the hope that its plot doesn't shit itself inside out like MW2 did.

''alright Wig...im getting my delivery of Black Ops in on the Saturday (6/11/10) so i will drop it off once i shut the shop (1pm), it was the hardened version you wanted wasnt it?''

8)

Is that off my mate Neil???

8)

Is that off my mate Neil???

Who is your mate Neil???

I don't know a lot about guns at all. It's really only videogames that have prompted me to read bits and pieces about their history. It is quite surprising how the vast majority of "modern" assault rifles are based on 40-50 year old designs. It seems guns changed hugely between the end of the second world war and the start of the Vietnam war, and haven't changed much since. It's quite amazing how many guns are based on the design of either the AK47 (1940s, obviously) the G3 (1950s) or the AR15 (1950s) and most things since have been refinements of those designs. I assume that the AUG (early 1970s) was the last real innovation with its bullpup design. The FAMAS and the British SA80 some of the guns are based on that idea.

I dont know why so little has changed. I guess a lot of it is for manufacture reasons, you want a standard ammo size so you have NATO standards (7.62 NATO, (based on the AK47's 7.62m round) and 5.56 NATO) and you want parts to be interchangable too. I think most new guns are modular in design, so you can take a Styer AUG assault rifle, change the barrel and it becomes a light machine gun (AUG HBAR, or Heavy Barrel) or you can change the receiver to make it fire different ammo, like the 7.62mm SCAR-H (Heavy) that is in MW2 or the 5.56mm SCAR-L (light) that is in Battlefield Bad Company. Modern design is just refinement. You change the materials from say, a wooden stock to a plastic one so guns become lighter, stronger and more durable. The basic design of killing people was perfected a long time ago.

And yes, I know that anybody who reads this with a basic understanding of firearms will cringe at my utter lack of knowledge and reliance on speculation, but like I said, I know nothing at all about guns other than stuff on Wikipedia and IMFDB.

Even the bullpup design is about 60 years old now Rev, it just needed more refinement than simple rifle design because of the inherent issues in such a set up. Still hasn't stopped the US not liking them mind, they dislike the difficulty in field maintenance that can come with a bullpup design. With some justification too, the debacle we had with the SA80 in deserts was due mostly to the complications of bullpup design (and was also why we had Heckler & Koch give them a reworking.

But yes, guns haven't really got anywhere to go that they haven't already. We've reached most of the levels necessary for more or less any situation a firearm can face - reliability, range, accuracy, fire rate... Indeed in terms of how we're propelling bullets we've reached the apex of whats possible (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, we don't need anymore energy in handheld firearms). The thing now is just developing on some issues found with current designs. The last sniper rifle the US has invested heavily in, the M110, was for example just considered an upgrade to get rid of the issues inherent with a bolt action rifle that they had been using (bolt action rifles have been traditionally preferred for their ease of use and reliability and consistant accuracy... however that accuracy is undermined by the slow rate of fire and by the tiny movements that can be made in a shooters position just by reloading). They'd decided the time had come to reinvest in a semi-auto sniper rifle and that the technology to reduce recoil issues and so on so got a company to knock out an adapted variant of the AR10 with AR15 commonality).

Thats just a textbook example, homogenise the firearms as much as possible so the user is used to maintainence and needs only to be retrained in the specificities of the role required (as well as keeping parts costs and so on on down), and simply develop out the foibles.

The next evolutionary step for firearms is either electronic operation on the lines of current firearms (i.e. the gun uses an electrical circuit to fire off the bullet rather than a mechanical hammer system) or in the longer term and on the much, much larger scale end, rail guns, which we're apparently one of the foremost nations in development of. Just need to overcome the vibration issue in firing them, and the heat issue and erosion issue... but then they'll become the norm (;)).

Incidentally reading up on railguns is awe inspiring. We're on the verge of being able to fire quite small rounds (in the heavy ordance scale of things) so spectacularly fast that they can obliterate enormous structures, with good accuracy.

...yeah I did a uni course where a lot of this kinda thing was important to know :oops:

What a bloke.

Had his delivery of FIFA 11's in late last tuesday night, rang round the interested parties and kept shop open till they got their fix.

Legend.

Is that the shop in Cradley Heath near the KFC?

jesus, used to buy master system games in there! i havent been in for, must be 15 years. looks like ill have start making friends with him as im moving near haden hill 8)

Old Hill. Saying no more because i dont want the bloke arrested!

Always keeps interested parties informed of 'early' release dates :winkold:

I love Neil. He's ace.

Stu, your surname doesn't begin with a 'H' does it? >_>

Nah mate begins with a T.

Ive always wondered if i know any of the local lads on here actually. Ur username gives nothing away though!!

I dont think that matters. They regularly changed gun stats between games anyway. The FAMAS in Black Ops will be completely different to the FAMAS in MW2.

Its fun to see different guns though. I think there are always going to be a core of guns that appear in almost every game as they are so iconic (AK47 being the best example, and arguably the M16) but its neat to see them change it up. Again I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of British guns though. The L86 was the only one in MW2, wasn't it? The Accuracy International sniper rifle is in Black Ops, but for a series with so many British characters they dont use many of our guns!

Â