Call of Duty: Black Ops

FoFiveKing

Surely the dropshot is the sign of a good player?

Nope...Just a noob! :winkold:

Touché.

It's certainly not noobish though, it's just Call of Duty's variation on the circle strafe, circle strafing being of (somewhat) limited use given how quickly you can die in this series. It might annoy people who play with melee on the right thumb stick, but **** those guys, they play with melee on the right thumb stick!

Dropshot?? :confused:
It's where you fire and "drop" to prone while shooting. It's a tactic to make the other guy miss you in a one on one gunfight. Sometimes you will give him an easy headshot as you dive into the path of his bullets, but most of the time you will get out of the way of his bullets while yours stay on target. Works best with the Tactical control layout on consoles, you give up being able to kill people with your knife so cheaply and easily, but you gain more survivability at range.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh i get ya. Never got to the stage where i encorporated it regularly into my game, although i have done it in the past. As you say though Rev, its probably a sign of a good player as when they go prone they have to adjust their aim to get the kill. Takes a fair bit of skill to do it effectively.

Oh and on that subject, has anybody noticed on the black ops trailers how you can do a running dive onto the floor to go straight into prone?? Looks ace!

Cut out dropshots? Surely the dropshot is the sign of a good player?
Not really, just a way to get a cheap, easy, kill. I see it as no different as commando, danger close grenade launchers, etc.

On the subject of annoying things, I was on COD4 yesterday, the snipers on there are even more ridiculous than on MW2! Shoot anywhere near someone and you'll get the hit/kill. Started out 20-1 in one game with barely actually shooting anyone at all.

Not really, just a way to get a cheap, easy, kill. I see it as no different as commando, danger close grenade launchers, etc.

there are no cheap kills, or cheap moves, or anything in games aside from exploits

the developers put these things in there intentionally, so theyre there to be used. if people are using them and keep killing you with them, thats your fault for being too shit to figure out a way around it like youre supposed to

people who complain about perks in cod are the same as people who complain about continuous fireball chuckers in street fighter. guys who do that arent cheap players, theyre shit players, and if you were any good youd know how to beat them

there are 3 options with online play imo

1) play to win at all costs (aside from exploits)

2) play to have fun, but dont whinge when players from group 1 continually destroy you

3) dont play online

there are no cheap kills, or cheap moves, or anything in games aside from exploits

the developers put these things in there intentionally, so theyre there to be used. if people are using them and keep killing you with them, thats your fault for being too shit to figure out a way around it like youre supposed to

people who complain about perks in cod are the same as people who complain about continuous fireball chuckers in street fighter. guys who do that arent cheap players, theyre shit players, and if you were any good youd know how to beat them

there are 3 options with online play imo

1) play to win at all costs (aside from exploits)

2) play to have fun, but dont whinge when players from group 1 continually destroy you

3) dont play online

I'm not sure that is entirely true. There are things which make it into games that are clearly not balanced. MW2 has several of these in the form of perks which is a shame, especially when the guns and killstreaks are pretty much spot on. I think the gun balance in MW2 is as good as any game ever.

You cant tell me Marathon is balanced though. Or Commando. Or One Man Army. Yes, they were deliberately put into the game by the developer but you do have to question whether they were play tested properly or not. The ripper and OMA - unlimited Noob Tube kits would have been picked up in a public beta within a week or so of it being live and community pressure might have kept them out of the final game.

Yes, there are things in the game which people complain about that are clearly intended to be there. Last Stand/Final Chance is the obvious one, and Noob Tubes are another, but they tend to get complained about by people who cant or wont accept the game is designed to appeal to all players, not just the top 10%. It's like the critical hit system in TF2, you have to give the inexperienced or low ability player something to work with or the game becomes impenetrable to new players like Counter Strike has.

Don't know what that [circle strafe] is.

AiZVN.gif

It's making the other guy miss while staying on target yourself. It's just like the drop shot or jump shot.

Surely the dropshot is the sign of a good player?

Nope...Just a noob! :winkold:

Touché.

It's certainly not noobish though, it's just Call of Duty's variation on the circle strafe, circle strafing being of (somewhat) limited use given how quickly you can die in this series. It might annoy people who play with melee on the right thumb stick, but **** those guys, they play with melee on the right thumb stick!

Dropshot?? :confused:
It's where you fire and "drop" to prone while shooting. It's a tactic to make the other guy miss you in a one on one gunfight. Sometimes you will give him an easy headshot as you dive into the path of his bullets, but most of the time you will get out of the way of his bullets while yours stay on target. Works best with the Tactical control layout on consoles, you give up being able to kill people with your knife so cheaply and easily, but you gain more survivability at range.

In my experience at least 'drop shotting' is only useful in FFA, any other game mode and you rarely get a close range gun to gun battle, and I had managed to get the right stick to stab thing into my head to a point that it became natural everytime somebody got close. I did change to tactical layout for a while, and I only really found use for it in FFA, otherwise it's just not worth it to me.

Don't understand how it can be the sign of a good player really.

Anyway onto Black Ops, I'm so happy about the decision to get rid of stopping power, I just hope that decision doesn't mean they up the power of the guns so they all have stopping power. An extra bullet kill would make for a slightly different experience online, and it's needed. Especially with the no-recoil guns of MW2

I hope they just keep it like WaW online, rather than trying to make it like the MW games. People may not have liked it that much, but you can't really find much out if balance in the game. Sure everyone complains about the MP40, but the damage it does is balanced out by the fact it's impossible to control. Recoil will be important to the balancing of the weapons, hopefully they get it right, though I still can't understand the logic in not having a beta.

I still can't understand the logic in not having a beta.

They know people are desperate to play it, so not having a beta will have a huge impact on day one sales because the people who would have played the beta for free for two weeks then not bought the game on release wont be there to **** their profits up.

It makes for a worse game because public betas always throw up issues that the behind closed doors stuff wont show. But Activision are in the business of being in business, and this way makes the most money. They are probably cock-a-hoop that most of the MW2 players out there are desperate to move on to a new game too.

Can't say I've ever played a CoD campaign and felt taken back, or deeply interested in it. I thought CoD4's was good, WaW's was okay and MW2's was amazing but pretty poor in a Michael Bay film sort of way.

Don't really know what I should set my goal K/D for in this game. Think I'll just try maintain a 2.0+ as if it gets higher it just stops being fun to play.

I try to just improve upon mine for each game. Though it'll be more difficult this time I think. It'd be cool if Infinity Ward had a deep stats site like Treyarch did for WaW where you could see how many kills you get with everything. I imagine half of my kills are from air support!

I try to just improve upon mine for each game. Though it'll be more difficult this time I think. It'd be cool if Infinity Ward had a deep stats site like Treyarch did for WaW where you could see how many kills you get with everything. I imagine half of my kills are from air support!
I have worked out, very roughly that probably 20% of mine were from air support, which is absolutely crazy when you think about it. The game shouldn't be like that, Treyarch's decision on the killstreaks is such a good thing. Killstreaks became too dominant in MW2, Harriers etc up in every game at least twice.

I have to admit that I completely overused the whole one man army/noob tube thing. Getting to the kill streaks was therefore very easy and required very little skill at all. I felt it though when I prestiged, as actually having to kill people properly suddenly became very difficult.

Â